| FTBL Interesting view on margin of win, Alabama at #1, etc...

G

You may have seen this on al.com -

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/10/how_do_voters_view_margin_of_v.html

This is what got me.

Adam Van Brimmer of the Savannah Morning News: "It's not that arbitrary for me. Point spread can be a factor, but if you won by a large margin because of special teams TDs, turnovers, etc., that plays into it. What you really want to know is will Penn State jump Alabama on my ballot if both remain unbeaten? The answer to that is no. In fact, a one-loss Alabama team might even end up in front on my ballot (so long as they beat UF or UGA in title game). As for Texas-Texas Tech this weekend, a Texas Tech win will likely vault them to No. 1 on my ballot. But Alabama will have chances later in the season to move back in front."

Wow, I just don't even know what to say to either of those last comments.

BamaDelta said:
You may have seen this on al.com -

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/10/how_do_voters_view_margin_of_v.html

This is what got me.

Adam Van Brimmer of the Savannah Morning News: "It's not that arbitrary for me. Point spread can be a factor, but if you won by a large margin because of special teams TDs, turnovers, etc., that plays into it. What you really want to know is will Penn State jump Alabama on my ballot if both remain unbeaten? The answer to that is no. In fact, a one-loss Alabama team might even end up in front on my ballot (so long as they beat UF or UGA in title game). As for Texas-Texas Tech this weekend, a Texas Tech win will likely vault them to No. 1 on my ballot. But Alabama will have chances later in the season to move back in front."

Wow, I just don't even know what to say to either of those last comments.

This is why poll votes should not be in the hands of sportswriters. Most don't know the game, just as most reporters don't fully understand the topic they're covering (business reporters are notorious for being dangerously ignurnt).

The entire comment is indefensible. He first discounts the role of defense and special teams in the game of football. He then says an unbeaten Penn State is incapable of jumping an unbeaten Bama (what if we stink it up against Arky State?), but Texas Tech will vault from 6 to 1 by beating Texas, only to be jumped again by a one-loss SEC Champion Bama.

If we keep winning we'll be fine. Otherwise, we're at the mercy of logic-free pollsters.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom