| FTBL Freddie Roach Update

I don't care who someone is, or what their opinion and reasoning is...if they choose to post on a public internet forum a direct and pointed insult of a former Alabama player, I feel more than justified in unloading on them. I can appreciate military service in the middle east, but that does not issue carte blanche to insult former Bama greats on a personal level - portraying them as stupid (or calling them that directly as your post appeared to) is a quick way to find yourself being attacked. Disagree all you want to, I am entering chaplain candidacy to go play with the camel spiders myself...but I respect those who have donned the crimson, and don't take kindly to comments like what your "dumbbell" statement appeared to imply. You did not mean it as it sounded, hence your apology...but your reply to my post is a bit odd unless you meant what you said the first time. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind, etc, etc...

LBS said:
Glad I read down to this...I was about to unload.
As it turns out, you and I don't necessarily disagree, but regardless of how that turned out..."Unload"? Heaven forbid anyone express a counter opinion to yours. Hey, surely I did not just return from the Middle East because FREEDOM OF SPEECH was on of our rights. It may be me but but "Agreeing to disagree" and "Unloading" don't seem in line with one another. People have a right to be an idiot, and I KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIED DEFENDING THAT IDIOT'S RIGHT TO BE THAT WAY. But for the grace of GOD, I was not one of them.

Big_Fan said:
I don't care who someone is, or what their opinion and reasoning is...if they choose to post on a public internet forum a direct and pointed insult of a former Alabama player, I feel more than justified in unloading on them. I can appreciate military service in the middle east, but that does not issue carte blanche to insult former Bama greats on a personal level - portraying them as stupid (or calling them that directly as your post appeared to) is a quick way to find yourself being attacked. Disagree all you want to, I am entering chaplain candidacy to go play with the camel spiders myself...but I respect those who have donned the crimson, and don't take kindly to comments like what your "dumbbell" statement appeared to imply. You did not mean it as it sounded, hence your apology...but your reply to my post is a bit odd unless you meant what you said the first time. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind, etc, etc...

LBS said:
As it turns out, you and I don't necessarily disagree, but regardless of how that turned out..."Unload"? Heaven forbid anyone express a counter opinion to yours. Hey, surely I did not just return from the Middle East because FREEDOM OF SPEECH was on of our rights. It may be me but but "Agreeing to disagree" and "Unloading" don't seem in line with one another. People have a right to be an idiot, and I KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIED DEFENDING THAT IDIOT'S RIGHT TO BE THAT WAY. But for the grace of GOD, I was not one of them.

You see, the issue is that NAME CALLING (including school-yard slang in reference to someone's intelligence) is more often than not the expression of one's opinion -- thus under Constitutional protection. "Unloading" as I suspect most people would interpret, implies purposely going beyond simply offering a counter opinion. As it was expressed to me in a Law class I took at our beloved University, if it can't also be offered within the walls of an Elementary School and in the presence of children, then it likely would not be protected speech.

If you want to call everyone who has a negative opinion of ANYONE who has EVER played for BAMA a "Dumbbell" or a "Dummy", that's fine, but doing much more than that is wrong.

BIG_FAN. With regards to the Middle East, until you go...you don't know. One must first earn your stripes. I thank you now for you heart for God, and your willingness to serve.

What happened to this thread?

All of a sudden everybody is turning into lawyers defending their points and explaining The Constitution.

As for me, if CnK says it....that's enough.

I look forward to seeing FR around the program again.

TerryP said:
FWIW, RT, I've heard the same thing.

As to why, I'd offer the notion why not? Having another coach in the weight room working with linebackers (especially considering the # of new ones we'll have arriving on campus) can only be a good thing.

I'm not really surprised we haven't seen a formal announcement about this. It's a step above being hired as a GA, but a step below the roles a few other coaches in the program have.

Thanks for the reply. I liked Freddie and I think he will be a good thing for Bama football.

TerryP said:
LBS said:
Talking about yourself in the 3rd person now, are we?!?
FWIW, Yes. I do from time to time. I trust no one was thrown by that. This should not be an issue considering the masses that join me in not posting by our real names.

I wasn't making a jab about it. I found it funny. It reminded me of an episode of Seinfeld when they met the guy in the gym that always referred to himself in the third person and then George took it up as well.

FWIW, I suspect that CnK got his verification of the story directly from Roach. This still does not change the fact that it is a wise practice on my part to get a second opinion, unless it is Freddie himself...at least that's what Ian told me :D

My previous post still applies.

I don't read Ian's stuff that much unless I know it's just a blatant effort to seem like he's in the know and I know exactly where he's getting his information from. As example, when we were looking for an OC the list he put out there came directly from an article that was speculating on the situation...it was posted on BOL. Out of the 7-8 names he listed only one of them was even in the picture.

That's one thing that strikes me funny when I see people asking for links in threads. What, are they supposed to link an article by Ian? As often as he's wrong, suddenly he's a credible verification to a story?

This message board world we choose to abide in certainly can be entertaining in more ways than one.

I was asking for alink because i wanted to read about it and because I couldnt find anything about it on rolltide.com

Rolling Tide said:
TerryP said:
LBS said:
Talking about yourself in the 3rd person now, are we?!?
FWIW, Yes. I do from time to time. I trust no one was thrown by that. This should not be an issue considering the masses that join me in not posting by our real names.

I wasn't making a jab about it. I found it funny. It reminded me of an episode of Seinfeld when they met the guy in the gym that always referred to himself in the third person and then George took it up as well.

FWIW, I suspect that CnK got his verification of the story directly from Roach. This still does not change the fact that it is a wise practice on my part to get a second opinion, unless it is Freddie himself...at least that's what Ian told me :D

My previous post still applies.

I don't read Ian's stuff that much unless I know it's just a blatant effort to seem like he's in the know and I know exactly where he's getting his information from. As example, when we were looking for an OC the list he put out there came directly from an article that was speculating on the situation...it was posted on BOL. Out of the 7-8 names he listed only one of them was even in the picture.

That's one thing that strikes me funny when I see people asking for links in threads. What, are they supposed to link an article by Ian? As often as he's wrong, suddenly he's a credible verification to a story?

This message board world we choose to abide in certainly can be entertaining in more ways than one.

I was asking for alink because i wanted to read about it and because I couldnt find anything about it on rolltide.com

I'd imagine Saban will address it at his next presser...but that's just a guess. I couldn't tell you how long it's going to be before we have another one.

If you recall, when we pulled in two coaches last year for non-field (as in games) positions is was a few weeks before that broke.

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't surfaced from one of the bloggers that also write articles.

LBS said:
Big_Fan said:

LBS said:

You see, the issue is that NAME CALLING (including school-yard slang in reference to someone's intelligence) is more often than not the expression of one's opinion -- thus under Constitutional protection. "Unloading" as I suspect most people would interpret, implies purposely going beyond simply offering a counter opinion. As it was expressed to me in a Law class I took at our beloved University, if it can't also be offered within the walls of an Elementary School and in the presence of children, then it likely would not be protected speech.

If you want to call everyone who has a negative opinion of ANYONE who has EVER played for BAMA a "Dumbbell" or a "Dummy", that's fine, but doing much more than that is wrong.

BIG_FAN. With regards to the Middle East, until you go...you don't know. One must first earn your stripes. I thank you now for you heart for God, and your willingness to serve.

Cant we just get along you DUMBBELL... :wink: :p

LBS said:
Big_Fan said:

LBS said:

You are free to do what you want...just as I am. As I said, serving in the middle east does not give a person carte blache to make classless personal attacks on our players. I am 100% certain that you would not call Freddie a dumbell to his face...hiding behind an computer keyboard and throwing out your service record as justification for anonymous personal attacks of a Bama player is pretty shallow. I had a friend on "The head of the spear" (if you remember what that was) who is a big Bama fan, and an Auburn friend who is serving as a chaplain in Afghanistan right now, and I know that both of them would agree with me. As for your legal commentary, you might want to look up what libel means before impugning someone's intellect on a public forum. If Freddie had reason to believe a potential employer or business associate might have their opinion shaped by your comments, he would have adequate grounds for legal action...he would not meet the criteria to be considered a public figure.

I appreciate your serving our country, and would appreciate it more if you acted like the class person that I am sure you are - instead of making posts that would be at home on an Auburn, UT, or LSU board.

Eze 3:17-21

I had the opportunity to meet Freddie at the Victor Ellis fundraiser last year - what a great guy. I hope his addition to the staff is true (not that I doubt it) because he will be an awesome addition to the team.

Roll Tide from Baton Rouge!

It sucks living amongst all of this purple and gold.

bamagirlinBR said:
I had the opportunity to meet Freddie at the Victor Ellis fundraiser last year - what a great guy. I hope his addition to the staff is true (not that I doubt it) because he will be an awesome addition to the team.

Roll Tide from Baton Rouge!

It sucks living amongst all of this purple and gold.

I feel your pain. I live amongst orange and blue ;pu

Back
Top Bottom