| FTBL Eli Gold to call Jacksonville State

We know Eli was more about painting the foreground, background, sunsets and birds in the distance than his subject, no doubt. He's still been a part of a tremendous run at Bama, including some lean years, and he's called every NC season since Coach Bryant's last. He's coming out of turn four in his career, and could've had a really nice victory lap with Bama, but he couldn't let go.

Bob Barker, Dick Clark, Rickey Henderson, Ali...there are many who hung around way too long, and they had to be pushed. It's tough to admit you're done when you still believe (or you've been told by your handlers and hangers on) that you still have some petrol in the tank. To perform well at a high level means you have to be driven and be confident in your abilities. The true greats have the self awareness to know when to go, or to have a balanced existence to know time is short and other priorities are calling. All of this points to the greatness of Coach Saban.

I'll avoid any Biden and Trump analogies...
In disagreeing...i agree

Athletes ...some hang on...tv/radio personalities....some hang on...

But Eli isnt any...no not a radio personality... eli is the VOICE of the Crimson Tide...

So if it isnt 100% ... Its still the music of sitting and listening,.. its pure....its like the red jerseys,.....its ALABAMA...FOOTBALL...

Another notch in Bynes belt i guess...
The hell with fans..tradition...who knows. We may find out he was getting ready to fire Saban (joking here i know)...

Just when i had to decide to renew season tickets

<snippage>

But Eli isnt any...no not a radio personality... eli is the VOICE of the Crimson Tide...

<snippage>
Semantics.

Every time someone is termed the voice of a team, the heart of a team, or even has an official title, such as the Yankees Captain (Jeter, Munson, Gehrig), they have an outsized role. But, they're not irreplaceable. In the grand scheme of things, that discussion belongs more with Saban's departure - and it's still wrong.

Time marches on.

Semantics.

Every time someone is termed the voice of a team, the heart of a team, or even has an official title, such as the Yankees Captain (Jeter, Munson, Gehrig), they have an outsized role. But, they're not irreplaceable. In the grand scheme of things, that discussion belongs more with Saban's departure - and it's still wrong.

Time marches on.
Nobody is irreplaceable....except of course our Lord ...Jesus...
So..we agree...Eli isn't irreplaceable...because he has been...

Wash...rinse...throw away...

30 something years.... ok with some...just not with me

Was around when they replaced couple others....life moved on

I will certainly miss Eli and his voice. I have enjoyed every game he called (not necessarily the game, itself, but his words). And I will miss him.

Yes, time comes for us, all. And his time MAY have come...and possibly gone. But I think it should've at least been a mutual thing between him and the University. I get that the University has to look at it from a business standpoint. He's an employee and he has a contract (and, thankfully, they're going to honor it, as the article said). And I get that NO employee is safe from termination for any reason at any time. Still...I just wish the story would've been "Eli Gold will retire after this season..." or "Eli Gold set to retire as the voice of Alabama football".

However, I'm glad that they chose Chris as his replacement. He is the obvious choice as he'd already done the job a few time when Eli was sick and not able to call games. And he was already there calling basketball games (and I think baseball, too...not 100% certain, though). So there will at least be a somewhat familiar voice on the radio calling the games. But that also makes me wonder if they'll keep Tyler as his color analyst or will they get someone else. I like Tyler. I've talked to him quite a few times (used to be my insurance agent). He's knowledgeable about the game, having played it (duh). And I like His and Chris' back-and-forth in the booth. Plus, him being a former player, I like his excitement. Sometimes, wearing crimson-colored glasses is a good thing.

He's definitely bitter, maybe it's too fresh for him or maybe like others have alluded to. He just doesn't realize he's slipped as much as he has in recent years. I don't listen to the games on radio anymore since I'm in Nashville but the radio youtube calls are always kinda lackluster and lack all forms of emotion.

I will certainly miss Eli and his voice. I have enjoyed every game he called (not necessarily the game, itself, but his words). And I will miss him.

Yes, time comes for us, all. And his time MAY have come...and possibly gone. But I think it should've at least been a mutual thing between him and the University. I get that the University has to look at it from a business standpoint. He's an employee and he has a contract (and, thankfully, they're going to honor it, as the article said). And I get that NO employee is safe from termination for any reason at any time. Still...I just wish the story would've been "Eli Gold will retire after this season..." or "Eli Gold set to retire as the voice of Alabama football".

However, I'm glad that they chose Chris as his replacement. He is the obvious choice as he'd already done the job a few time when Eli was sick and not able to call games. And he was already there calling basketball games (and I think baseball, too...not 100% certain, though). So there will at least be a somewhat familiar voice on the radio calling the games. But that also makes me wonder if they'll keep Tyler as his color analyst or will they get someone else. I like Tyler. I've talked to him quite a few times (used to be my insurance agent). He's knowledgeable about the game, having played it (duh). And I like His and Chris' back-and-forth in the booth. Plus, him being a former player, I like his excitement. Sometimes, wearing crimson-colored glasses is a good thing.
Yes, but no. He’s not an employee. He’s a contractor. That gives him less control or power over the situation.

Hate he feels rejected and unfulfilled with the way his tenure has ended. That's a long time to be in one spot.

That being said, I have always been vocal about not caring for his work. I came in on the back side of his run, the last 11 years, but never felt he met the moment. We had some amazing games, plays, wins, highs and lows, but I just never got that "feeling" from any of those calls when I want to get hyped re-listening to those events. I fully admit I grew up on Larry Munson, so he set a standard for me. As far as radio went, you never had any questions when listening to him as you knew the score, where the game was, how your team was feeling and performing that day, plus some great commentary. I prefer Munson over Gold any day.

I like Chris Stewart and think he'll step in really well and be great.

Back
Top Bottom