| FTBL Going Nutts in Oxford?

I

imported_porkchop

I'm having trouble getting it to open and link correctly but the Memphis commercial Appeal is talking it up and saying that the two parties could reach a deal as early as this week.

Looks like Ole Miss may trading in one nut for another. In all honesty though I do think that Nutt would do a pretty decent job there if he does accept the position.

Looks like it may come down to either Ole Miss or GaTech.

Swamptick said:
Being totally serious what appeals would and Ole Miss have over Ga Tech? I would think he would be able to recruit better at Ga Tech.

Thoughts?

GT's admission standards are Vandy-like. He could recruit much easier at Ole Miss.

Swamptick said:
Being totally serious what appeals would and Ole Miss have over Ga Tech? I would think he would be able to recruit better at Ga Tech.

I was thinking just the opposite. MS is a border state to AR so he's probably covered some of those living rooms already. Besides, at Tech he'd have to recruit players who could play AND make the grades for Tech.

ColoradoTide said:
Swamptick said:

I was thinking just the opposite. MS is a border state to AR so he's probably covered some of those living rooms already. Besides, at Tech he'd have to recruit players who could play AND make the grades for Tech.

To me that argument further strengthens the Ole Miss factor. If he does cover alot of the same territory then he already has ties there and would not have to build relationships with new highschool coaches.

I just don't see him going to Oxford. I'm hearing Baylor.

It'll be interesting to see if Nutt's successor can rack up more than 75 wins at Arky over the next decade.

reger60 said:
I just don't see him going to Oxford. I'm hearing Baylor.

It'll be interesting to see if Nutt's successor can rack up more than 75 wins at Arky over the next decade.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I think this will be a good move for Nutt. Granted, he got ousted but the writing was on the wall for a subpar season next year. Nutt's stock hasn't been this high since he won his first West division title and it likely never will be.

Swamptick said:

Thoughts?

Yeah with Georgia talent being what it is I would have to think that he could recruit a lot more succesfully there. But for whatever reason he seems to be the front runner for the Ole Miss job. In my personal opinion I could see him at Ole Miss and it being a much better fit than at Georgia Tech though. Nutt's personality and demeanor seem tailor-made for a school like Ole Miss moreso than some others. Seeing Houston go to GaTech would be like seeing Barry Alvarez come to BAMA. It just doesn't even sound right. Something is inherently wrong with that statement and it doesn't fit.

Nutt to Ole Miss sounds a lot better. But, having said that, some Hogs fans think that Nutt is just trying to put the pressure on GaTech and milk more money out of them.

We'll see what happens.

Joe, Nutt will have to break in another one because Benjarvus Green-Ellis should be gone after this year. he was a transfer from Indiana and he's played 2 years at Ole Miss so I would assume he's done unless he got one of those deals to play 3 years. I'd have to check but I think he's done.

The load now will likely fall to Cordero Eason.

porkchop said:
Joe, Nutt will have to break in another one because Benjarvus Green-Ellis should be gone after this year. he was a transfer from Indiana and he's played 2 years at Ole Miss so I would assume he's done unless he got one of those deals to play 3 years. I'd have to check but I think he's done.

The load now will likely fall to Cordero Eason.

I heard Jones and McFadden are graduating early and will follow him to Oxford.

I keed, I keed. Wouldn't that smoke the hogs, though? :D

RTR,

Tim

Scout is also reporting it's done and Nutt will introduced by Wednesday at the latest. Of course, Scout.com for Michigan were the ones that stated Ferentz was getting that job so... :|

It looks like it's a done deal though.

Maybe it's just something I'm sensitized to because I just went through it, but I'm a little surprised these coaches don't have "non-compete" clauses in their contracts. It wouldn't have applied to Saban nor Spurrier, but certainly would to Nutt. Granted, these things typically aren't worth the paper they're written on (I know this firsthand) but Nutt's move would be a prime case for it when he's moving to a school in the same division of the same conference he can't avoid "competing" against his former employer.

What was funny was reading the reactions yesterday on both Hogs' message boards as rumors swirled about Nutt going to Ole Miss.

Even the "Darksiders," who have no faith in Nutt as Arkansas' HC, do not like the idea of having to play against HN, especially with some of the players that Orgeron left him.

I guess they didn't consider Nutt "seceding" to Ole Miss and remaining in the SEC. :lol:

Not many of them believed he would stay in the SEC.
I noticed quite a few saying ''he loves the hog nation too much to play against us'', '' he'd never do that''
Apparantly they didn't understand how this stuff works. It's about the money.

Back
Top Bottom