| FTBL Game Week: Alabama vs. Georgia (press conferences, news updates, and discussion)

They aren't inept. They have never really had a superstar receiver threat. Bowers was their main weapon at tight end and they underutilized George Pickens. McConkey wasn't a superstar, but very reliable like Renfroe at Clemson. He doesn't need a stud to complete a back breaking game changing pass.
Didn't answer my question. ;)

No outside threats.

I said before the season that Georgia was going to miss Bowers and McConkey. They weren't necessarily deep threats but when it was 3rd and 15 or so Beck always tried to find one of those guys. And they always seemed to find a way to get open.

I am following McElroy's analysis that this game always comes down to the LOS play & turnovers. The last 3 games against Jawja all came down to those two issues.

Jawja's LOS is dinged up & had their starting guard go out last week. Because of that, I think that favors 'Bama now. Also, Clemson did get pressure on Beck & he had a subpar game. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to do the same, especially if Russaw makes it back.

SIDE NOTE: Where is Kendrick Law? Something tells me that the intermediate routes (that clearly is his forte) have been subdued the last few games, will be open as Ryan Williams will start drawing double teams. Or at least the safety will creep towards double coverage.

Yes. You do need a down field threat.

How do they keep up with the offense without one?

As to your question, @Crtuneman answered that.

Makes me wonder...where did that username come from?

Does Alabama even have a true deep threat? Williams does a lot of his work after the catch (save for Wisconsin touchdown in the corner which as a beaut) and you have said yourself we scheme our guys open. No other receiver has shown he can take the top off a defense yet. Doesn't mean Law or Prentice can't, but we have not seen it yet. I don't even think Williams is just going to run by a DB.

I’m not 100% on this, but it sure didn’t feel like UGA had many playmakers at WR against Kentucky - it’s just one game, but UGA hasn’t had a Bowers type or a McConkey type in a long time.

Also, McConkey was picked 34 overall in the NFL draft. Bowers in the 1st round. Those are big losses - especially for a program that isn’t know as being a factory for top notch pass catchers.

With all that being said, our secondary is absolutely our weakest part of our defense…we’ll need to be able to generate pressure.

I’m not 100% on this, but it sure didn’t feel like UGA had many playmakers at WR against Kentucky - it’s just one game, but UGA hasn’t had a Bowers type or a McConkey type in a long time.

Also, McConkey was picked 34 overall in the NFL draft. Bowers in the 1st round. Those are big losses - especially for a program that isn’t know as being a factory for top notch pass catchers.

With all that being said, our secondary is absolutely our weakest part of our defense…we’ll need to be able to generate pressure.

I hope our size at corner (6'0/6'1) helps make it difficult on quarterbacks to throw over the top.

One of the main issues for Georgia is that they don't really have a GO TO target at WR or TE this year. None of their targets are bad, but they aren't anywhere near as good as they've had in years past. Another issue lies in their OL, and I'm not just talking about having to replace an injured guy. They have 2 tackles that are worse than Proctor's start last year. Not one, BOTH are struggling. I would expect Beck to be running for his life most of the night something he's not really comfortable doing much.

Back
Top Bottom