| FTBL Eli Gold to call Jacksonville State

He did a lot that first year, he moved the tower that Coach Bryant would watched from.

Perk thought the world rotated around him...
If I remember correctly

He changed the uniforms too... from small numbers n names to large numbers
Took tower down
Changed broadcasting crew
Fired Bear's DC...
Had losing record

Probably other things i have forgotten.....lol

Couple years back @Brandon Van de Graaff and @doemasters and I went to the coaches show.....right as Covid was coming to a close. It was right before Eli's health issues. We all discussed how feeble he looked. I ran into Eli in the men's room and spoke, he was gracious and kind......when I got back to our table and we were all talking, I had to look up how old he was. (I think it was 67 at the time). He moved around like he was 80.

I hate it for him, I think Brandon is right. It is too early to be interviewing him right now after being cut loose. You get better after being "downsized"......I know how it feels and know how pissed you are, along with second guessing decisions, etc. Time will heal all wounds. Forney was not the happiest when he was kind of relieved of his duties. I had a neighbor years ago that was the biggest Bama fan in the world and despised Ray Perkins for having a role in getting Forney ousted.
Wasn't Kirk with you guys that night? Might be confusing nights...seems like I recall a picture.

‘Thrilled’ Eli Gold to do Jacksonville State baseball telecasts, plans to call football
He working a lot now. Did he make that much money with Bama?

Eli Gold, the former Voice of the Alabama Crimson Tide, will take over the television duties for Jacksonville State baseball this season.

Gold, who mentioned last week he was in talks with two college athletic programs, confirmed the news to AL.com on Thursday.

Moment: Quick quip from Klopp to humble Czech reporter

“I’m looking forward to it,” Gold, 70, told AL.com. “I’ve known the people at JSU for many years. I’m looking forward to working with (athletic director) Greg Seitz. They’ve made some very nice strides here recently, winning a bowl game last year and so on.”

The Anniston Star was the first to report the news.

Gold shared that long-time broadcaster Mike Parris will remain. Assistant sports information director Logan Maddox, who had done broadcasts for a number of sports, stepped down to take another job.

The long-time Alabama broadcaster said JSU’s move to Conference USA has presented more opportunities for telecasts.

“I was thrilled to be offered the position,” Gold said.

The plan, Gold said, is take on additional sports and duties for Jacksonville State, including football.

“As we go along the sports calendar, we will announce other things as we go,” Gold told me on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5

For now, however, his focus will be Jacksonville State baseball. He makes his broadcast debut March 19 when JSU hosts Samford on ESPN+.

“From a purist standpoint, TV guys have to speak a lot less than radio guys,” Gold explained when asked about stepping in front of the camera. “In radio, you are drawing the entire picture. In TV, you are putting captions on a picture that is already there. There’s a different style to it, certainly.

“I’ve done a lot of TV in the past. I’m looking forward to it. It’s going to be a great opportunity.”

Last week and less than a week after the former Alabama broadcaster was named the play-by-play announcer for the Nashville Kats, Gold revealed to me on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 he had gotten interest for his broadcasting services. Gold said Thursday he will continue in his job with the Kats.

The Crimson Tide Sports Network announced last month it was not renewing the 70-year-old Gold’s contract. Chris Stewart will take over play-by-play duties.

Gold had been the voice of the Crimson Tide for 35 years. He returned to partial duty calling home games and the Iron Bowl last season after missing all of 2022 fighting cancer.

“I’ll take a look and see if it is something I want to do,” Gold said of the potential opportunities. “We haven’t talked dollars and cents or anything like that. I love what I do. I love the college game.

“I wish it were to be Alabama forever and ever, but that’s not going to be the case.”

I feel sorry for the 'Cock fans. They won't know what inning it is or the strike/ball count.

> A hard fly ball hit to left center...and it's an infield ground rule out.

Back
Top Bottom