| FOOD Best BBQ in Alabama?

bamaraider

Verified Member
I've yet to eat the BBQ in Decatur Al, but everywhere I go, I hear about the "white sauce" and their smoked ribs. But so far, the only place I've eaten BBQ ribs is Dreamlands in Tuscaloosa. What're some others?

You've made me think about BBQ this early in the morning. I'm going to have a hard time making it to lunch.

Archibald's in Tuscaloosa is definitely worth the trip, wherever you're traveling from. Nothing else to say.

In terms of chains, I really like Jim N Nicks. I've been eating their BBQ for over 25 years, and never been disappointed with anything. Between 20 and 25 years ago when I worked in Bham, I ate a million drive through specials at their Riverchase location across from the old Loehmann's Village, and I've eaten a bunch, and ordered family and community meals to go, from their Greystone location. I will say they screwed up royally on Mothers Day by taking too many advance orders and I was late getting my food, but it was still good. Their Atlanta suburban locations are just as good, and I've eaten a number of times at their location in Concord, NC.

If you're ever in Atlanta, Fox Brothers is a must. Their "cheeseburger" is just about the best thing I've ever eaten. It's not a burger, but a sandwich with a heaping pile of chopped brisket topped with a glob of their awesome pimento cheese and slices of thick sliced bacon on top. I'm sure there are other respectable Atlanta and GA BBQ joints, but outside of Fox Bros there's not one I know well enough to recommend. Zeiglers in Acworth, GA has good chopped pork, but it's not a destination type spot.

I spend a good bit of time traveling to North Carolina, so I've hit a number of places up there. Most have the runny vinegar based classic Carolina style sauce, not my favorite, but I have to respect the region when I partake. Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC is one of the best known names up there. It's not far off I-85 close to Business 85 and it's a can't miss if you want an exposure to that style. They're big on slaw and hushpuppies in the Carolina joints.

On the opposite side of things, I've never been a fan of Ollie's or Golden Rule.

RTR,

Tim

@bamaraider, if you're close to Decatur, come west on HWY 24 toward Moulton to Chief & Snoogies BBQ joint. Probably around 8 miles from the Beltline on the right. They have some of the best BBQ in North Alabama. We like it better than Big Bob's or Whitts, two of the well known BBQ establishments in our area. Everything on the menu is delicious.

Give me a heads up and I'll meet you there.

The original Golden Rule out in Irondale is still first rate. The other locations vary in quality, largely because they seem to change ownership regularly. Full Moon in Birmingham is good, and even though they are not strictly a BBQ place, Lloyd's on 280 does a great job on ribs.

Best ribs in the state belong to Archibald's (the shack on MLK Dr). Even I have debates with myself over the best pulled pork... Saw's in B'ham and the Brick Pit in Mobile have never dissapointed though. Best chain, IMO, is Moe's. Their chicken wings are legit as well.

Best ribs in the state belong to Archibald's (the shack on MLK Dr). Even I have debates with myself over the best pulled pork... Saw's in B'ham and the Brick Pit in Mobile have never dissapointed though. Best chain, IMO, is Moe's. Their chicken wings are legit as well.

I haven't been to the Pit in Mobile, but Saw's...Yeah, too hard to argue against them. That's good stuff. Also, I like the holes-in-the-wall compared to chains like JnN or Full Moon. There is (was?) a place in Pinson called Ken's that always served good BBQ and a good breakfast too. We have a place here in Alabaster called Buddy's. It is really good! We had some of their BBQ for lunch yesterday.

I'm a fan of Jim-n-Nicks out on 280 headed to the Magic City, but not really to much into the Full Moon on 82. I've had Archibalds plenty of times before, but people take offense to it I guess when I say I like the original Dreamlands better. Still need to go to Deactur.

Big Bob Gibsons' white sauce is freakin' horrible, He does claim to have invented it. I smoked a butt and took it to work for our "pot luck" lunch and took my white sauce and every one said that it was by far the best that they ever had. I'll be smoking a couple of butts for our neighborhood bbq at Lake Highlands Park for the 4th (Florence) Swing by and I'll feed you.

I'm marooned in NYC until October, home on weekends. Went looking for a BBQ place today as a change of pace to my Irish bar tour, found a Brother Jimmy's across the street from Madison Square Garden. Pulled pork sandwich was adequate, sauce okay, but the collards I had as a side were the best part of it. I didn't have cornbread, so I had to use a bit of my bun to get to that pot liquor. Only $12.50 for sandwich and side. Plenty of football signs/pennants/car tags. Owner/manager must've been an ECU Pirate cause their stuff was everywhere. Funniest thing was you could see where someone tore down a FL pennant, probably a FL fan in a fit of rage, just a tad still hanging there.

RTR,

Tim

Speaking of hole in the wall joints, Buddy's Barbecue, on Highway 31 in Alabaster, is just a shack, but it has been there at least since the seventies. Split hickory logs are stacked outside the shack. Not a franchise, not a name place at all, but good, dependable Q.

Speaking of hole in the wall joints, Buddy's Barbecue, on Highway 31 in Alabaster, is just a shack, but it has been there at least since the seventies. Split hickory logs are stacked outside the shack. Not a franchise, not a name place at all, but good, dependable Q.

I had forgotten about that place until about 90 days ago. I hadn't spent any appreciable time in Alabaster since about 1987 when I finished at Montevallo and moved on from my college job as an orderly at Shelby Medical Center (originally Shelby Memorial, now Shelby Baptist). My Dad's having treatments at the cancer center next door, and I accompany him every other Monday before heading to New York. I swear that "downtown" stretch of rock buildings and furniture stores hasn't changed a bit. I hadn't been down 119 since they straightened it out to run with Simmsville Road (County 11) as it makes its way out of Damper Bottom. Buddy's is indeed dependable.

RTR,

Tim

I had forgotten about that place until about 90 days ago. I hadn't spent any appreciable time in Alabaster since about 1987 when I finished at Montevallo and moved on from my college job as an orderly at Shelby Medical Center (originally Shelby Memorial, now Shelby Baptist). My Dad's having treatments at the cancer center next door, and I accompany him every other Monday before heading to New York. I swear that "downtown" stretch of rock buildings and furniture stores hasn't changed a bit. I hadn't been down 119 since they straightened it out to run with Simmsville Road (County 11) as it makes its way out of Damper Bottom. Buddy's is indeed dependable.

RTR,

Tim

Absolutely right about 'old' downtown Alabaster. The old Dairy Queen is gone, and the auto repair place down by the RR tracks, which morphed into a recycling center, and then a used tire place, has finally been abandoned. The old feed store closed its doors some years back.Other than this portion, Alabaster has become a sleek, modern city.

Buddy's is fantastic!

Joe, Mayor Handlon has done a great job if promoting the medical mile. Now if that nasty roach hotel Sol Azteca...
It can be done. Pelham got rid of Fran's in favor of a Mexican restaurant. Definitely an upgrade.

I was through there yesterday and noticed that Edmondson's barber shop is still there, still open for business.

Was in B'ham (Brookwood Med. Center) today for a checkup and went to Saw's BBQ in Homewood (Edgewood?) which @bama alum and @Brandon Van de Graaff mentioned in this thread. Very good BBQ is an understatement. The meat, pulled pork, was so tender. The slaw is absolutely the best I've ever had on a BBQ sandwich. We got there about 5 till 11 and there were 4 people ahead of us. The place was already full and my wife got us the only table left. While I was ordering our food, the line grew tremendously. My wife counted 53 people in line behind me, going out the door and down the sidewalk!

And 99.99% of the football signage / pictures were of the Crimson Tide. Thanks guys for the recommendation. I can highly recommend it although there was a sign over the cash register that warned of "Pickpockets and loose women."

Back
Top Bottom