| FTBL I'm guessing we will have to learn a diffrent defense?

It's not that big of a change. Bama has played in nicked over 80% of the time under Saban.

The difference is going to be on the line; I think. I've seen UW drop into a sub package in the video's I've seen. I don't know if that's CDK, or is that was more of Morrell's influence.

It's not that big of a change. Bama has played in nicked over 80% of the time under Saban.

The difference is going to be on the line; I think. I've seen UW drop into a sub package in the video's I've seen. I don't know if that's CDK, or is that was more of Morrell's influence.
I know you will find this shocking that I am going to say this but CKD better make D a priority. This has probably not been his norm but just ask Lincoln Riley if fielding a lights out offense is enough? Bama does not expect good teams but demand great teams as we all know.

I know you will find this shocking that I am going to say this but CKD better make D a priority. This has probably not been his norm but just ask Lincoln Riley if fielding a lights out offense is enough? Bama does not expect good teams but demand great teams as we all know.

If doesn't now, he will soon. However. . . will he place a strong emphasis on it still? The team will know if they are physical, defensive minded team based on how they practice. Most offensive minded coaches neglect defensive reps & they are more or less absent from the defense.

I'll add this:

Wommack has got to know the opportunity that is at his feet right now. After playing as a Razorback & being a HC at South Alabama, he knows that Alabama IS the premier spot in coaching. He's got to take advantage of it. He knows that defense matters here & why. Lastly, he has access to CNS. Hell, if I was him, I'd have weekly meetings with CNS about coaching defense. There is so much to learn from him. IF he does this right, he'll be the next Kirby smart & maybe get to turn around his alumni years from now... We'll see.

Last edited:
One thing I was curious about: in the 3-3-5 (which is Nickel in the 3 man front) the Jack LB would often line up in a 2 point stance on the edge. In a 4 man front the Jack will be a down linemen, but would he still sometimes be in a 2 point stance? And would he still be a smaller player? For example, a typical defensive end is over 6 ft and is normally 280-300 pounds. A Jack LB is typically over 6 ft but normally ranges from 240-260. So does the 4 man front still employ a Jack LB or a true defensive end?
Also, in the 3 man front you usually have a large DT (320-340 pounds) to clog the middle and 2 defensive ends. With a 4 man front you normally would have 2 DTs (300-320) and 2 defensive ends. Normally you won't see a Mt Cody in a 4 man front. I think the D line is the biggest difference between the 3 and 4 man front. But if you run multiples you could switch in and out to confuse the offense. It will be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom