| FTBL Fastest Alabama Player Ever?

CtrlAltieDel said:
TigerBait3 said:
What is listed on internet recruiting sites are times generally given by the player to the site unless they attended a camp.

Most of the 4.4 guys would be times in the 4.5's. DJ Hall ran a 4.55 at the combine.

That would be what to base this off of then. Do you have a link to an NFL site where maybe I could look up all these guys?
I just tried to find one site with everyone but couldn't. You will just have to google the individual person. NFL.com has all the top performers from year to year.

The 40 times by Green, Bo, Deion, etc. are all skewed because they were hand timed. And while electronic timing isn't perfect, it is WAY more reliable than a hand.

For example Falcon's DB Chevis Jackson ran a hand timed 4.43 in high school (which is what he gave to Rivals/Scout) and then just ran a 4.58 at the combine.

TigerBait3 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
TigerBait3 said:
What is listed on internet recruiting sites are times generally given by the player to the site unless they attended a camp.

Most of the 4.4 guys would be times in the 4.5's. DJ Hall ran a 4.55 at the combine.

That would be what to base this off of then. Do you have a link to an NFL site where maybe I could look up all these guys?
I just tried to find one site with everyone but couldn't. You will just have to google the individual person. NFL.com has all the top performers from year to year.

The 40 times by Green, Bo, Deion, etc. are all skewed because they were hand timed. And while electronic timing isn't perfect, it is WAY more reliable than a hand.

For example Falcon's DB Chevis Jackson ran a hand timed 4.43 in high school (which is what he gave to Rivals/Scout) and then just ran a 4.58 at the combine.

I ran a 4.89 once...but I weighed 275.

TigerBait3 said:
I run a 6.0.

And that is running from a snake like a little girl. :wink:

Notice I said "Ran." Now you would have to use a calendar to clock me on the 40.

Seriously though, my weight loss continues. I have lost 110 pounds now and can actually run a bit. My knees are not up to speed for a lot of running though. That will take time and Glucosamine/condrointin+shark cartilage.

CtrlAltieDel said:
Big_Fan said:
Palmer was actually pretty slow, he just possessed the insane ability to stop without slowing down and accelerate to full speed instantly. There were a lot of players faster - few shiftier.

Teague was incredibly fast...I didn't think about him. He would have held his own in a foot race with Pierre (particularly if Pierre was about to score on a coverage he blew), but I think Pierre would have won. Murray Hill was fast...probably about like Grant. Grant is extremely fast.

From the For what its worth category...
There was a player on my HS football team named Jason ******. Jason won the state 400M and set a new state record - he ran a legit 4.4/40, but he was the second fastest on our team. The punter on our team was not a very strong academian (to put it nicely) and did not go to college. He was also the place kicker and a wide receiver...he split the uprights 7 times that season - on kickoffs. No joke. He had multiple improvised fake punts for TD, and he consistently beat Jason by 5-10 yards on a 100 yard race...he probably ran a 4.2 or under. He squatted4 450, benched around 300, and deadlifted over 500 as a 6'1 180# high school senior. He was the second biggest wasted talent I have ever seen.

The biggest waste of talent was a LB on our team - 200# 4.4 speed and 550# squat and DL, 300# bench, as a Soph. Every college in the country was watching him from the time he was an 8th grader. He dropped out of school when he turned 16, to sell weed.

Okay, I will scratch Palmer off the list, but he probably was the most fun to watch. I will add Grant and Maze.

Grant comes in at 4.45 and take a look at the safety on the page I link below this sentence, he is listed as having the same speed as Grant. His name is Andy Davis. I haven't heard anything about him, is he even on the team any longer?

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=745&yr=2006

I would have loved to have seen the 4.2 forty punter, that is crazy. He could possibly have kicked the ball and then caught it on the other side of the field, just like in a cartoon. LOL

Shame about the linebacker that dropped out at 16. You can pretty much assume that his pot selling business didn't ever amount to much. If he was smart enough to have regrets, they probably eat him alive right about now.

Off topic, but speaking of fast punters, didn't we get burned some years back on a long fake punt run by a Vandy punter? He was tall and lanky but chewed up the yardage and smoked everyone.

I've played with 2 guys who were legit 4.3 guys and they were so fast that everyone else seemed to be standing still. Granted this was in high school, so it kind of gets amplified because most high school players, even the good ones, are doing good to run 4.5. These guys were on 2 different teams and both won the state in my Jr. year. Speed kills.

psychojoe said:
alagator said:
Not sure about fastest 40-times, but Pierre Goode had to have produced some of the fastest 100-meter times for a real football player. Young man had blazing straight line speed, not so much when having to make a cut or move.

And I cannot remember his name, but sometime around the mid-1970s a member of the track team with one of the fastest 100-meter times in the world was brought over to the football team to play WR. To say he was fast is putting it mildly. To say he had hands of stone is a disservice to all the rocks in the world. If I remember correctly, the young man could only be used on the relay units on the track team in the lead-off leg because he could only be depended upon to hand off the baton and not receive a hand-off. Too bad too, because in the days of the wishbone he would always have had single coverage and there was not a DB around who could keep up with him on any route over 25 yards.

I believe that you are talking about James Mallory.

That would be James Mallard. Was on roster in 1979, but I'm not sure if he played. Caught 5 balls (2 for TD's) in 1980, the most memorable of which was for 39 yards at the end of the first half against GT on opening day. The other TD was for 49 yards so the comment alagator made about "route over 25 yards" is correct.

http://www.rolltide.com/datadump/fls_files/files/football/1980/GameRecaps/80recaps.pdf

alagator said:
Not sure about fastest 40-times, but Pierre Goode had to have produced some of the fastest 100-meter times for a real football player. Young man had blazing straight line speed, not so much when having to make a cut or move.

And I cannot remember his name, but sometime around the mid-1970s a member of the track team with one of the fastest 100-meter times in the world was brought over to the football team to play WR. To say he was fast is putting it mildly. To say he had hands of stone is a disservice to all the rocks in the world. If I remember correctly, the young man could only be used on the relay units on the track team in the lead-off leg because he could only be depended upon to hand off the baton and not receive a hand-off. Too bad too, because in the days of the wishbone he would always have had single coverage and there was not a DB around who could keep up with him on any route over 25 yards.

James Mallard was from Tampa!

http://www.rolltide.com/datadump/fls_files/files/football/1979/roster.pdf

CtrlAltieDel said:
NTT said:
Arenas 4.45
Grant 4.45
Hall 4.4
Maze 4.4
Scot 4.4
Ingram 4.4 (suprised by that as big as he is)
Trent Richardson 4.5

Nobody listed under a 4.4 for the last 8 recruiting seasons those are just some names and times I threw out there for comparisons sake.

Thanks, NTT, that was very helpful. I am going to start listing only the 4.4's or below. Of course, for guys like Goode and Teague where no one actually knows, I will leave them also.

Hall ran much slower than that at the NFL combine and so did Keith Brown.

Here's one we forgot. Joey Jones was quite a burner in his day. Wayne Wheeler outran a few, as did Dennis Homan. I don't know about the forty but I remember reading that Homan had done a 9.5 100.

As I recall, Joey Jones was the first guy said to run a legit 4.4/40. Of course there have been countless others since Joey who have run that since. Who is/was fastest since? I'm not sure, but shouldn't that be something someone should know...considering that way that these guys are measured and taped seemingly daily?

Big_Fan said:
TigerBait3 said:
I run a 6.0.

Notice I said "Ran." Now you would have to use a calendar to clock me on the 40.

Seriously though, my weight loss continues. I have lost 110 pounds now and can actually run a bit. My knees are not up to speed for a lot of running though. That will take time and Glucosamine/condrointin+shark cartilage.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you, but.....I can run like the wind blows. And from that day on, if I was goin somewhere, I WAS RUNNING!

jocephus8179 said:
Big_Fan said:
TigerBait3 said:
I run a 6.0.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you, but.....I can run like the wind blows. And from that day on, if I was goin somewhere, I WAS RUNNING!
:lol:

I can't tell you who the fastest player in Alabama's history is. Names like Milons and Goode come to mind. Teague didn't look all that slow when he ran down the Miami receiver in the '92 championship game.
What I want to know is who is the fastest on our team this upcoming season. Burton Scott went to the Florida camp last summer and was registered as the #2 man on the speed chart...which included current players AND incoming commits. I do not know what his time was, but I think that is pretty fast. That is receivers included. Who, on our team, is faster than Burton?

gumboman said:
I can't tell you who the fastest player in Alabama's history is. Names like Milons and Goode come to mind. Teague didn't look all that slow when he ran down the Miami receiver in the '92 championship game.

Before that game there was a tremendous amount of press about how fast Miami was and how difficult it would be for Alabama to cope with Miami's speed. A reporter asked Stallings after the game how he had neutralized Miami's great speed. He said that Bama was pretty fast too, they just didn't publicize it. I never saw a 40 time for Teague, but he obviously had great acceleration. Sam Shade and Tommy Johnson were plenty fast as well. We had a linebacker on that team (Antonio London) who was converted to safety in the NFL because he was too small for an NFL linebacker but fast enough to be an NFL safety.

Another burner from teh late Curry, early Stallings era was Kevin Lee.

I seem to recall where Teague was quoted as saying he was not really a speed-burner, but knowing he would have to answer to Brother Oliver and Stallings for why he allowed the Miami receiver to get behind him when he had over-the-top responsibility probably took a tenth-or-two-or-four off his best 40-time while tracking down the receiver.

Probably some unintended truth in what Teague thought would be a totally humorous statement.

Gator you are right on target. The 40 time obviously involves starting from at rest, and Teague was already moving at the time. He showed acceleration I didn't know he had when he closed on that receiver. (Probably he didn't know he had it until he realized he'd been beaten deep and got that fear induced adrenalin burst.)

Back
Top Bottom