| FTBL Do you think we'll see teams from the Big 10 join the SEC as well?

I really don't think that will happen. The big 10 already pays members pretty well. I don't think those teams want to play SEC elite on an annual basis anyway. The only real attraction that I could see would be on the recruiting front. The southeast is loaded with talent and that might make them look a second time, but I don't think any of them would jump ship to join the SEC.

I'm sure the Big10 would like to get rid of Rutgers and maybe Maryland. Northwestern helps their academic ranking and Illinois gets to stay for nostalgia.

Overall the Big10 is in good shape. They payout well and they compete across all sports. I don't really see the value of anybody leaving. Even if the SEC has a higher payout, the buyout a school would have to pay the Big10 would prevent any school from making money for several years.

Not unless all the other conferences fall apart and the landscape completely changes. And that doesn't look too far away. If that did happen, I would look for the B1G and SEC to be the two left standing. And I do believe that is where it is headed.

Last edited:
No. JMO but you will still have 4 major conferences with 14-16 teams max. This group will manage the football deal and not the NCAA. (football only).
This......i think we will end up with 4 16 team conferences. You will still have your blue bloods in each of the 4. They will pull away from the NCAA and will manage things how they want. Money, money and more money. The bowls will follow suit. This will allow the haves to rule and run how they want, without having to listen to the whining and incessant bitching of the have nots.

I think this will look a lot like what we saw back in the 70-80's. Back when the FCS was called Division II. Schools like Troy, UAB, Marshall, etc have all moved into the FBS section to be able to tap into money, ie bowls. Problem is, the smaller schools want to dictate what goes on at the larger institution and drag them down.

324-DBBDC-91-DD-4-DEF-B0-CE-EB50721-A5800.jpg

This......i think we will end up with 4 16 team conferences. You will still have your blue bloods in each of the 4. They will pull away from the NCAA and will manage things how they want. Money, money and more money. The bowls will follow suit. This will allow the haves to rule and run how they want, without having to listen to the whining and incessant bitching of the have nots.

I think this will look a lot like what we saw back in the 70-80's. Back when the FCS was called Division II. Schools like Troy, UAB, Marshall, etc have all moved into the FBS section to be able to tap into money, ie bowls. Problem is, the smaller schools want to dictate what goes on at the larger institution and drag them down.
Huh!? FCS was not Division II. It was 1AA and has always been a part of Division 1. The only thing that changed was the designation. Went from being called 1AA to FCS. We had 1A and 1AA. Now we have FBS and FCS.

Last edited:
I can see Okie State and TCU maybe. I've never understood how Iowa is in the B1G and Iowa State the Big 12.
Iowa was a founding member of the Big10. If we go back a century we had Iowa State as part of the Missouri Valley conference. When Bama was traveling to the Rose Bowl and winning its first titles Iowa State was an inaugural member of the Big 6. ISU's move to that conference was largely based on the number of teams from the MVC joinging the new Big 6.

Both Kansas and Iowa State are AAU universities so they would qualify for the Big 10. Nebraska was a AAU when they moved to the Big 10 but I believe they have since dropped.

I don't see the SEC taking anymore teams. Those teams in the old Big 12 have a serious problem. Not knowing the real timeframe on when OU and UT actually leave the Big 12 one can only guess on whether the Big 12 would ask Houston, SMU, Boise, and BYU to join. While that wouldn't be a SEC level league it would still be respectable group.

Back
Top Bottom