| FTBL Going Nutts in Oxford?

ColoradoTide said:
kudzu said:
Apparantly they didn't understand how this stuff works. It's about the money.

Seems he actually took a pay CUT to move to Ole Miss though.

But if you really look at the contracts, there’s probably more “guaranteed money” in the Ole Miss contract. $1.9 mil for five versus $2.7 mil for two. If Ark wanted to run him off after next season, the extension they offered him would probably let them do that pretty cheap. The deal with Ole Miss probably guarantees him at least around $5 mil.

You know what really surprises me about this. From what I have read and also heard from Ole Miss fans, one thing (among a few) that bothered the Rebel faithful about Coach O was his on-field demeanor. At times they thought CEO was simply too "rah-rah" and "cheerleaderesque."

And now Nutt is hired, who can be just as animated and "rah-rah."

:?

bear facts said:
reger60 said:
I just don't see him going to Oxford. I'm hearing Baylor.

Don't you think Waco wants to avoid having another wacko set up camp there? :wink:

It looks like I'm wrong anyway. I hate to see him stay in the SEC West. Makes our row to hoe that much tougher. Congrats and Hottie Toddy. That's a hell of a hire if it comes true.

reger60 said:
bear facts said:
reger60 said:
I just don't see him going to Oxford. I'm hearing Baylor.

Don't you think Waco wants to avoid having another wacko set up camp there? :wink:

It looks like I'm wrong anyway. I hate to see him stay in the SEC West. Makes our row to hoe that much tougher. Congrats and Hottie Toddy. That's a hell of a hire if it comes true.

To be honest with you, Jeff, I figured Nutt would end up in the Big 12 because of his past success against Texas.

From all accounts, Mongo has been recruiting very well at Ole Miss. Nutt very well may have them contending for a west title before long

Bama Bo said:
From all accounts, Mongo has been recruiting very well at Ole Miss. Nutt very well may have them contending for a west title before long

There is some talent there, and Nutt will get much more out of it than Orgeron did. He will also have QB Javon Snead to pull out of the garage next season (QB transfer from Texas). That is the kind of player you can build a pretty stout offense around. He is definitely walking into a pretty good situation.

Porterhouse said:
Bama Bo said:

There is some talent there, and Nutt will get much more out of it than Orgeron did. He will also have QB Javon Snead to pull out of the garage next season (QB transfer from Texas). That is the kind of player you can build a pretty stout offense around. He is definitely walking into a pretty good situation.

Its a cherry situation...unless the NCAA starts sniffing. There was some heavy stuff going on in Oxford over the past few seasons.

The thing is, Uark looks totally screwed to me now. They aren't going to get tuberville, and their best coach in 30 years just gave them the "we're #1" with his middle finger. Talent was already thin everywhere but), and those fellas are gone now.

For sure, tho, I DID NOT want to see him stay on our schedule. He's been too tough the last few years.

Hmmmm...Nutt's SEC record is barely over .500. I'm surprised. He always seemed to give Alabama and Auburn fits.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071128/COL0504/711280358

Nutt has coached in the Southeastern Conference Western Division long enough to know the challenge he faces. For all his success at Arkansas, and he had plenty, his league record was 42-40, two games above .500. (David Cutcliffe's SEC record at Ole Miss was 25-23, two games above .500.)

Notice what Ray Perkins says as well. I tend to think Ole Miss will be better, but "SEC West title" better? That might be a bit much. He may keep the Mississippi boys at home though. We've gotten a few good MS ones lately, but Saban is a much broader recruiter than Shula ever was (and I'm not talking hip size either :wink:).

Back
Top Bottom