| FTBL Eli Gold to call Jacksonville State

I'm late to the party on this, but it's disappointing to see how Eli handled all this. Also disappointing, but not surprising, to see how some of the more fringe fans have reacted to it. Eli had a great run, I mean really, really good. His voice is now synonymous with nearly 2 generations, when the subject is Alabama football. Unfortunately, for him he was getting old and had (has) serious (not sure many people know just how serious) health issues, plus was being outperformed by the younger, more energetic Stewart. Back in the fall, the word was that it would be Eli's last year. He'd do the home games, and maybe the post season games if his health allowed. But that after his last game, he'd pass the mic off to Stewart (which I mentioned a few months back). Instead, he balked and things got messy. Learfield was not going to extend his contact at that point though... and the decision had been made by UA already to approve the promotion of Stewart who had more than earned the spot. In the end, people have to remember, Learfield is a business making business decisions. And Sewart is a guy that is able to travel and fulfill the needs of Learfield and UA. Whether it's road games in Arkansas, the Hey Coach show, or emceeing a speaking event in Mobile... you kinda need a guy who can do all those things, and do them well. But just on play-by-play alone, Chris Stewart outperforms Eli at this point in every single way. That's not to say Eli sucks, he was great for a lot of years, but Stewart is miles ahead of him at this point. To think otherwise is either laughable or because one is simply unfamiliar with the quality of their work these days.

Despite how Eli has made this all about him though, I envision a scenario where things are patched up down the road... he's eventually honored on the field for his part in Bama history, and the radio booth is named in his honor.

I'm late to the party on this, but it's disappointing to see how Eli handled all this. Also disappointing, but not surprising, to see how some of the more fringe fans have reacted to it. Eli had a great run, I mean really, really good. His voice is now synonymous with nearly 2 generations, when the subject is Alabama football. Unfortunately, for him he was getting old and had (has) serious (not sure many people know just how serious) health issues, plus was being outperformed by the younger, more energetic Stewart. Back in the fall, the word was that it would be Eli's last year. He'd do the home games, and maybe the post season games if his health allowed. But that after his last game, he'd pass the mic off to Stewart (which I mentioned a few months back). Instead, he balked and things got messy. Learfield was not going to extend his contact at that point though... and the decision had been made by UA already to approve the promotion of Stewart who had more than earned the spot. In the end, people have to remember, Learfield is a business making business decisions. And Sewart is a guy that is able to travel and fulfill the needs of Learfield and UA. Whether it's road games in Arkansas, the Hey Coach show, or emceeing a speaking event in Mobile... you kinda need a guy who can do all those things, and do them well. But just on play-by-play alone, Chris Stewart outperforms Eli at this point in every single way. That's not to say Eli sucks, he was great for a lot of years, but Stewart is miles ahead of him at this point. To think otherwise is either laughable or because one is simply unfamiliar with the quality of their work these days.

Despite how Eli has made this all about him though, I envision a scenario where things are patched up down the road... he's eventually honored on the field for his part in Bama history, and the radio booth is named in his honor.

I have so much respect for your perspective on stuff on here...but ..today...I disagree...

Maybe you're right though....but ...... getting older...old...and having....less of so much...

To have your love taken when you have given...so much...30+ years....

Ok...thats just a stupid fucking old man's perspective......i just love Eli....period

We good ..me n you...though

I have so much respect for your perspective on stuff on here...but ..today...I disagree...

Maybe you're right though....but ...... getting older...old...and having....less of so much...

Ok...thats just a stupid fucking old man's perspective......i just love Eli....period

I appreciate his years, I don't want anyone to think I don't (I think a good bit of the Eli hate was a tad overboard over the years). And it's ok if he wants to keep doing it (he said years ago he wanted to do it for 40 years)... I'm sure his new lease on life and renewed health have reenergized him to an extent... and I don't think it's all about the money for him, though I suspect that is part of it. I do think he enjoys the work though. Those late 90-mid '00 years with him and Stabler were really good... Eli was in his prime and always more buttoned up and professional in terms of an SEC PxP guy, and Kenny was a wild card who was likely to say anything, at any moment... never hid his excitement and would walk over Eli's calls. They blended well together though... really well. I have the cassette tapes of Eli's '92 Sugar Bowl radio call... friend gave them to me one year as a gift (I think maybe they were sold at the Bryant Museum at the time?). I need to get them transferred to digital format. But Stewart is just so good, and has earned the spot. He's not getting any younger himself... early 50's. A nicer, more respected guy associated with UA won't be found. Eli should be, and deserves to be, celebrated and honored. But at the same time, Stewart deserves that top spot.

His hospital stay. He aint right in the head anymore. Been pointing to this for a bit now if you look back.

Tis what it is...Eli is embarrassing himself right now.

Get this for me stepping out of my zone...I feel empathy for those guys at CTSN.

A Kenny Rogers song comes to mind for me on this one.

We’ve all seen this happen a few times in our careers, as far as guys not only getting past their prime, but losing their touch and effectiveness. My business is not a charity and neither is the radio business. When someone isn’t self-aware enough to say “when”, a manager or business owner has to say that for them. Usually the best thing for both parties in the end.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed his calls over my entire life to date. He’s all I’ve known of Bama games on the radio. His voice will always be memorable to me. I hope he enjoys the rest of his days on this earth and isn’t bitter for long.

I respect his tenure and performance but I don’t want Alabama to start the naming of stadium parts (Yes, I’m aware of the Fail room, but that may change soon - Effort aims to change 'Fail Room' name at Bryant-Denny Stadium). John Forney was pretty good too.

Alabama has a unique history of mixing the past with the present. No football numbers have been retired - ever. There are no statues of former players. While I’m sure they’re thinking of how to honor Saban (putting his name on the field or stadium), that’s a unique situation and certainly outweighs Eli’s accomplishments.

I respect his tenure and performance but I don’t want Alabama to start the naming of stadium parts (Yes, I’m aware of the Fail room, but that may change soon - Effort aims to change 'Fail Room' name at Bryant-Denny Stadium). John Forney was pretty good too.

Alabama has a unique history of mixing the past with the present. No football numbers have been retired - ever. There are no statues of former players. While I’m sure they’re thinking of how to honor Saban (putting his name on the field or stadium), that’s a unique situation and certainly outweighs Eli’s accomplishments.

To me, it isn't a big deal either way. And personally, if I was going to throw a name on it, it would probably be Mel Allen's. But, if Cecil Hurt can be honored in the press box with a plaque, I'm ok with Eli getting getting one on the UA radio booth (assuming he finds the higher road here soon and takes it).

Sorry to see Eli go this way but for me as an old timer I listened more to Forney and Doug Layten on the sideline. The radio broadcast was about the only way you could follow most games live. You could see Bryants show but that was the next day. I listened way more to Forney than I did Eli. Honestly most of the time I heard Eli was the Hey coach show and maybe a highlight replay with Eli's call. Did not listen to much of his live broadcast. Hope that does not kick me out of the Bama fan club.

With that said without knowing the details, I do wish he would have stepped away on his own terms. Sometimes people have earned that right. Maybe he was given that opportunity but was not self aware enough to take it.

Like some of the other ”old guys” on here like me, I grew up on Forney and listened to him a lot more than I ever did to Eli. Almost all the games being live on TV made the radio broadcasts less important to me than they did in Forney’s tenure. But I remember John losing a step or two close to the end of his time too. Eli may have frustrated some of you with his comments about a ”big hole“ that only resulted in a 2 yard gain but I remember getting just as frustrated with John towards the end when he would say something like “he gets hit at the 45 and falls forward to the ………………24 yard line”. i still always prefer to see someone like John and Eli go out in a professional manner where they can be given the respect and appreciation their long years of service earned them.

Understand. But transitioning can be smooth and easy.... or rough and demeaning...
For a few bucks...i choose...smooth n easy
My point is...I don't believe the program needs anything related to the past right now. Sure, a Saban visit here and there? No problem.

All the signs point to "we're not doing a Perkins/Curry" reloop.

As a fan. I just want everyone to leave them alone.

Couple years back @Brandon Van de Graaff and @doemasters and I went to the coaches show.....right as Covid was coming to a close. It was right before Eli's health issues. We all discussed how feeble he looked. I ran into Eli in the men's room and spoke, he was gracious and kind......when I got back to our table and we were all talking, I had to look up how old he was. (I think it was 67 at the time). He moved around like he was 80.

I hate it for him, I think Brandon is right. It is too early to be interviewing him right now after being cut loose. You get better after being "downsized"......I know how it feels and know how pissed you are, along with second guessing decisions, etc. Time will heal all wounds. Forney was not the happiest when he was kind of relieved of his duties. I had a neighbor years ago that was the biggest Bama fan in the world and despised Ray Perkins for having a role in getting Forney ousted.

My point is...I don't believe the program needs anything related to the past right now. Sure, a Saban visit here and there? No problem.

All the signs point to "we're not doing a Perkins/Curry" reloop.

As a fan. I just want everyone to leave them alone.
One thing Perkins and admin did was change radio crew...don't remember if it was first year or not... was another thing that turned many against the Perk...i still have a month ...to decide on season tics ...good thing the deadline wasnt this week

One thing Perkins and admin did was change radio crew...don't remember if it was first year or not... was another thing that turned many against the Perk...i still have a month ...to decide on season tics ...good thing the deadline wasnt this week
He did a lot that first year, he moved the tower that Coach Bryant would watched from.

Back
Top Bottom