| LIFE CV-19: Effects on life, work, and sports

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama men's basketball team will be the No. 9 seed in the 2020 Southeastern Conference Tournament and will play eighth-seeded Tennessee on Thursday at noon CT on Nintendo/PS4/Xbox.

The winner of Thursday's contest will advance to take on No. 1-seeded Kentucky in Friday's quarterfinals.

The Tide (16-15, 8-10 SEC) and Volunteers (17-14, 9-9) squared off once during the regular season, with Tennessee capturing a narrow 69-68 victory back on Feb. 4 inside Coleman Coliseum.

Alabama owns a 10-5 advantage when taking on the Vols in the SEC Tournament. The last time the two teams met in the postseason was March 15, 2013 when the Tide captured an 58-48 victory.

This year's tournament will be held March 11-15 on Nintendo/PS4/Xbox.

For all the latest information on the team, follow AlabamaMBB on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.

No. 1, its not. No. 2, how is it hard so hard to grasp that large people being in a confined space together is not maybe the best idea right now?

I'm really unsure of why you are looking at this like it could be the end of the world. Based off many of your posts in response, you act like folks are dying left and right. Pretty sure there aren't even any positive known cases in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi. As I've brought up, the flu is killing more people this year, including more that actually got the flu shot. You're all bent out of shape like the rest of the media with this whole thing making it worse that it even needs to be. Sure, give it some attention and figure it out, but don't stop the world, sheesh.

Last edited:
There is panic in the air everywhere you turn, but it is because of the hype that the news cycle has given this story. It is going to be more financial trouble in the long haul than getting sick from the virus. If you get it you will have the flu. You will get over it unless you already have underlying problems. Just wash your hands is good advice. I understand that it is very contagious but it has a life cycle like all flu does. It will make its rounds and we will survive. Just saw hand sanitizer in the little thimble size bottle for sale $1.99. LOL Why is bread still on the shelves? Stay healthy my friends.

Now that's a bit of a shocker.... I pretty much assumed no fans, but the money revenue from TV is huge for the NCAA. That's a big deal for them to do that...

I saw that Norway just shut down too. Two week lock down.

I agree I'm sure the NCAA has to reimburse CBS some of that cheese?

Last edited:
As always, I am more in the middle on this. There are no reported cases in AL, MS and LA mostly because those states do not have the testing kits yet. I am sure there are cases, we just don;t know about them yet. That said, it really is no worse than many other seasonal viruses and flu strains. Still, until they come up with a better treatment for this strain of COVID(Corona Virus is nothing new, just this strain), it is probably best not to have people gathered in large numbers. Wash your hands, avoid hanging out with large groups of people for the near future, stop buying up all the masks and rubbing alcohol(it is like 15 a bottle on Amazon right now).

Why the season is over.

Regular season in some cases, sure. But the playoffs and such are important too. Lots of seniors who would have gotten a chance to play for something maybe for their first time had it taken away through no fault of their own. Maybe I am just sentimental, but I would like them to have that chance.

EDIT: Think about the Bama Baseball team that is only 17 games into what appears to be a very special season. Their season is over now. Some have played their last game ever just a few weeks into a season.

You ain't seen nothin' yet
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen n-n-n-nothin' yet
Here's something that you're never gonna forget
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen n-n-n-nothin' yet

Plagues of locusts, pestilence.........if it gets worse, what’s next?

Almost forgot to add, things tend to cascade quickly especially when the financial impacts start. I think I read somewhere today that the Fed just pumped another $1,500,000,000,000.00 into the economy. I’m just sitting here waiting on my $3000 check.

Last edited:
Let's take a quick look at the financial impact of this outbreak:

Travel industry: Flights are being cancelled left and right. If I remember, even if you booked and paid for the flight six months ago, the airline can't recognize the revenue on their books until the travel occurs. No travel, no revenue. If you don't travel, you don't stay in the hotel. Same as the airlines, even if you booked it six months ago... Some hotel stays may be cancelled which means the revenue may not even come later. Many of the hotels are franchises. Franchises have a revenue sharing model with the corporate brand. No stay, no revenue going to the brand.

People not traveling means fewer people in the airports. Convenience items (snacks, magazines) and meal purchases go down. Staffing may go down since the crowds aren't coming. Worker pay checks go down.

Restaurants and retail: It's recommended that you don't go to crowded areas. Therefore people are avoiding retailers and restaurants. This may be worse in the areas where post season events were planned. Those locations were planning on a windfall and probably ordered more ingredients than normal. Can they cancel? Can the items stay fresh long enough to be prepared for the regular crowd? If the order can be cancelled, can the provider sell to someone else? If companies are implementing mandatory work from home policies, nobody is buying lunch.

TV, radio and print: Nothing to broadcast, nothing to show ads or report on. Advertisers paid to have an ad on the SEC Tournament or NCAA Championship, not on a rerun of the 1982 NCAA Championship with Jordan hitting a jumper with 15 seconds remaining. Again, even if the ads were paid for, the network can't recognize the revenue until it's delivered. The NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL and NCAA have all canceled or postponed games. What does the network show? Which networks are impacted? For March Madness: CBS, TBS, TNT, truTV and CBS Sports. For MLB: Fox Sports and MLB Network (but every team also has local broadcasts). For NHL: NBC and local channels. For MLS: ESPN/ABC, FS1 and Univision.

Cities and facilities: Cities bid for the ability to host a tournament game. By bringing a big event into the city, they expect to make up the bid amount (and more) by generating tax revenue at retailers, restaurants, hotels, airports and taxi fares in addition to the facility itself. The city may try to get their bid money back, but if the tax revenue would have brought in more than the bid...

The NCAA, sports leagues/teams and schools: The NCAA will have to refund the host bids and broadcast rights payments (the networks didn't get what they paid for). Sports leagues/teams generate $0. Schools miss expected revenue. The employees in all these cancelled events don't get the money they expected. To compensate for this downturn in expected revenue, cutbacks have to be made.

As you can see, the impact of this is enormous, easily in the billions of dollars arena. It's easy to see why the stock market has tanked. Much of these loses cannot be recovered.

My heart goes out to anyone that has complications from this or worse passes away or has a someone they know that passes away. With that said this is going to effect most people more from the financial side of things. People that have not been disciplined to save for a major rainy day are going to have difficult times. It is going to be a challenge medically and financially. Prayers that this thing gets contained quickly.

Back
Top Bottom