| FTBL Going Nutts in Oxford?

BamaDelta said:
OK, now I'm totally confused. ;scr

I thought Nutt was forced out, yet this article states he was given a one-year extension. Was there not a pc Monday night announcing his departure from Arkansas?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7494364?MSNHPHMA

Delta, Nutt was forced out but not publically. The Arkansas fanbase and money people have been divided over Nutt for a while now and last year's scandal with Mustain and the other kids that transferred out only fueled the fire for those that hated the guy. I've read on the Arkansas forums where fans were doing things like putting "For Sale" signs in Nutt's front yard and harassing his family. They say that during game days in the stadium it was a total circus. A lot of people generally just made life miserable for him there. Whether it was warrented or not I don't know and don't really care.

But here's the thing (IMHO), how can you publically fire Nutt after finishing 8-4 with a win over LSU? You can't. Or you would never get another coach in there after that. It would be considered career suicide to coach under those conditions and the administration knew it. They had to find a way to do it while saving face, so they cut a deal with Nutt and offered him a severance package to leave. Nutt, loving the money as he does, jumped on it like a fat girl in a donut shop. I seriously doubt Arkansas knew he was looking at Ole Miss as hard as he was when they offered him the package. I suspect Arkansas brass figured they'de be rid of him for good because he's go to Baylor or Houston or somewhere out of conference. Ole Miss threw a monkey wrench into that though.

So Nutt did resign on his own, but there appeared to be a lot of pressure behind the scenes to get him out and be done with it already.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but that's about what I can make out of all the stories coming out on it. But yes, Houston Nutt turned down an offer to stay. So technically he did resign on his own.

Anybody else hear or read about ESPN now questioning Ole Miss' hiring process and practices?

Such a quick hire under the circumstances is apparently raising some eyebrows and questions.

Back
Top Bottom