| FTBL Fastest Alabama Player Ever?

Being that I'm quite young I had the misfortune of missing out on a lot of the Bama players pre-1990. I do know that when Prothro was healthy...he was about the fastest thing I've ever seen.

I have very little doubt that Pierre Goode would win in a foot race against anyone else to ever wear Crimson. I really cannot think of anyone else who would have given him a close race...maybe JMac...Jmac was much stronger but not as fast.

Big_Fan said:
I have very little doubt that Pierre Goode would win in a foot race against anyone else to ever wear Crimson. I really cannot think of anyone else who would have given him a close race...maybe JMac...Jmac was much stronger but not as fast.

You aren't the first to say Goode, so I will certainly go with that. I didn't even think of him, honestly. I was thinking of David Palmer.

Does anyone know what George Teague ran or Palmer? I can't find any speeds on any players removed more than 7 or 8 years from the team.

Pierre Goode

Gene Jelks

Mike Fracchia

Wilbur Jackson

Prince Wembley

Tyrone Prothro

Javier Arenas

David Palmer

George Teague

Freddie Milons

These are all the guys mentioned by all the posters contributing. No particular order, except for maybe Goode being #1.

CtrlAltieDel said:
Big_Fan said:

You aren't the first to say Goode, so I will certainly go with that. I didn't even think of him, honestly. I was thinking of David Palmer.

Does anyone know what George Teague ran or Palmer? I can't find any speeds on any players removed more than 7 or 8 years from the team.

Palmer was actually pretty slow, he just possessed the insane ability to stop without slowing down and accelerate to full speed instantly. There were a lot of players faster - few shiftier.

Teague was incredibly fast...I didn't think about him. He would have held his own in a foot race with Pierre (particularly if Pierre was about to score on a coverage he blew), but I think Pierre would have won. Murray Hill was fast...probably about like Grant. Grant is extremely fast.

From the For what its worth category...
There was a player on my HS football team named Jason ******. Jason won the state 400M and set a new state record - he ran a legit 4.4/40, but he was the second fastest on our team. The punter on our team was not a very strong academian (to put it nicely) and did not go to college. He was also the place kicker and a wide receiver...he split the uprights 7 times that season - on kickoffs. No joke. He had multiple improvised fake punts for TD, and he consistently beat Jason by 5-10 yards on a 100 yard race...he probably ran a 4.2 or under. He squatted4 450, benched around 300, and deadlifted over 500 as a 6'1 180# high school senior. He was the second biggest wasted talent I have ever seen.

The biggest waste of talent was a LB on our team - 200# 4.4 speed and 550# squat and DL, 300# bench, as a Soph. Every college in the country was watching him from the time he was an 8th grader. He dropped out of school when he turned 16, to sell weed.

Arenas 4.45
Grant 4.45
Hall 4.4
Maze 4.4
Scot 4.4
Ingram 4.4 (suprised by that as big as he is)
Trent Richardson 4.5

Nobody listed under a 4.4 for the last 8 recruiting seasons those are just some names and times I threw out there for comparisons sake.

Big_Fan said:
Palmer was actually pretty slow, he just possessed the insane ability to stop without slowing down and accelerate to full speed instantly. There were a lot of players faster - few shiftier.

Teague was incredibly fast...I didn't think about him. He would have held his own in a foot race with Pierre (particularly if Pierre was about to score on a coverage he blew), but I think Pierre would have won. Murray Hill was fast...probably about like Grant. Grant is extremely fast.

From the For what its worth category...
There was a player on my HS football team named Jason ******. Jason won the state 400M and set a new state record - he ran a legit 4.4/40, but he was the second fastest on our team. The punter on our team was not a very strong academian (to put it nicely) and did not go to college. He was also the place kicker and a wide receiver...he split the uprights 7 times that season - on kickoffs. No joke. He had multiple improvised fake punts for TD, and he consistently beat Jason by 5-10 yards on a 100 yard race...he probably ran a 4.2 or under. He squatted4 450, benched around 300, and deadlifted over 500 as a 6'1 180# high school senior. He was the second biggest wasted talent I have ever seen.

The biggest waste of talent was a LB on our team - 200# 4.4 speed and 550# squat and DL, 300# bench, as a Soph. Every college in the country was watching him from the time he was an 8th grader. He dropped out of school when he turned 16, to sell weed.

Okay, I will scratch Palmer off the list, but he probably was the most fun to watch. I will add Grant and Maze.

Grant comes in at 4.45 and take a look at the safety on the page I link below this sentence, he is listed as having the same speed as Grant. His name is Andy Davis. I haven't heard anything about him, is he even on the team any longer?

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=745&yr=2006

I would have loved to have seen the 4.2 forty punter, that is crazy. He could possibly have kicked the ball and then caught it on the other side of the field, just like in a cartoon. LOL

Shame about the linebacker that dropped out at 16. You can pretty much assume that his pot selling business didn't ever amount to much. If he was smart enough to have regrets, they probably eat him alive right about now.

NTT said:
Arenas 4.45
Grant 4.45
Hall 4.4
Maze 4.4
Scot 4.4
Ingram 4.4 (suprised by that as big as he is)
Trent Richardson 4.5

Nobody listed under a 4.4 for the last 8 recruiting seasons those are just some names and times I threw out there for comparisons sake.

Thanks, NTT, that was very helpful. I am going to start listing only the 4.4's or below. Of course, for guys like Goode and Teague where no one actually knows, I will leave them also.

I lot of the return guys arent 40 fast. Arenas and Palmer were quick as hell though.

Triandos Luke could fly. He ran a 4.3 flat at the combine, which would be the top or near it every year.

The fastest ever electronic timed NFL player (combine) ran a 4.24 (I think)

Your right I remember alot being said about Luke being one of the fastest ever at Bama. Good memory.

Also upon further review. Am I the only one intrigued by Mark Ingram being faster than Grant and nearly 20 pounds heavier. that could be a fast load to bring down. My hopes are as high on Ingram as it is on Harris, Jones, and Scott.

NTT said:
Your right I remember alot being said about Luke being one of the fastest ever at Bama. Good memory.

Also upon further review. Am I the only one intrigued by Mark Ingram being faster than Grant and nearly 20 pounds heavier. that could be a fast load to bring down. My hopes are as high on Ingram as it is on Harris, Jones, and Scott.

Ingram is listed at 4.4 on Scout or Rivals, I forget which, and 4.45 or 4.5 on one of them. Either way, I am listing him.

If a player is listed at 4.4 on either service, I am including them.

Here is what I have so far:

Pierre Goode

Gene Jelks

George Teague

D.J. Hall 4.4

Marquis Maze 4.4

Burton Scott 4.4

Mark Ingram 4.4

Ramzee Robinson 4.4

Matt Caddell 4.4

Tyrone Prothro 4.4

Chris Keys - 4.4

Mike McCoy 4.4

Mike Fracchia

Wilbur Jackson

Triandos Luke

What is listed on internet recruiting sites are times generally given by the player to the site unless they attended a camp.

Most of the 4.4 guys would be times in the 4.5's. DJ Hall ran a 4.55 at the combine.

Darren McFadden from Arkansas ran an official 4.33 at the NFL Combine on February 24, 2008.

No wonder everyone had a hard time with him. Alabama did as well, if not better, than many others did with him.

Below I will list a Wikipedia article on fastest 40 times. 4.09 is the fastest, considered reliable, time ever recorded. Darrell Green was the lightning bolt that ran it.

Other Olympic class sprinters have had their times "calculated" to be in the low 4 second range. The problem with that is that they don't run 40 yard dashes so it is calculated to determine what their 40 times might have been.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

TigerBait3 said:
What is listed on internet recruiting sites are times generally given by the player to the site unless they attended a camp.

Most of the 4.4 guys would be times in the 4.5's. DJ Hall ran a 4.55 at the combine.

That would be what to base this off of then. Do you have a link to an NFL site where maybe I could look up all these guys?

Back
Top Bottom