| RECRUIT CKD's first recruiting class

musso

After reviewing our roster, it just occurred to me how many players we could lose after this season. Lots of players will have completed at least 3 seasons. We could lose a ton on the DL, our two starting LBs (and the only LBs with any experience), and all of our defensive backs with any experience -- the transfers from USC and Michigan in addition to Malachi Moore and Devonta. So we're talking a complete overhaul on D. On offense our two seasoned OGs could go. If Pritchett wins either starting OT job and has a good season, I could see him gone. We will lose our two most experienced TEs. Plus, these days we have to account for more vacancies from additional transfers.

The point is, CKD's first class in '25 will have to be comparable to Saban's historic second class to keep the program from dipping noticeably. And let's face it, signing a class close to Saban's '08 class will be exponentially harder in this era. CKD will have to sign not only a huge class, but he will have to replace a lot of 5 and 4 star talent.

I believe that we are entering a new era in college football where recruiting is not the lifeblood of a program. Oh it is still important, and you still want to sign a good class. But with the advent of unrestricted free agency, you can field a talented team through the portal. Ole Miss has done it. Oregon has done it. Lots of schools are getting their talent through the portal. For that matter coach DeBoer did it at Washington. As long as you get a top 20 class in recruiting and fill in gaps with the portal, you can end up filling your roster with 4-5 stars and compete for titles. I think DeBoer is going to be a very good recruiter, but I also think he will manage the portal better than Saban, who did find a few gems during his tenure.

After reviewing our roster, it just occurred to me how many players we could lose after this season. Lots of players will have completed at least 3 seasons. We could lose a ton on the DL, our two starting LBs (and the only LBs with any experience), and all of our defensive backs with any experience -- the transfers from USC and Michigan in addition to Malachi Moore and Devonta. So we're talking a complete overhaul on D. On offense our two seasoned OGs could go. If Pritchett wins either starting OT job and has a good season, I could see him gone. We will lose our two most experienced TEs. Plus, these days we have to account for more vacancies from additional transfers.

The point is, CKD's first class in '25 will have to be comparable to Saban's historic second class to keep the program from dipping noticeably. And let's face it, signing a class close to Saban's '08 class will be exponentially harder in this era. CKD will have to sign not only a huge class, but he will have to replace a lot of 5 and 4 star talent.
You know we have transfer portal?

The one thing I wished Alabama would do is get a collegiate wrestling program started..We have a lot of great wrestlers leaving this state that compete in dual sports.. It would be nice to get some of those wrestlers at our school playing dual sports..namely football..

Ole Miss has done it.
We've seen their roster on paper but not the field yet.

You know we have transfer portal?
Oh really? What's that? :rolleyes:

My point is that we're going to need a large class that includes a blend of immediate contributors and depth. And I think too much is being made of transfers. Yes, the portal can be used with success to plug a hole here and there. But I'm skeptical of relying on it beyond that. Culture matters, and culture is created by community and retention.

But hey, if I'm wrong and it no longer matters if our players develop AT BAMA with OUR facilities, OUR support staff, OUR coaches, OUR nutritionists, OUR athletic trainers, etc. and we can let them develop at other schools at their expense ... then let's liquidate all of the bloated budgets, salaries, equipment, facilities, etc. and just start handing out as much cash as possible. Mrs Terri had it right.

We've seen their roster on paper but not the field yet.
Seriously? Lane Kiffin has not had a losing season at Ole Miss. How many winning seasons had Ole Miss had before he got there? How many 10 win seasons had they had before he arrived. Lane Kiffin has turned Ole Miss into a serious contender for an SEC title, largely through the use of the portal. Not even Eli Manning could turn Ole Miss into a serious contender. Even Hugh Freeze only had one ten win season there. The portal works, and Lane Kiffin is proving it.

The portal works, and Lane Kiffin is proving it.
The portal "works," yes, for an Ole Miss to attain a status of respectability. To keep a program among the top 2 or 3 in the nation? I say no. Again, I believe the elite and most consistent programs will have the greatest degree of player retention and development. Yes, maybe the stars will align every now and then and a portal roster will go far into the playoffs. But afterwards, they will all leave for the NFL. You won't see portal dynasties, but you will always see dynasties formed by player retention, player development, and consistent culture.

Last edited:
Seriously? Lane Kiffin has not had a losing season at Ole Miss. How many winning seasons had Ole Miss had before he got there? How many 10 win seasons had they had before he arrived. Lane Kiffin has turned Ole Miss into a serious contender for an SEC title, largely through the use of the portal. Not even Eli Manning could turn Ole Miss into a serious contender. Even Hugh Freeze only had one ten win season there. The portal works, and Lane Kiffin is proving it.

Ole Miss isn't truly a threat. Alabama showed that. They beat who they should beat and win one or two that are coin flips. They have to win the ones they aren't expected to win to be true challengers, and they haven't been able to.

Let's look at the transfer portal in the last three years for Top 7 teams:

2022: Ole Miss, USC, South carolina, LSU, Louisville, Miami and Texas
2023: Colorado, Louisville, USC, UCLA Auburn, Ole miss, Arkansas
2024: As of right now, and it may change in few weeks, but it is
Louisville, Colorado, Ole miss, FSU, South carolina and NC State.

So I'll pick Ole Miss, USC, Louisville since they have been so active in the last three years.

Ole Miss: 10-3, 8-5 and 11-2 - They have done well. Transfer portal helped.
USC- 4-8, 11-3, 8-5 - They was doing well until the last few games where they regressed. Transfer portal helped.
Louisville- 6-7, 8-5, 10-4 Transfer portal definitely helped.

I don't see this going anyway anytime soon. More and more teams are realizing that Teams can actually win with right players out of the portal. So yes, they can be a top 5 team in the nation.

Oh, Ole Miss was and is always a threat in SEC.... Kiffin is always a threat to any other coaches on the field, except for Sark. Kiffin and Sark can go tic and toe with each other.

and all of our defensive backs with any experience -- the transfers from USC and Michigan in addition to Malachi Moore and Devonta. So we're talking a complete overhaul on D.

CKD will have to sign not only a huge class, but he will have to replace a lot of 5 and 4 star talent.

A little premature worry in my eyes. We don't know what'll happen with the spring portal: we could see Bama land another corner. Setting that possibility aside ...

Hurley is coming off of a redshirt year. I wonder how Mbakwe will be used. Mincey will grow some more and "football guys" are raving over Brown.

All four of those guys were rated a five star by one service or another. With all appearances they'll be running with three corner's a lot all they need to a couple of guys to fill out the three deep for '25.

Mitchell, Dre Jr., and Morgan are three that can back up Malachi. While Sabb will man the rover spot it's another position Tony Mitchell can play. Here's a position Mincey can grow in to as well.

Smith is the likely safety and here's another position to watch with Mincey.

There's still a few guys who's names I'm missing...

A little premature worry in my eyes. We don't know what'll happen with the spring portal: we could see Bama land another corner.
Well what we do know is there isn't much room at all. By my count maybe we have one spot available after accounting for Proctor's return. Maybe we could push out a back up QB after Spring to free up a scholly. But we're back to my concern of soliciting another transfer who would likely be NFL eligible after this season. Hard not to be excited about the incoming DB class, but again we will need more bodies after losing the only four veterans we have (likely 4 of the 5 starters this season).

"Premature worry"???? Who? Me??

Well what we do know is there isn't much room at all. By my count maybe we have one spot available after accounting for Proctor's return. Maybe we could push out a back up QB after Spring to free up a scholly. But we're back to my concern of soliciting another transfer who would likely be NFL eligible after this season. Hard not to be excited about the incoming DB class, but again we will need more bodies after losing the only four veterans we have (likely 4 of the 5 starters this season).

"Premature worry"???? Who? Me??
I wouldn't worry about 2025 just yet. With the 2025 class/ mixed with transfer guys.. we'll be fine.

Let's look at the transfer portal in the last three years for Top 7 teams:

2022: Ole Miss, USC, South carolina, LSU, Louisville, Miami and Texas
2023: Colorado, Louisville, USC, UCLA Auburn, Ole miss, Arkansas
2024: As of right now, and it may change in few weeks, but it is
Louisville, Colorado, Ole miss, FSU, South carolina and NC State.

So I'll pick Ole Miss, USC, Louisville since they have been so active in the last three years.

Ole Miss: 10-3, 8-5 and 11-2 - They have done well. Transfer portal helped.
USC- 4-8, 11-3, 8-5 - They was doing well until the last few games where they regressed. Transfer portal helped.
Louisville- 6-7, 8-5, 10-4 Transfer portal definitely helped.

I don't see this going anyway anytime soon. More and more teams are realizing that Teams can actually win with right players out of the portal. So yes, they can be a top 5 team in the nation.

Oh, Ole Miss was and is always a threat in SEC.... Kiffin is always a threat to any other coaches on the field, except for Sark. Kiffin and Sark can go tic and toe with each other.

An 11-2 record does not mean you're a threat. It's all about matchups and they have always lost games to teams better than them. It's as simple as matchups, and I see that every weekend on a travel baseball level. A team can go 2-0 and be the third worst team out of 20 and they get blown out in bracket play by a 17-seed. Same with Ole Miss. Same with USC. Same with Louisville. No wins that have shown they are Tier 1 level or threats. Sure, for those programs, winning 10 games is great, and I can agree that is great, but being a threat to National Championship caliber teams is not the same on a consistent basis.

Ole Miss - Alabama
2021 - 42-21 - L
2022 - 30-24 - L
2023 - 24-10 - L
I don't consider beating Penn State a landscape altering win. Penn State could easily be on this list that i could point to if they in fact were heavy portal wise.

USC - Utah
2021 - 42-26 - L
2022 - 43-42 - L
2022 - 47-24 - L Pac-12 Championship
2023 - 34-32 - L

Louisville - Clemson
2021 - 30-24 - L
2022 - 31-16 - L
2023 - Did not play
Lost to Duke 23-0, ha ha.
I'm not even going to rehash the ACC Championship game.

Back
Top Bottom