| LIFE How do you tip?

Some restaurants will change you a % by using your card. It's not because of the cashless thing people are talking about. It's the card company raising their price to the restaurant using their card.
I've quit going to restaurants who have the additional "transaction fee" for using a credit/debit card. They should absorb that as a way of securing my business.

And, in related news . . . I really miss getting Taco Casa once a week.

I've quit going to restaurants who have the additional "transaction fee" for using a credit/debit card. They should absorb that as a way of securing my business.

And, in related news . . . I really miss getting Taco Casa once a week.

I eat at Taco Casa on average, maybe 8-10 times a year... mostly because my little girl likes their food... so I take her fairly often. I like their food too, but like most everything else, it's not worth the price these days... I can go eat at Jalapenos for the same price or cheaper. But, I do try to always pay with cash now to save a little... I honestly don't mind restaurants doing that... offering the option. There a lot of places down on the gulf now that do it, and when you're paying for 4-6 folks, the cash option is nice to have.

I eat at Taco Casa on average, maybe 8-10 times a year... mostly because my little girl likes their food... so I take her fairly often. I like their food too, but like most everything else, it's not worth the price these days... I can go eat at Jalapenos for the same price or cheaper. But, I do try to always pay with cash now to save a little... I honestly don't mind restaurants doing that... offering the option. There a lot of places down on the gulf now that do it, and when you're paying for 4-6 folks, the cash option is nice to have.

My first semester in T-town I live just down the street from Taco Casa their taco salad was my go to.

If I'm picking it up? No.
In many operations, a portion of the tips go to the kitchen. If I grab Carrabba's to go, order it and park to wait on it, and the runner has made sure I've got everything, a little loaf of bread and the oil/spice mix, it's all done up nice, I'll leave 10-15% in that environment. 10% is typical for to-go from a full service place.

My first semester in T-town I live just down the street from Taco Casa their taco salad was my go to.

Same here, I get it every time. I do like their extra hot beef tacos too. The key is, I have to eat there... stuff gets too soggy if I take to go. On the taco salad... sometimes you get lucky and the person making it has a heavy hand with the ingredients... those are the best!

In many operations, a portion of the tips go to the kitchen. If I grab Carrabba's to go, order it and park to wait on it, and the runner has made sure I've got everything, a little loaf of bread and the oil/spice mix, it's all done up nice, I'll leave 10-15% in that environment. 10% is typical for to-go from a full service place.
Bringing it to the car is one thing. Walking inside to pick it up, another.

Thinking about it ... prolly tip Sonic workers higher than anyone.

One thing I don't care for is the tip shaming (even if not intentional) that we are seeing more and more of with these ipad tablets that the cashier spins around when all you did was order a donut and a bottle of water.

Just to clarify on this, I don't mind tip jars... In fact, in some places I think they are a good idea and I'll often throw in a buck or two... like a busy night at Firehouse Subs... they've got 2 people working and trying to get all the orders out... to me, their hard work should be rewarded/appreciated with a little tip. There's a little Chinese joint nearby... I always throw a few bucks in their jar... family run, and they work hard... seem to be good folks and their menu prices are more than fair.

Same server and bartender checks my to go order every week. I tip 20 to 30 percent. He takes care of us. Text me the chef special for that day.

I see 2 dollar tips at waffle house. I always tip 5 to 10 dollars. They will take care of you. Those girls appreciate it.

Same server and bartender checks my to go order every week. I tip 20 to 30 percent. He takes care of us. Text me the chef special for that day.

I see 2 dollar tips at waffle house. I always tip 5 to 10 dollars. They will take care of you. Those girls appreciate it.
This reminds me of Harvey's on McFarland when I was in my undergrad years. I lived behind the place for a while...Willow Trace, maybe? I can't remember what it was called right now. I tipped well at that place...and I got what was basically two drinks for one.

This reminds me of Harvey's on McFarland when I was in my undergrad years. I lived behind the place for a while...Willow Trace, maybe? I can't remember what it was called right now. I tipped well at that place...and I got what was basically two drinks for one.
It was Willow Trace back then. Had a few friends that lived there.

I tip based on the service. If it was good, at least 20% or m ore. If it was bad, I MIGHT tip 10%.

I was in food service for almost 30 years. Getting a tip shouldn't be a guaranteed thing. You should have to work to EARN the tip. That has bee forgotten somewhere along the way. And I won't get into the thing I see now with tip jars at places like gas stations and fast food restaurants.

Back
Top Bottom