| FOOD Good Places To Eat In Birmingham?

alabama mike

Just Win Baby!
Mrs. Bama and I will be heading to B'ham the last week of July for church denominations national meeting. I am familiar with the area, growing up in Florence. I would appreciate your help in places we need to eat, both restaurants and fast service diners while in the B'ham area. We plan on making a return visit to The Fish Market near UAB. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

If you want the quintessential Bham experience, The Bright Star is hard to beat. Highlands Bar & Grill is the best in the city, I've been checking to see if they're back fully open, not sure when, not open yet. Bottegas is very good, so many high end places on Highland. If you want fried catfish, come to Riverside and eat at The Ark. If you want a good casual sandwich place, full of character, in Cahaba Heights, I recommend Mudtown. In Vestavia, I'm a fan of Bistro V. The nicest dive bar in town is Black Market, I prefer the Colonnade location. For down home, head a little bit out 280 and go to Lloyd's, another landmark Alabama locale. Get the BBQ or the hamburger steak.

When will you be in town exactly?

RTR,

Tim

Mrs. Bama and I will be heading to B'ham the last week of July for church denominations national meeting. I am familiar with the area, growing up in Florence. I would appreciate your help in places we need to eat, both restaurants and fast service diners while in the B'ham area. We plan on making a return visit to The Fish Market near UAB. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
It was after lockdowns but when we had to walk masked through the restaurant o be seated. Jeff Sessions was having a campaign event there but not much of a crowd. It was a terrible experience all the way around. I haven’t been back but I would hope that it has improved. I’ve always enjoyed the food there and even appropriated his Athenian Snapper to my menu. Best of luck. I would agree with @It Takes Eleven about Bright Star.

The last time I ate at The Fish Market it was terrible, I dunno, maybe they just had a bad day or something that one time, because every other time it was very good. Anyway, My can't go wrongs in B'ham.... Saw's BBQ in Homewood, Cedar House for the best meat and 3 (They're only open Mon - Fri. from 6 to 2), Davenports in Homewood for pizza, and a lot of the other places folks have posted (The Bright Star, Highlands B&G, Bottega). Depends on how much you want to spend and how far away from where you're staying you want to drive. :)

We are staying at the convention center next to the BJCC. I am mainly looking for places that are not chains and that are unique to the area. I have had Milo's burgers and was not a fan, love their sweet tea.

We are staying at the convention center next to the BJCC. I am mainly looking for places that are not chains and that are unique to the area. I have had Milo's burgers and was not a fan, love their sweet tea.
Milo's is a sad tale of expansion and cutting corners. The sandwich has shrunk significantly, there is no longer extra beef on a sandwich, and the beef they use now of miserable quality. How they cook their fries has changed. it's a hollow shell of itself. The tea company is owned separately by the daughter or granddaughter's side of the family, and they are thriving.

Milo’s changed their sauce. It is thicker and sweeter…tells me they added a butt load of corn starch or malto to it.
I can’t drink sweet tea since being exiled to the desert in California for 6 months. Just plain ice tea no sugar.

Added: There is a Mexican taco food cart/truck around UAB and they seriously have the best street tacos I have had east of the Mississippi.

Gotcha, Yo Mamma's Chicken and Waffles is a good one and close (3 or 4 blocks down on 2nd Avenue). The Cedar House that I mentioned before is about 4 or 5 miles up the highway.

If you want the quintessential Bham experience, The Bright Star is hard to beat. Highlands Bar & Grill is the best in the city, I've been checking to see if they're back fully open, not sure when, not open yet. Bottegas is very good, so many high end places on Highland. If you want fried catfish, come to Riverside and eat at The Ark. If you want a good casual sandwich place, full of character, in Cahaba Heights, I recommend Mudtown. In Vestavia, I'm a fan of Bistro V. The nicest dive bar in town is Black Market, I prefer the Colonnade location. For down home, head a little bit out 280 and go to Lloyd's, another landmark Alabama locale. Get the BBQ or the hamburger steak.

When will you be in town exactly?

RTR,

Tim
I love fried catfish, the whole fish not filet's.

@It Takes Eleven hit most of the good spots. I would add Little Donkey to the mix. They are in Homewood and 280. Tex Mex.......but one of the absolute best things they have is fried chicken. They cook it fresh to order and it is fantastic. Also in Homewood is a place called So Ho Social. Same guy owns Mudtown that Tim mentioned. So Ho has a few cross over items from their Mudtown location. They have a So Ho Southern plate that is cheese grits with collards seasoned with conecuh sausage and chipotle chicken breast with 2 pawns of cornbread. It is legit.

Back
Top Bottom