| BSB/SB CWS Finals: LSU wins 7th National Title

Agreed @Brandon Van de Graaff !! Byrne needs to make a BIG impact hire and get the kids we have on roster now, locked in for another season. Shelton needs to be priority 1, with Davis II 1b to stay in the fold.
You mentioned earlier the likeness between WF and the Viles from last year, A LOT of likenesses!!!! Arrogance beyond belief!!! I know they play in a band box, but when it was out of hand, their coach should’ve made some changes in the field. He was padding stats at that point. I imagine that has been his MO this season. What comes around, goes around! They do have some talent, but I too think they don’t win it all.

That's where I'm at with it... they have the roster to win it all... and it looks like it's going to be a fairly weak overall field of 8... But, it feels like Omaha is going to be too big of a stage for them, at least based on watching them this weekend. Guess we will see... but I think a couple of teams like LSU and Florida can go toe to toe with them talent wise, but also probably have the screws tightened a little more between the ears.

And speaking of the Vols from earlier, they are still acting like they own college baseball. For a team that hasn't really accomplished anything other than an SEC tournament trophy last year, they crow way too much. Would love to see USM come back and put them away tomorrow.

@Brandon Van de Graaff just looking at the starting 9 and who could possibly be back next year, Pinckney, Rose, Guscetti, Shelton, and Tamez all have eligibility left. What do you think the chances are we can keep Pinck for one last season? I know the draft is looming. I wonder how high he is on the boards. I think a healthy season from Rose next year could be beneficial for him as well. Shelton is a must to retain for the next coach!!!

@Brandon Van de Graaff just looking at the starting 9 and who could possibly be back next year, Pinckney, Rose, Guscetti, Shelton, and Tamez all have eligibility left. What do you think the chances are we can keep Pinck for one last season? I know the draft is looming. I wonder how high he is on the boards. I think a healthy season from Rose next year could be beneficial for him as well. Shelton is a must to retain for the next coach!!!

I'd be pleasantly stunned if Pinckney returned. I think the others probably will or will transfer, but just guessing. Hamiter is a guy that can return too... he didn't play much this year, but up until his foot injury last season, he was a guy that was showing a lot of potential... just hasn't really been the same since and ended up getting passed this year by Seidl. Agree, holding onto Shelton is really important... won't be easy. In fact, I'd probably even qualify it as unlikely as of now. Really, really hope he stays though...

Stanford starter Quinn Matthews just went 9 innings to beat Texas.... not all that unusual... but did so throwing 156 pitches, Old School Baseball tips it's hat.
I pitched in HS before all of these “pitching rules” came about. I would likely compare myself to him with maybe 5-6 more mph on my fastball. Long story short, I pitched on the front end of a Friday DH at Vestavia Hills (6 innings 95 pitched Loss) and turned right around and threw the back end of a DH the next day on Saturday (8 innings 125 pitches and another Loss). This was in the Spring of ‘89. The AHSAA adopted a “pitching rule” in ‘94 “limiting a pitcher to 14 innings a week. He could throw up to 10 consecutive innings at once, but no more. If he threw a pitch after 3 innings, he had to have a minimum 48 hours rest.” I believe they changed it just a few years ago to go by the number of pitches thrown, somewhere around 75 I believe.
With all of that said, Mathews is going to need to soak in an ice bath for a day or so, just to possibly make a start in Omaha on Day 2 should they advance.

Stanford starter Quinn Matthews just went 9 innings to beat Texas.... not all that unusual... but did so throwing 156 pitches, Old School Baseball tips it's hat.

As a coach, you gotta watch this kind of stuff. I'm an old school tough it out wanna win guy myself, but like Saban says "they don't make 'em like they used to". With as much time, money, and effort parents put into kids these days, you gotta protect the asset simply for their well-being and future. He may not be a major league guy, but tearing up your elbow, just like an ACL can have lifetime lingering affects that are mental and physical.

As a coach, you gotta watch this kind of stuff. I'm an old school tough it out wanna win guy myself, but like Saban says "they don't make 'em like they used to". With as much time, money, and effort parents put into kids these days, you gotta protect the asset simply for their well-being and future. He may not be a major league guy, but tearing up your elbow, just like an ACL can have lifetime lingering affects that are mental and physical.
I read, or heard, this was the 15th game (of 17) this season where he's thrown 100+ in an outing.

I read, or heard, this was the 15th game (of 17) this season where he's thrown 100+ in an outing.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. One game to gut out a win to the World Series, I understand, but that's something right there not even the pros do. Hmm, I wonder why? Stanford's coach outta be looked into for this by future recruits.

Agree with all that, but I enjoyed watching it. Without really knowing his injury history, his routine, etc. hard for me personally to go beyond the surface of it.... I will admit though, I enjoy seeing a guy gut it out in an age where many wave the white flag at that level and put all their eggs in their Pro Hopes basket (which I get [usually]). Mostly though, it just sent off baseball of yesteryear vibes, which almost always gives me warm feelings.

Agree with all that, but I enjoyed watching it. Without really knowing his injury history, his routine, etc. hard for me personally to go beyond the surface of it.... I will admit though, I enjoy seeing a guy gut it out in an age where many wave the white flag at that level and put all their eggs in their Pro Hopes basket (which I get [usually]). Mostly though, it just sent off baseball of yesteryear vibes, which almost always gives me warm feelings.
Honus_Wagner_%28crop%29.JPG
? :p

Yeah, I feel you there. It's nice to know there is still that tough mentality out there in some of our youth that will do it for more than just a paycheck. Has me thinking Nolan Ryan type grit.

When I was at the gym this morning, I really wasn't focusing on the tv, but I did catch part of a story re: Bama baseball. There were six possible returners, according to an SEC Network talking head; his list included five RHP and Shelton.

LOL, moron Stanford player thought he hit a walk off HR against Texas for the win... tossed his batting helmet and started celebrating rounding the bases... the ball hit off the top of the wall... moron player was nearly thrown out at 2nd, then had a look of bewilderment that the ball was in play.

CWS field is set... IMO, this is how I see the teams in order of most likely to win it all...

Ranking them in tiers...

#1 LSU
#2 Wake Forest
----------
#3 Florida
#4 Virginia
----------
#5 Tennessee
#6 TCU
----------
#7 Stanford
----------
#8 Oral Roberts

Would be shocked if Stanford or Oral Roberts even got to the finals, which probably means both will. I don't see the Vols beating LSU/Skenes. I do think the LSU v. Wake matchup would be really fun. As will Florida v. Virginia. In the end, I don't really care too much who wins it all, as long as it isn't the Vols... though if I had my pick, please let it be TCU, Wake, or a miracle run by Oral Roberts.

Don't use this chart for wagering purposes unless you want to lose your money

Back
Top Bottom