| LIFE How do you tip?

20%?
30%?

To whom?

IE: A beer cost $3. Are you giving them $5? Your delivery from Walmart is $100. How much for the driver?
I always give at least 15% but sometimes I give 20% or more. It depends on the situation. I have given 30% or more.

I hate it when someone says they’ve got the top, but they live a stingy amount.

There are some servers that don’t make Jack squat. I try to show appreciation for them, and ask to speak to the manager when I think my server was exceptional.

I don’t care for beer, but if I bought one for three bucks I would give at least a dollar. I think that’s the minimum decent tip for anything five bucks or less.

Restaurants: 25% min, average 30-40%,I typically have waitresses (at my regular haunts) just about argue to get me in there section. I treat them well, because I’ve seen how shitty and cheap some ass holes are!!!

Don’t do deliveries on groceries/ food.

I will sometimes ask if the servers share the tips. The servers some will share with the cook. But I give between 15-20%. My wife before we every meet tell my story about some of her tips!

20%?
30%?

To whom?

IE: A beer cost $3. Are you giving them $5? Your delivery from Walmart is $100. How much for the driver?
I always tip 30% at least. If it’s a more upscale place then it‘s 35-45%. I’ve never had a grocery order or anything, but Uber Eats or even some sort of Uber/Lift etc I usually tip based on how far I’m being driven, but again it’s usually 30%

Restaurants: 25% min, average 30-40%,I typically have waitresses (at my regular haunts) just about argue to get me in there section. I treat them well, because I’ve seen how shitty and cheap some ass holes are!!!

Don’t do deliveries on groceries/ food.
I was at a business dinner the other night and the two dudes next to us had $200 worth of food and cocktails and no tip at all (I overheard the waitress and another waitress talking about it)

Typically 20% for meals unless the service was lacking. In cheap country restaurants when I'm traveling, I used to always leave at least $5, no matter the cost, sometimes more if the service is good. It ends up being a much higher percentage, but over the years watching waitresses get no tips or a dollar or less from most customers, and knowing they're working as hard or harder than most I'd encounter in cities, I've always considered it the right thing to do to even it out.

Over the years, I've learned a lot about the restaurant/bar business. I will typically eat at the bar - quicker service and seating - even when I'm not having a drink. Good bartenders in well-run places will usually have some latitude to comp their regulars or address complaints. If you're having dinner and they comp one of your beers, or they don't charge you for your iced tea for lunch, my typical practice is to tip my normal amount and half the price of the comped item. Industry professionals quickly recognize that and you end up getting really good service, and developing continuing relationships.

The shuttle bus driver to offsite parking. $5 if I'm traveling alone with a carry-on, more if I'm checking or my wife is with me. They work like dogs, deal with constant complaints, and endure that first and last two miles of airport traffic that is the worst.

For me, really just depends on my mood. Sit down restaurant… you’d have to really screw up bad to get below 20%. Like bad attitude or some such. There’s a lot that goes on that gets blamed on servers that isn’t fair, and I always try to keep that in mind. But they can control their attitude. Usually, the smaller the type of place, the larger the %. If I'm at City Cafe or Buddy's in Northport for breakfast, they are going to get at least 30%, usually much more. If I'm eating dinner at Southern Ale House, it'll be more in line with 25%. But Mom & Pop type places usually get more from me, as do servers around Christmas time, or anyone that I think may just need a little something extra. One thing to keep in mind about servers, at many places, they are held responsible for customers who dine and dash. Even though it isn't their fault some asshole(s) took off without paying, some places take the money from the waiter/waitress. Imagine dealing with that to start your long weekend shift...

I always try to tip something if I’m picking up carry out at a restaurant too, but it’s closer to 5-10%. A server or bartender still had to get the order together/pack it all up, etc... and that usually deserves something.

I rarely ever have pizza delivered, but when I do, I tip well. 99% of the time I pick it up, but I’ll still tip them. I didn’t always do that, but started doing to regularly during Covid. There’s a Dominoes close to the house that stays busy and shorthanded. There are times I’ll hand the person $5 in cash for a pizza that costs less than $10. At that particular location, you can tell how thankful and appreciative they are to get anything. Even $2. I guess they are rarely ever tipped for pickup orders because they sometimes act surprised by it. But I’ll do the same thing at other pizza places. It is usually quickly followed by a sincere thanks and asking me, if I need any extra sauces or anything.

I rarely ever use Uber/Lyft or cabs, but I’ll tip them well if they are nice and get me where I want without unneeded issues. The airport shuttle drivers = $5 usually.

I've never done food delivery other than pizza... I don't get the whole Uber Eats/Grub Hub stuff unless you're deathly sick or something.

Didn’t used to do this either until a few years ago, but I’ll usually tip housekeeping $3 a day. Doing so may have saved a Bluetooth keyboard from getting left behind on one of my last trips, and housekeeping went out of their way to track me down after we checked out left the hotel.

One thing I don't care for is the tip shaming (even if not intentional) that we are seeing more and more of with these ipad tablets that the cashier spins around when all you did was order a donut and a bottle of water.

If you eat at Baumhower's in Tuscaloosa, don't trust what their receipts say is X%. It was not correct thr last time I went, and when my son and his girlfriend went a month or two ago.

For me, really just depends on my mood. Sit down restaurant… you’d have to really screw up bad to get below 20%. Like bad attitude or some such. There’s a lot that goes on that gets blamed on servers that isn’t fair, and I always try to keep that in mind. But they can control their attitude. Usually, the smaller the type of place, the larger the %. If I'm at City Cafe or Buddy's in Northport for breakfast, they are going to get at least 30%, usually much more. If I'm eating dinner at Southern Ale House, it'll be more in line with 25%. But Mom & Pop type places usually get more from me, as do servers around Christmas time, or anyone that I think may just need a little something extra. One thing to keep in mind about servers, at many places, they are held responsible for customers who dine and dash. Even though it isn't their fault some asshole(s) took off without paying, some places take the money from the waiter/waitress. Imagine dealing with that to start your long weekend shift...

I always try to tip something if I’m picking up carry out at a restaurant too, but it’s closer to 5-10%. A server or bartender still had to get the order together/pack it all up, etc... and that usually deserves something.

I rarely ever have pizza delivered, but when I do, I tip well. 99% of the time I pick it up, but I’ll still tip them. I didn’t always do that, but started doing to regularly during Covid. There’s a Dominoes close to the house that stays busy and shorthanded. There are times I’ll hand the person $5 in cash for a pizza that costs less than $10. At that particular location, you can tell how thankful and appreciative they are to get anything. Even $2. I guess they are rarely ever tipped for pickup orders because they sometimes act surprised by it. But I’ll do the same thing at other pizza places. It is usually quickly followed by a sincere thanks and asking me, if I need any extra sauces or anything.

I rarely ever use Uber/Lyft or cabs, but I’ll tip them well if they are nice and get me where I want without unneeded issues. The airport shuttle drivers = $5 usually.

I've never done food delivery other than pizza... I don't get the whole Uber Eats/Grub Hub stuff unless you're deathly sick or something.

Didn’t used to do this either until a few years ago, but I’ll usually tip housekeeping $3 a day. Doing so may have saved a Bluetooth keyboard from getting left behind on one of my last trips, and housekeeping went out of their way to track me down after we checked out left the hotel.

One thing I don't care for is the tip shaming (even if not intentional) that we are seeing more and more of with these ipad tablets that the cashier spins around when all you did was order a donut and a bottle of water.
Yeah Christmas time the tips get up there for me 60-100%. One of my best friends orders a pizza on Christmas Eve every year, prepays for the pizza with a card. Then always gives the delivery guy, or gal a $100 bill for having to work Christmas Eve.

Yeah Christmas time the tips get up there for me 60-100%. One of my best friends orders a pizza on Christmas Eve every year, prepays for the pizza with a card. Then always gives the delivery guy, or gal a $100 bill for having to work Christmas Eve.
I saw two Waffle House waitresses go at it in Tampa over who was working Christmas Day. Tips are so good on Christmas Day they were fighting over who got to work.

Back
Top Bottom