| BSB/SB Bama hires Goff as new coach: Reports and Reactions

They have football scholarships so they count towards football. It's a freebie for track. And, it's not an issue of Saban counting toward football. Each scholarship's allocation is out of the coach's hands.

I just was wondering out loud I guess since we always start trying to figure out how Saban is going to juggle the numbers with the new guys coming. Who gets greyshirted, who doesn't return, etc.

I just was wondering out loud I guess since we always start trying to figure out how Saban is going to juggle the numbers with the new guys coming. Who gets greyshirted, who doesn't return, etc.

CNS has 1-on-1 meetings with each player at several points in the year. Since scholarships aren't four-year scholarships, those on the bubble know they're on the bubble. New players are told upfront if there is a greyshirt possibility. Since eligibility starts when they enroll, a greyshirt knows it now. Typically, greyshirts are given to "lower" ranked players or those recovering from surgery who couldn't/wouldn't be playing this fall giving them the chance to add weight/build strength/improve speed/bulk up.

@OldPlayer, I know how all of that works and understand it. What I was referring to is some of our old archived threads and how "we as fans" start speculating who stays or goes pro, who has exhausted eligibility, graduated and won't return, greyshirts, and all of the like guessing that we like to do on here.

@OldPlayer, I know how all of that works and understand it. What I was referring to is some of our old archived threads and how "we as fans" start speculating who stays or goes pro, who has exhausted eligibility, graduated and won't return, greyshirts, and all of the like guessing that we like to do on here.

Got it. Scholarship juggling can be tricky. Typically CNS doesn't announce who "lost" their scholarship and those that do are usually close to graduating or will go medical. CNS also likes to keep the actual number a secret, especially with graduate transfer possibilities. We know he can only sign so many players on signing day, so the real question is who is progressing to their potential so that they aren't in jeopardy of losing their scholarship?

Dave Magadan sounds is just a pipe dream.
I've seen more than a handful point to him. I don't think a lot understand the career progression that happens with MLB guys. It's not even close to a lateral move.

Think about this...if he were hired, coached four or five years at Bama and moved on, he'd find himself with a minor league team and riding buses again. It simply takes too long for guys to move up in management roles in MLB to risk that success by coming back to the collegiate game.

It was inevitable, but I do appreciate Coach Gaspard exiting gracefully and making the process as painless as possible. We need someone young and energetic, who is willing to deal with the handicaps of nearby states having better situations as far as state funded scholarships being available to help the cost.

Gaspard made around 300K annually. Triple-A mangers make about $100,000. Who knows what Magadan earns as a hitting coach. His bio doesn't look like he's ridden many buses in the minor leagues. But Magadan has made almost 9 million dollars in his career, so money probably isn't an issue anyway. He's about 54 years old. Does he have ambitions to someday be a major league coach? If a stint as the head coach at Alabama didn't pan out would he go back to being a hitting instructor somewhere? It might be exciting for him to be Alabama's man.

Just food for thought.

Chris probably heard that from his brother Steve! Baseball is a cruel sport without a doubt. When I became a HC in HS baseball, the guy I replaced told me that this sport would be the hardest sport I would EVER COACH! I told him he was crazy! I played the sport for years, had turned down offers to play baseball in college so I could play football. He said that these are the reasons why. 1) Every Dad played the sport at some point in time. 2) Every Dad probably coached it at the park at some time or another. 3) They will not understand why you aren't playing "little Johnny" because he was a little league all star every year coming along at the park. Found out REALLY QUICK that he was right!! In my 3rd game as HC, I was approached by one pissed off dad after a game. He wanted an explanation for why his son didn't play. I tried to calm him down but he would have none of it! Eventually, I had to show him in the scorebook exactly why his son was riding the pine. He simply turned and walked away and NEVER SAID ANOTHER WORD TO ME AGAIN.

From the article Phillygirl posted:

THE NEXT COACH?

These young men face big decisions on their future, and knowing who their coach will be has to weigh on their minds. The top names on Bill Battle's mind seem to be Cliff Godwin of East Carolina, David Pierce of Tulane, and Mark Calvi of South Alabama. Other names being bandied about are former Bama great and Arizona Diamondbacks hitting coach Dave Magadan, former Auburn great and current Samford coach Casey Dunn, Tuscaloosa native and current Mississippi State coach John Cohen ( who just got swept out if the Super Regionals by Arizona), and Dallas Baptist coach Dan Heffner. With NCAA games still being played it may be a couple of weeks before a decision is made.

There are a couple of names here who look like good fits such as Magadan (I'm going to still hope), Cohen, and Dunn.

Back
Top Bottom