| FTBL Fastest Alabama Player Ever?

Who was the guy on the Bama team just a few years back that was seriously undersized (around 135-150 lbs.?) but reportedly ran a 4.29 electronically timed 40? Anybody remember that?

Who was the guy on the Bama team just a few years back that was seriously undersized (around 135-150 lbs.?) but reportedly ran a 4.29 electronically timed 40? Anybody remember that?

gumboman said:
I can't tell you who the fastest player in Alabama's history is. Names like Milons and Goode come to mind. Teague didn't look all that slow when he ran down the Miami receiver in the '92 championship game.
What I want to know is who is the fastest on our team this upcoming season. Burton Scott went to the Florida camp last summer and was registered as the #2 man on the speed chart...which included current players AND incoming commits. I do not know what his time was, but I think that is pretty fast. That is receivers included. Who, on our team, is faster than Burton?

According to Scout,

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=745&yr=2008

no one is faster than Burton Scott.

shiloh said:

Brandon Brooks
He was a blur but sometimes took off before the ball got there...
He had some serious heart though.

johnwants#13 said:
shiloh said:

Brandon Brooks

Welcome aboard John! I wish he could have held onto the ball a bit better.

FWIW, he's working for a finance company out of ATL now...

TerryP said:
johnwants#13 said:
shiloh said:

Brandon Brooks

Thanks Terry,

Been registered and lurking for a year or so just did not get around to posting.
Guess I was waiting for an opportunity to contribute something useful.
I enjoy reading your stuff, You have great insight.
I really liked your summer rundown on Bama pride .
Truly great stuff, nice job on Tidecast awhile back as well, those guys should get syndicated.

I'm looking forward to them getting their next podcast together...shouldn't be long.

FWIW, when Bama'sBallradio gets into their new digs you should check out their show...a completely new type of radio/fan interaction type of program.

Step, and Stevon, both great guys!

TerryP said:
I'm looking forward to them getting their next podcast together...shouldn't be long.

FWIW, when Bama'sBallradio gets into their new digs you should check out their show...a completely new type of radio/fan interaction type of program.

Is that a podcast?
Is it avail on Itunes?

johnwants#13 said:
shiloh said:

Brandon Brooks
He should have tried fielding punts with his heart than, because he didnt have serious hands. :D

johnwants#13 said:
TerryP said:

Is that a podcast?
Is it avail on Itunes?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bamas-ball-radio

When they are live, you can actively participate in the show via the message/chat forum.

TerryP said:
johnwants#13 said:
shiloh said:

Brandon Brooks

FWIW, he's working for a finance company out of ATL now...

Bless his heart, it's a tough time for that.

Tidefan said:
What about guys like John Mangum, Bobby Humphrey and Kerry Goode?

John Mangum had decent speed but not great. The same with Bobby Humpghries, who was more of a slashing type runner, as opposed to his classmate Gene Jelks, who was a true burner. Kerry Goode, before his knee injury, was also a blazer, but he blew out his ACL in the first game of his sophomore year, versus Boston College. That injury was a turning point (in the wrong direction) for that game and that season. Before he went down the offense was explosive, while afterwards it was plodding.

psychojoe said:
Gator you are right on target. The 40 time obviously involves starting from at rest, and Teague was already moving at the time. He showed acceleration I didn't know he had when he closed on that receiver. (Probably he didn't know he had it until he realized he'd been beaten deep and got that fear induced adrenalin burst.)

As F. Gump might say, "fast is as fast does".

At the moment in time when George Teague ran down Lamar Thomas and stripped the ball, that was the fastest I've ever personally witnessed an Alabama player run.

Lamar Thomas had a better time in the 40 - he had the better stats. I think he was considered (or at least touted as) the fastest man in college football at that time. Statistics can be very misleading.

Ah, "The Strip". What a play! I still get chills just thinking about it. :D

AFF said:
psychojoe said:
Gator you are right on target. The 40 time obviously involves starting from at rest, and Teague was already moving at the time. He showed acceleration I didn't know he had when he closed on that receiver. (Probably he didn't know he had it until he realized he'd been beaten deep and got that fear induced adrenalin burst.)

As F. Gump might say, "fast is as fast does".

At the moment in time when George Teague ran down Lamar Thomas and stripped the ball, that was the fastest I've ever personally witnessed an Alabama player run.

Lamar Thomas had a better time in the 40 - he had the better stats. I think he was considered (or at least touted as) the fastest man in college football at that time. Statistics can be very misleading.

Ah, "The Strip". What a play! I still get chills just thinking about it. :D

Good post.

psychojoe said:
Tidefan said:
What about guys like John Mangum, Bobby Humphrey and Kerry Goode?

John Mangum had decent speed but not great. The same with Bobby Humpghries, who was more of a slashing type runner, as opposed to his classmate Gene Jelks, who was a true burner. Kerry Goode, before his knee injury, was also a blazer, but he blew out his ACL in the first game of his sophomore year, versus Boston College. That injury was a turning point (in the wrong direction) for that game and that season. Before he went down the offense was explosive, while afterwards it was plodding.
YEah, I was in the Navy when I saw that BC game. Made me sick to see it happen because Kerry was a great runner!

Nice guy too!

:)

Many years back my uncle was principal of Hazlewood High School, where the Goode brothers played. The Goodes were reputed to be a first rate family, in addition to their athletic prowess.

Tidefan said:
How many brothers played at Bama? there was Kerry and Pierre...wasnt there another Goode that played?

also, wonder what they are doing today?

Chris Goode. he was between Kerry and Pierre.

Back
Top Bottom