| GAME THREAD Football Wins 2021 College Football Playoff Semifinal, 31-14, over No. 4 Notre Dame

B

Bama News

Frankly, the 42-14 final score made the 2013 BCS title game seem closer than it felt. Notre Dame was never competitive that night in Miami Gardens when Alabama steamrolled the blue blood for a third national championship in four years.

Six years later, the Irish were back on the grand stage only to see Clemson silence the echoes in the 2018 Cotton Bowl semifinal. Notre Dame managed just 248 yards in a 30-3 loss that cued the chorus of doubts the historic superpower had a place among modern-day elite.

Was Notre Dame still Notre Dame?

Limping into the 2020 playoff after another blowout loss to Clemson didn’t quiet those questions even after staking its claim with a regular-season win over the top-ranked Tigers. Entering the Rose Bowl semifinal a 20-point underdog to Alabama begged the question that clearly annoyed Irish coach Brian Kelly.

Does Notre Dame have something to prove at 3 p.m. CT Friday after a series of high-stakes flops?

“No. No, I mean, we’re knocking on the door every year playing really good teams and great opponents,” Kelly said Monday. “And there’s elite football teams. I don’t know why this narrative continues to pop up when we’re always in the games.”

It’s not a matter of making the games that’s been the issue. It’s how the 11-time national champion has responded in the 32 years since the Irish last ruled college football.

Notre Dame is 2-4 against top-10 opponents in the past five years.

Against Alabama eight years ago, it managed just 132 yards outside of two second-half touchdown drives after the Tide built a 35-0 lead. Notre Dame tied the 2018 Cotton Bowl semifinal 3-3 in the first quarter before Clemson scored the final 27 points.

“No, we haven’t won a national championship, that’s correct,” said Kelly, now in his 11th year at Notre Dame. “I’m not changing the record. But we are there every single year and we’re grinding it out just like everybody else. And only one team gets to celebrate at the end of the year.”

Later in his Monday news conference, Kelly noted Alabama lost to Clemson by more in the national title game that followed its Cotton Bowl loss.

“If you look at it, our game against Clemson was a closer game than they had against Alabama,” Kelly said. “So, I mean, if you do that kind of a comparison, it shows very little in terms of what the disparity is.”

Alabama lost by 28 in that title game (44-16) after Notre Dame’s margin of defeat was 27 points. Irish offensive lineman Liam Eichenberg was also versed in that fact.

“In past years I’m pretty sure Alabama got blown out by Clemson,” he said. “I’m pretty sure other teams have been blown out as well in the playoffs. I’m not specifically concerned about that. This is a different year. This is a different team.”

The graduate student lineman said he doesn’t even remember the 42-14 loss Alabama handed Notre Dame in his childhood. He said he couldn’t remember how old he was that January night in 2013 when he was a few weeks shy of his 15th birthday. The Cleveland product said the offensive line “has come a long way” since that 2012 team.

“Nothing against those guys. They had a lot of great players. I do know that’s when, I think, Coach Hiestand just got here, and the culture wasn’t fully there, I guess you could say,” Eichenberg said, referencing offensive line coach Harry Hiestand who was with the Irish from 2012-17. “I feel like what we’ve built over the past couple of years will help us during this game specifically.”

The 2013 game was remembered for the way Alabama bullied Notre Dame at the line of scrimmage. The Tide ran for 265 yards on 45 attempts (5.9 average) while the Irish netted just 32 playing from behind with 19 attempts and a 1.7-yard average.

Eichenberg was the starting left tackle in the 2018 loss to Clemson while Tommy Kraemer was the right guard. The fifth-year senior wasn’t discouraged by what happened that night in Arlington, quite the opposite.

“I think the biggest takeaway is that we can win these games,” Kraemer said. “And I think just hard work and everything we do together is what puts us in these situations. I think we’re all really excited for this opportunity and ready to take it to ‘em.”

The Irish ran for 88 yards on 35 carries (2.5-yard average) in that loss that saw Clemson run for 5.7 yards a carry for a 211-yard total.

The two games with Clemson this fall showed the importance of the running game. Notre Dame had a 208-34 edge in rushing yards in the November win and a 219-44 deficit in the loss.

Notre Dame offensive coordinator Tommy Rees has a unique perspective on the high-profile losses of the past decade. Before his time as the quarterbacks coach in South Bend started in 2017, he was a backup quarterback on the 2012 team that lost to Alabama.

“It wasn’t a fun night, obviously,” he said.

Rees credits Kelly’s leadership for a run that’s included six 10-win seasons since his arrival in 2010.

“And then I think just we’ve been in this situation now multiple times,” Rees said, “and there’s a belief within the program that we’re consistently one of the best five teams in the country, and we handle ourselves that way and we have that belief.”

This is a completely different Notre Dame program since January 2013, Kelly said. They’ve changed the way they recruit and built stronger lines in the effort to modernize the old-school blueblood for a modern game.

“And we’re going to keep banging it,” Kelly said, “and we’re going to keep getting back here. And that’s our job. And that’s our challenge each and every year is to compete for a national championship, and we’ll continue to do that.”

ND has made tremendous improvements under CK. They are not among the best in the nation any longer until they can take that next step and beat BAMA, Clemson or Ohio St. As of now, those are the elite of college football with many trying to get there. ND, as much as I hate them, has proved this year they belong in the playoffs but that’s it.

Watch the line of scrimmage on both sides. That will tell you what is going to happen the rest of the game. If ND holds up gonna be tighter than expected. Of course ND will also have to do it with some depth or as the game goes on they will have issues.

I am concerned about our D because well they have been the weak link. I would expect match ups are better for us against ND. I hope the D comes out with an attitude after the UF game.

They certainly do have something to prove and I believe we will get their best shot, for at least the first half. I just hope CNS doesn’t call off the dogs too early. I’m not a fan of CBK, I do love the ND tradition, but I want a beat down.
I want a”show me Bama” and a “leave no doubt” outcome.
I want that priest that was on the Finebam show to be clutching the rosary and wondering how it all went wrong so quickly when we beat them 90 to nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide.

I bumped into a Notre Dame sweatshirt wearer yesterday in Livingston. I gave him a Roll Tide and we chatted a bit about the game. He said War Eagle at one point, think he was trying to get a rise from me. I laughed.

Guess he wasn't a real Notre Dame fan...

I don't believe hard work pays off by itself. You got to have the talent and a skill set with a clear plan and path to victory. We have the talent. If our offense scores early and often, we will wear them out.

Guessing the ND game plan will be clock management, grinding out long drives and using their strengths to do so (big offensive line), being physical.... ‘course that didn’t work against Clemson second go round.

DeVonta Smith is 139 yards from tying the SEC record for career receiving yards and 269 from tying the SEC record for single-season receiving yards.

Mac Jones is 227 passing yards from tying the UA school record for single-season passing yards; those 227 yards would also move him into the top five in SEC history in single-season passing yards. His average of 339.9 yards would nearly be enough to get him into the top three in SEC history.

Running back Najee Harris is three touchdowns, rushing or receiving, from tying the SEC record for career total touchdowns and four rushing touchdowns from tying the school and SEC record for single-season touchdowns, both held by Derrick Henry.

DeVonta Smith is 139 yards from tying the SEC record for career receiving yards and 269 from tying the SEC record for single-season receiving yards.

Mac Jones is 227 passing yards from tying the UA school record for single-season passing yards; those 227 yards would also move him into the top five in SEC history in single-season passing yards. His average of 339.9 yards would nearly be enough to get him into the top three in SEC history.

Running back Najee Harris is three touchdowns, rushing or receiving, from tying the SEC record for career total touchdowns and four rushing touchdowns from tying the school and SEC record for single-season touchdowns, both held by Derrick Henry.
Lets just go ahead and claim all of these records today!!!! The 269 receiving yards and 4 TD's would be the hardest to break. The others are achievable.

Guessing the ND game plan will be clock management, grinding out long drives and using their strengths to do so (big offensive line), being physical.... ‘course that didn’t work against Clemson second go round.
It didn't in the 2nd game because Clemson jumped up on them early. The longer you let them stay in the game the harder it is going to be. If ND can run they will be able to control the speed of the game.

Back
Top Bottom