Best places to visit in Alabama

If you're going through SC, Charleston is an awesome/beautiful city. I have some family that lives in Pawley's Island...tons of history, and I think it's gorgeous with the Spanish Moss. Greenville's a cool little town as well...easy to get around, and has a river walk that's fairly nice.

I'll agree with Birdman, too, I think the smaller towns often times have some really cool history to show off.

Got it officially planned out:

DC --> Chattanooga --> Birmingham --> Tuscaloosa --> New Orleans --> Mobile --> St. Augustine --> Savannah --> Charleston --> DC.

I wanted to do Asheville/Smoky Mountain Park, and some more natural stuff but it's just too much for one trip. Saving that for the summer :)

Any reccomendations for lunch and dinner in T-town? :D

Lunch... Cypress Inn on the river. Dinner, I'd go with DePalmas (closed on Sunday). Enjoy your trip. In Mobile, grab lunch one day at The Dew Drop Inn or a PoBoy from Market by the Bay in Daphne. Several good seafood places to choose from.

Lots of good places in B'ham... I tried a new place just the other day for lunch that I'd never been to before, and it had some of the best sandwiches you'll find around here... Lots of good eats in The Ham.

It's a long way between Mobile and St. Augustine. I'd break it up and see some of the AL/FL gulf coast on one day, and then make a beeline the following day. Wentzell's in Mobile or Point Clear is a good place for some fried gulf seafood. I recommend a stroll through the Grand Hotel at Point Clear. Just tell the guard you're there to eat and he'll let you pass. Stroll under the live oaks on the grounds and then go to bay side and take in the bay view. If you have the money and are there in the evening, skip Wentzell's and eat at the Wash House.

If you're on a budget, Due east of Point Clear about 25 miles is Foley, home of Julio Jones and Robert Lester. If you are in an outlet mood, they're there, but the best thing in Foley (if Julio's not in town) is Lambert's, home of the "throwed roll". It's a big slop the hogs, country cookin' place that serves large yeast rolls, served by a kid throwing them around the rooms. It's quite the spectacle, not too pricey, and you can eat enough there to last two days. Due south of Foley is Gulf Shores and to its east Orange Beach. Lulu's on the intracoastal is Jimmy Buffet's sister's place, Sea N Suds jutting out on the beach in downtown Gulf Shores is good food and fairly cheap, and Doc's in Orange Beach is a good local experience. Of course another five miles east is the FloraBama, not to be missed. As I mentioned earlier, don't miss the Blue Angels if your itinerary accommodates. THEN cut out for the long drive to St. Augustine, and be sure to eat at the Columbian Restaurant in St. Augustine, good spanish/cuban and a landmark.

I'll think some more about other southeast spots, and don't be shy asking questions.

RTR,

Tim

It's a long way between Mobile and St. Augustine. I'd break it up and see some of the AL/FL gulf coast on one day, and then make a beeline the following day. Wentzell's in Mobile or Point Clear is a good place for some fried gulf seafood. I recommend a stroll through the Grand Hotel at Point Clear. Just tell the guard you're there to eat and he'll let you pass. Stroll under the live oaks on the grounds and then go to bay side and take in the bay view. If you have the money and are there in the evening, skip Wentzell's and eat at the Wash House.

If you're on a budget, Due east of Point Clear about 25 miles is Foley, home of Julio Jones and Robert Lester. If you are in an outlet mood, they're there, but the best thing in Foley (if Julio's not in town) is Lambert's, home of the "throwed roll". It's a big slop the hogs, country cookin' place that serves large yeast rolls, served by a kid throwing them around the rooms. It's quite the spectacle, not too pricey, and you can eat enough there to last two days. Due south of Foley is Gulf Shores and to its east Orange Beach. Lulu's on the intracoastal is Jimmy Buffet's sister's place, Sea N Suds jutting out on the beach in downtown Gulf Shores is good food and fairly cheap, and Doc's in Orange Beach is a good local experience. Of course another five miles east is the FloraBama, not to be missed. As I mentioned earlier, don't miss the Blue Angels if your itinerary accommodates. THEN cut out for the long drive to St. Augustine, and be sure to eat at the Columbian Restaurant in St. Augustine, good spanish/cuban and a landmark.

I'll think some more about other southeast spots, and don't be shy asking questions.

RTR,

Tim

Yeah we are debating stopping midway, we were originally gonna do NoLa to St. Augustine in one LONG day (with a few hours in Mobile). But I'd love to spend more time in Mobile. I'll have to look into hostels and/or cheap accommodations around the area. I have never been to southern Alabama and I am DYING to explore it in depth. All of those restaurants sound amazing, exactly the kind of food I am looking for!! My parents are renting a little beachfront place in St. Augustine the same week we are stopping by so luckily we have somewhere to crash for a few days. Either way, we have 10 days to squeeze all of this in .. I hope we have time to do it all!

Again, thanks for all your help, everyone!

Lunch... Cypress Inn on the river. Dinner, I'd go with DePalmas (closed on Sunday). Enjoy your trip. In Mobile, grab lunch one day at The Dew Drop Inn or a PoBoy from Market by the Bay in Daphne. Several good seafood places to choose from.

Lots of good places in B'ham... I tried a new place just the other day for lunch that I'd never been to before, and it had some of the best sandwiches you'll find around here... Lots of good eats in The Ham.

In Birmingham, I have only eaten at Jim 'n Nicks, the Irondale Cafe, and the Bottletree Cafe (where I watched the 2012 BCS game). Oh, and a Waffle House somewhere near Vulcan, LOL.

Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom