| NEWS Coleman Coliseum renovation talks underway as Alabama construction moves forward- AL.com

B

Bama News

As construction continues at Bryant-Denny Stadium and the sports science center at the football complex, Alabama is beginning to look at Phase 2 of its athletic facilities overhaul.

The long-anticipated renovation of 52-year old Coleman Coliseum is moving back to the front burner of the Crimson Standard fundraising campaign, Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne said this week in an interview with AL.com.

“We’ve been very focused, understandably, on Phase 1 (of the Crimson Standard) because of the size and magnitude of what that is,” Byrne told AL.com, “and we’re starting to have discussions about what Phase 2 looks like and time frames. And we know that Coleman and basketball and gymnastics is a priority. We need to find a model that can work for us.”

Phase 1 of the facilities overhaul focused mainly on upgrading premium seating at Bryant-Denny Stadium. That $92.5 million project began in December and is on schedule for completion before the Sept. 12 home opener against Georgia State, Byrne said this week. Phase 1 also included the $3 million upgrade of Rhoads Stadium where new concessions/restrooms were added along with clubhouse upgrades.

For Coleman, the process will not be a short one. Renderings of the renovated arena released in 2018 weren’t final plans but projections that included desired elements of a completed project. They depicted essentially a new facility built inside the original walls and arched roof of the building that opened in 1968.

When announced 18 months ago, Byrne said the best-case scenario would see work beginning after the 2021-22 season and new timelines were not available this week.

Significant planning and fundraising remain before the construction crews can get to work on the 15,383-seat home of the gymnastics and two basketball programs. With a building that age, extensive engineering work will need to be completed before understanding exactly what can be constructed on site.

Back in 2018, Byrne said they were looking at a final capacity in the 9,500-10,000 range with seats moving significantly closer to the floor. The idea was to add intimacy with the closest bowl seats moving from 17 feet currently down to seven feet.

Cost estimates for the Coleman renovation were in the $115 million range in 2018 but Alabama wants to have a solid number before beginning construction. The initial budget for Phase 1 at Bryant-Denny Stadium was $78 million before increasing more than $14 million to $92.5 million. The total cost for Phase 1 including the softball and sports science buildings was $111.6 million.

The school in January announced it had raised $309 million of the $600 million goal set for the 10-year Crimson Standard campaign.

All construction budgets and plans must be approved by the Alabama board of trustees before work can move forward.

First year men’s basketball coach Nate Oats discussed the facility upgrades on a recent Birmingham radio interview.

“When they hired me, they said it was coming,” Oats said in a Feb. 17 interview on WJOX-FM. “I’m not one of those guys that’s in Greg’s office demanding all that kind of stuff. That’s not really who I am, but he told me they’re meeting with … I don’t even know how the process works here, but we went through some building stuff in Buffalo and there’s a lot of red tape up there. Hopefully they can get all that stuff done a lot faster down here but they’re talking to me telling me they’re working on it.”

Read more:

-- Coleman Coliseum to be gutted, details on what to expect for Alabama basketball (from 2018)

I do not mean to be Debbie downer but I really wish we would build a new basketball/gymnastics arena.

I dont agree... after watching a B-Ball game there finally (for the first time in 30 years lol) I actually really like Coleman. There is genuinely not a bad seat in the house. Just some upgrades would go a long way.

I dont agree... after watching a B-Ball game there finally (for the first time in 30 years lol) I actually really like Coleman. There is genuinely not a bad seat in the house. Just some upgrades would go a long way.
There seems to be a large number of people, despite others trying to pointing to the contrary, that believe Coleman only contains an arena where we see sports teams play.

@50+yeartidefan, have you ever thought about the emergency shelter aspect Coleman provides that's part of the infrastructure earlier improvements have provided?

I strongly suspect you've not followed gymnastics closely enough that you'd be familiar with their facilities.

@50+yeartidefan, have you ever thought about the emergency shelter aspect Coleman provides that's part of the infrastructure earlier improvements have provided?

I strongly suspect you've not followed gymnastics closely enough that you'd be familiar with their facilities.

Actually I didn't know that .... one time I thought that in the year 9595 when archeologists dig up and uncover Coleman .... they will surmise that it came from a different planet

I have read about gymnastics.... often

It is where really talented boys and girls exhibit unbelievable skills

@50+yeartidefan, just on GymTide ...

The facilities that they use in Coleman isn't limited to the arena area. The gym they have, as their own in Coleman, is somewhere around 13,000 square feet. Much like the amenities you've probably seen with the football team GymTide has their medical facilities (rehab, etc.) in Coleman as well. The coaches offices, the team suite, analytic offices for film review, and other amenities you've seen in other programs are there as well. And then there's an additional section, probably 2000-2500 sq feet that's a dance studio area along with a cardio area.

All in Coleman.

Getting into basketball ... equipment rooms, training rooms, weight rooms, analytic video offices, and another two full size basketball courts are in Coleman as well. You've probably seen some fans mention they wanted a separate basketball building/facility when Grant was hired. It's there...just so happens to be inside the same arena everyone talks about not being up to their wants.

The office of emergency management has six different locations around campus now for shelter. Today, while Coleman isn't the main one they direct student to in the event of tornadoes, it's still operational for catastrophic events. IE: When the tornado ripped through town several years ago it served as a shelter as well as a central response location.

Here's one of my issues with some in this discussion about the future of Coleman. Often I see "tear it down, play in Birmingham for a year while building a new arena." Okay. But what about these other programs? What about the practice facilities for basketball? What about GymTide? Where are they supposed to go?

People don't like the "hanger look" at Coleman. I get that. What I don't get is where the notion was born that "it's just that simple. Tear it down, build another." Don't take that the wrong way. I'd LOVE to see UA with a brand new basketball building. That said, seeing why they are choosing not to go down that route...well, it's that simple.

"it's just that simple. Tear it down, build another."
That said, seeing why they are choosing not to go down that route...well, it's that simple.
Why not find a different location and build a new arena? You still use Coleman until you move into the new facility and tear it down after that. I know it may not be simple because you have to find a different location that is practical long term. Could they build where the current parking lot is? Is that a large enough area? I know it would be impactful but so is reducing the A day game seating to 30k seats. Price of progress.

@mando, if you recall, the area you're referring to in the parking lot is "spoken for" ... the road that is going to connect 15th Street (via Lancaster) to 2nd Avenue....it'll run between the Colosseum and the Law school. In the summer of 2018 the DOT approved a six million dollar grant to UA for its construction.

9f62812a-5c20-49af-b442-83947838515b-large16x9_UAOVERPASS.JPG

@TerryP
@mando

Ah, Terry... hate to tell u but those things u mentioned. I understand and know. Haven't
just been there once!

Second. Really no discussion needed anymore. Decision made and going forward.
Cant wait to see what it looks like.
If they wanted to replace and make a splash for roundball. They could have found a spot.
Look at all going on campus with construction. Its amazing. They have found spots for every thing.
Anyway. Decision made.

Back
Top Bottom