| LIFE CV-19: Effects on life, work, and sports

Some of the initial decisions to cancel events appeared to be out of step with early case numbers. Due to very limited testing, and due to the fact that a large portion of the population show no or limited symptoms, we'll never know how many are infected. Doctor's offices in Atlanta are inundated with patients with upper respiratory (not coronavirus) and flu symptoms (could be) clamoring for tests. Most offices won't test you unless you attest that you've been in contact with someone known to have the disease. I've got multiple employees with some symptoms who can't get tested, and others who've crossed paths with known cases who are self quarantining.

What's becoming quite clear is that the Chinese - surprise - radically suppressed actually infection and death rates, and even then they couldn't fully grasp total infections. Governments know this, and some of the more recent steps make more sense if you consider that aspect. Had I known this about China when the government cut flights to China in January, it would've made a bit more sense.

This is going to kill the economy. You can expect at least one of the major cruise lines to file, and probably one of the big airlines. Major flagged hotel chains are franchised, so their difficulties will be with the local owners and lenders, not Hilton or Marriott - although corporate earnings are shot for the year. Large annual events live from year to year. Missing a year could mean the end of the line, or a major pullback, for music, craft and trade festivals. You'll probably see some restaurants shuttered over this as well. NCAA Final Four is looking for a smaller Atlanta venue, don't want to pay for the Benz when no one will be there. This is perhaps the only silver lining from then entire thing. The NCAA should be ashamed of holding a basketball game in a football stadium - ants dribbling bb's - and I hope they get stuck for a little bit of dough for this. Hate it for the vendors, though.

Back to the airline and hotel industry, there is a fear in the industries that the forced reduction in travel, along with the resultant use of skype, MS Teams, adobe meeting, etc., that some companies will realize they can live without their prior level of travel. This could create a new normal for business travel well below the volumes of even a few months ago, perpetuating the travel glut. When this passes, it will be a great time to travel.

RTR,

Tim

Some of the initial decisions to cancel events appeared to be out of step with early case numbers. Due to very limited testing, and due to the fact that a large portion of the population show no or limited symptoms, we'll never know how many are infected. Doctor's offices in Atlanta are inundated with patients with upper respiratory (not coronavirus) and flu symptoms (could be) clamoring for tests. Most offices won't test you unless you attest that you've been in contact with someone known to have the disease. I've got multiple employees with some symptoms who can't get tested, and others who've crossed paths with known cases who are self quarantining.

What's becoming quite clear is that the Chinese - surprise - radically suppressed actually infection and death rates, and even then they couldn't fully grasp total infections. Governments know this, and some of the more recent steps make more sense if you consider that aspect. Had I known this about China when the government cut flights to China in January, it would've made a bit more sense.

This is going to kill the economy. You can expect at least one of the major cruise lines to file, and probably one of the big airlines. Major flagged hotel chains are franchised, so their difficulties will be with the local owners and lenders, not Hilton or Marriott - although corporate earnings are shot for the year. Large annual events live from year to year. Missing a year could mean the end of the line, or a major pullback, for music, craft and trade festivals. You'll probably see some restaurants shuttered over this as well. NCAA Final Four is looking for a smaller Atlanta venue, don't want to pay for the Benz when no one will be there. This is perhaps the only silver lining from then entire thing. The NCAA should be ashamed of holding a basketball game in a football stadium - ants dribbling bb's - and I hope they get stuck for a little bit of dough for this. Hate it for the vendors, though.

Back to the airline and hotel industry, there is a fear in the industries that the forced reduction in travel, along with the resultant use of skype, MS Teams, adobe meeting, etc., that some companies will realize they can live without their prior level of travel. This could create a new normal for business travel well below the volumes of even a few months ago, perpetuating the travel glut. When this passes, it will be a great time to travel.

RTR,

Tim

Do we dare even get into the discussion of this happening in an election year, and on top of all the other non-sense? Was told there was a show called Blacklist that scripted this before it happened, even it being in an election year to steer the economy.

Do we dare even get into the discussion of this happening in an election year, and on top of all the other non-sense? Was told there was a show called Blacklist that scripted this before it happened, even it being in an election year to steer the economy.

Which country? Which script? Which disease? There are diseases every year, not just election years. Wag the dog wars in this and other countries to deflect domestic issues? Yes. Stupid attempt to impeach Trump and impact the election? Yes. Live bat market in China unleashes virus that eventually makes it to U.S. after impacting countries worldwide? No.

Speaking of wagging the dog, take the Saudi/Russian production conflict. Saudis are getting ready to maim Russia's primary source for hard currency. Putin is looking to further consolidate power before his economy worsens, but in this moment of worldwide attention toward coronavirus, if I were a Baltic state - say, Estonia, for example - I'd be very nervous.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama men's basketball team will be the No. 9 seed in the 2020 Southeastern Conference Tournament and will play eighth-seeded Tennessee on Thursday at noon CT on SEC Network.

The winner of Thursday's contest will advance to take on No. 1-seeded Kentucky in Friday's quarterfinals.

The Tide (16-15, 8-10 SEC) and Volunteers (17-14, 9-9) squared off once during the regular season, with Tennessee capturing a narrow 69-68 victory back on Feb. 4 inside Coleman Coliseum.

Alabama owns a 10-5 advantage when taking on the Vols in the SEC Tournament. The last time the two teams met in the postseason was March 15, 2013 when the Tide captured an 58-48 victory.

This year's tournament will be held March 11-15 in the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn.

For all the latest information on the team, follow AlabamaMBB on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.

God, it gives me a headache trying to read your posts...

I don't know what "resd" is or what "political hack" I "resd" but that they got rid of the Pandemic Response Team and made no effort to replace it, and that we found out about Coronavirus at the end of last year but made no effort to work on any plans or anything of the sort IS a fact. Period.

And let me remind you that I'm not the one that brought "politics" in it. Might want to read back at what I was responding to.

And the WHO declared it a pandemic.

I dont pay attention to talking heads and I notice you conveniently leave out completely getting rid of the Pandemic Response Team, whose sole job was to come up with plans on handling these types of issues. Not to mention going around for three weeks telling everyone it's just a big hoax, no big deal and will "just go away" is just as irresponsible. But yeah be condescending, that will make it less true.
Well u know what resd is...just happens i was on iphone 8 instead of ipad and very little buttons....and got big fingers..sorry about headache.....anyway...take a asprin
You made in political...period....
Its not....period!
Its awful......be good to see the anti-administrators work with the administration for the American people.....and quit woring about November.....

I heard on the radio this morning on my drive to work that Ohio St. has stopped all recruiting on and off campus through the end of the month and they cancelled their spring game.

Bama will have to give serious thought about the upcoming A-Day game.

Tom Hanks has it, and poor Wilson...Self quarantined.

giphy.gif

Yesterday morning, I was still sure my wife and I were going to Scotland for spring break. Yeah...were. I know the UK is fine for now, but we don't want to get over there and get stuck.

The WHO does regularly label issues a global pandemic. Wake up.

This kinda thinking is equally as ignorant as the hysteria and over buying of toilet paper.

People dying in wrecks isn't contagious.

The people dying are averaging over 70 years old in most places. The flu kills more people, and it's also contagious. My entire point was that the hysteria is about as dumb as people thinking this is actually killing people left and right. So wake up to what? The flu that hit a couple years ago was far worse than this.

I'll add this one in there for you too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200312-091311_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200312-091311_Chrome.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 3
Which country? Which script? Which disease? There are diseases every year, not just election years. Wag the dog wars in this and other countries to deflect domestic issues? Yes. Stupid attempt to impeach Trump and impact the election? Yes. Live bat market in China unleashes virus that eventually makes it to U.S. after impacting countries worldwide? No.

Speaking of wagging the dog, take the Saudi/Russian production conflict. Saudis are getting ready to maim Russia's primary source for hard currency. Putin is looking to further consolidate power before his economy worsens, but in this moment of worldwide attention toward coronavirus, if I were a Baltic state - say, Estonia, for example - I'd be very nervous.

Just very convenient if you ask me. A lot of conspiracy out there, but also the amount of coincidence is starting to get to be a little much to be naive about.

Just very convenient if you ask me. A lot of conspiracy out there, but also the amount of coincidence is starting to get to be a little much to be naive about.

In this world, anyone can find any set of facts to fit their preconceived views and float a conspiracy theory - left or right. That X-22 or whatever report and the reports by the blonde chick on the politics thread are proof of that.

Or how hysteria has taken over.

While there is a lot of hysteria, I do think this virus is no laughing matter. If countries are willing to shut down public events and willingly hamstring their own economies, that to me is concerning. Pay attention more so to what other countries are doing more so than what they are saying.

When this virus was escalating over in China, the Chinese Government put entire cities on lock down, built massive makeshift hospitals, and started spraying disinfectant in the streets. The moment this disease escalated, Putin closed Russia's border with China. In a developed country such as Italy, the people in charge over there have put the entire nation on lockdown.

This isn't "just the flu bro". You wouldn't willingly shut down sectors of commerce for influenza. Don't panic, but be vigilant my Bama friends.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I don't hold out high hopes for this game. If Bama wins though, they'll meet UK in the best way possible, without its rabid fan base. It's as neutral as a team can get.

RTR,

Tim

This to me is quite astonishing that many people haven't realized this. We are talking about a country that to this day completely lies about what happened at Tiananmen Square in 1989. Why wouldn't they suppress statistics that could severally hamper the perception of power of the Communist Party?

In this world, anyone can find any set of facts to fit their preconceived views and float a conspiracy theory - left or right. That X-22 or whatever report and the reports by the blonde chick on the politics thread are proof of that.

And yes, I agree with that. But I do in fact believe there is an underworld of sorts that controls a lot of the world, whether it be financially or through politics. I'm just saying with what we have learned about Google, Facebook, and countless other tech firms, it's not far fetched to believe some wonky shit is most likely going on. Cause let's be honest, how on Earth can 7.5B people be controlled by, let's say, a couple thousand people without things getting out of hand?

You have a problem with this? I don't want to pay for John Q. Public's short term disability/leave when I've been paying for my own for years. Moreover, I certainly don't care for the mere thought of a government mandated policy requiring business owners to foot the bill.

Wish yall had the same outrage when it came to gigantic corporations getting bail outs and corporate subsidies to the tune of millions. But no, that's fine. Just as long as the rich get richer, poor get poorer.

While there is a lot of hysteria, I do think this virus is no laughing matter. If countries are willing to shut down public events and willingly hamstring their own economies, that to me is concerning. Pay attention more so to what other countries are doing more so than what they are saying.

When this virus was escalating over in China, the Chinese Government put entire cities on lock down, built massive makeshift hospitals, and started spraying disinfectant in the streets. The moment this disease escalated, Putin closed Russia's border with China. In a developed country such as Italy, the people in charge over there have put the entire nation on lockdown.

This isn't "just the flu bro". You wouldn't willingly shut down sectors of commerce for influenza. Don't panic, but be vigilant my Bama friends.

Hysteria:
  • People stockpiling hand sanitizer and toilet paper in areas with no known infections
  • Sporting events (including outdoor events) being cancelled or being held with no fans
  • The flu causes more deaths annually in the U.S. than Coronavirus has current infections

I realize that the contagious nature of this virus can change rapidly if people don't take caution. Be safe, but stop buying all the hand sanitizer.

Back
Top Bottom