| FTBL Game Week: Alabama vs. Georgia (press conferences, news updates, and discussion)

Updated this to be the game week thread, I'll post the press conference clips (starting with DeBoer's Monday PC) in the replies...

Meanwhile, a few notes and early week thoughts on the game vs. Georgia...

If you've paid attention to some posts over the last month leading up to this game, you'd know that Bama has been waiting to use some stuff in the playbook on both offense and defense. Wommack and DeBoer even admitted as much recently when he met with the media following the win over Wisconsin. 3 games into the season and coming off the bye, I anticipate we will see an identity start to form for this team over the next 2 to 3 games (UGA, Vandy, & South Carolina) as the staff begins to zero in on what works. Prediction on a couple of examples in terms of expanding the playbook... we will begin to see more from the screen game on offense. On defense, a little more flavor and frequency in called blitzes. Both have only been sampled at a minimum thus far.

Along the lines of a developing offensive identity, here's a couple of Milroe stats through 3 games:
-On play action passes, he is 12 of 13 for 158 yards and 2 TD's.
-Kept clean from pass rush, he is 29 of 40 for 452 yards and 6 TD's.
-Deep throws of 20 yards or more, he is 7 of 14, 302 yards and 5 TD's.

To continue the point some more, Milroe has been unleashed as a runner this season (again, it shouldn't come as a surprise if you followed our fall camp notes), though its happened even more than I was expecting up to this point. But, it puts a lot out there for teams like UGA to have to prepare for. The good news for Bama is, Milroe is night and day better running the zone read from where he used to be. He's more decisive, more comfortable... and he has an OL that can road grade when they're on the same page... that adds up to a dynamic attack that when blocked well is nearly impossible to consistently stop, regardless of the opponent. That's just one example of an area where Milroe has improved. It's also an example of a strength that will be built around.

I'm waiting for Kendrick Law to have his breakout game. The kid is so dynamic in his abilities and can be a real weapon in this offense.

It's been mentioned that opposing QB's have missed on some HR balls against Bama's defense in the first 3 games, and that's correct. It's also correct to conclude that QB's like Beck, Cook, and Iamaleava will make some of those plays. But up to this point, the bottom line is, the defense has really limited the big pass plays, giving up just 1 over 20 yards, 0 over 30 yards (best in the league thus far). The Tide is 2nd in the SEC with 23 passes defended, and that's with 14 of the other teams having played a 4th game already. Again, this group is going to be tested, and at times they will be beat... but there's some playmakers back there and the more they grow up the stronger that unit is going to become in the future.

There's a lot of pressure on Kirby going into this game... after his record against Saban, starting off 0-1 against DeBoer, especially when his team is (slightly) favored, would absolutely expand the real estate in his head when it comes to the property that Bama already owns there. But I said this after UGA's close win over Kentucky, and it remains so... that was not an ideal outcome for Alabama while they trounced Wisconsin the same day.

The early season stat of the year so far for the Bama defense is 3rd down conversion stop %. Only 3 games in, but still really impressive... the 3 opponents have converted just 8 first downs on 49 3rd down attempts (16.33%). Stout.

Just a bit of an odd stat here, nothing more, but Alabama has zero made 0 FG's through their first 3 games (0-1 thus far). Related: The Tide is 9 for 11 in the red zone with 9 TD's.

You asked!
UGA 3rd down offense 13 of 33 39.39% 74th

3rd down defense. 16 of 41 39.02% 82nd

BAMA by comparison
Offense 21 of 40 52.5% 14th nationally
Defense 8 of 49 16.33% 1st nationally
IF the D can get them into 3rd and five...even third and four, and make them look for that down? They don't have it outside. So, the way I see this, it has come from the inside. OK. Cool. Now you are running against Jihad and Lawson. Both can be beaten, but by the second half they are looking through their ear hole for "who is next" to hit me.

Kev, this is something I said back when the schedule was released. Kirby struggles with what? Mobile QB's. Down field threats. "Third and Kirby" is a thing. It's that defense...just like it was with Saban.

We are about to find out how right or wrong you have been the last few months @TerryP. I hope you are 100% right....

My biggest concerns will be mistakes on offense (turnovers and penalties) and our defense in generally but especially against the run. This is the case regardless of the opponent.

IF the D can get them into 3rd and five...even third and four, and make them look for that down? They don't have it outside. So, the way I see this, it has come from the inside. OK. Cool. Now you are running against Jihad and Lawson. Both can be beaten, but by the second half they are looking through their ear hole for "who is next" to hit me.

Kev, this is something I said back when the schedule was released. Kirby struggles with what? Mobile QB's. Down field threats. "Third and Kirby" is a thing. It's that defense...just like it was with Saban.

I prefer to get Georgia in more 3rd and Shorts/Mediums which means they may decide to run the ball and I feel we are better against the run than the pass.

Last edited:
I prefer to get Georgia in more 3rd and Shirts/Mediums which means they may decide to run the ball and I feel we are better against the run than the pass.
Intersting strategy. Against USF and Wisconsin they gave up 200 and 150 yards. USF was mostly to the QB because of poor tackling. This has been the area of the team I have been the most disappointed in. As a team the penalties have also been a problem at least for the first two games. Last game it was a much cleaner game which I am hoping for on Saturday.

Last edited:
Intersting strategy. Against USF and Wisconsin they gave up 200 and 150 yards. USF was mostly to the QB because of poor tackling. This has been the area of the team I have been the most dissapointed in. As a team the penalties have also been a problem at least for the first two games. Last game it was a much cleaner game which I am hoping for on Saturday.

Beck has an arm to make every throw, so must pass situations concern me early in a game and in a close game.

Back
Top Bottom