| FTBL Alabama Offensive and Defensive stats YTD

National Ranks (Traditional and Analytical Stats)

OFFENSE
  • Scoring - #6 (44.3 PPG)
  • Yardage - #21 (6.72 YPP)
  • Available Yards Gained - #3 (69.6%)
  • Points Per Drive - #3 (4.09)
  • 3rd Down Conversions - #11 (51.2%)

DEFENSE
  • Scoring - #40 (22.0 PPG)
  • Yardage - #34 (5.00 YPP)
  • Available Yards Allowed - #30 (39.5%)
  • Points Per Drive - #42 (1.88)
  • Opponent 3rd Down Conversions - #42 (35.1%)

2021 Returning Production
Offense - 33% (#126 nationally out of 130)
Defense - 77% (#41 nationally out of 130)

That opponents third down stat is what gets me. That's abysmal. Under Kirby and Pruitt it was almost impossible to convert a third down against a Bama defense. Now everyone is doing it and it's easy. It's just more proof that this defense is soft. It has no backbone.

Borrowed from another poster:

Some more fun stats

Alabama Offense - Points per Drive
All Field Position - #3 (4.09)
Long Field Position - #1 (6.00)
Medium Field Position - #10 (3.33)
Short Field Position - #7 (5.50)

Alabama Defense - Points per Drive Allowed
All Field Position - #42 (1.88)
Long Field Position - #71 (1.67)
Medium Field Position - #39 (1.62)
Short Field Position - #122 (5.67)

That opponents third down stat is what gets me. That's abysmal. Under Kirby and Pruitt it was almost impossible to convert a third down against a Bama defense. Now everyone is doing it and it's easy. It's just more proof that this defense is soft. It has no backbone.
I hear what you're saying, and I feel like that's the case. BUT, going back into the stats, 2011 was really the only year that was the case. In 2011 (I'd say that's probably the best defense we EVER had) opponents converted on 25% of the plays. The others years, they look like this:

2009 31%
2010 34.8%
2011 25.2%
2012 33.3%
2013 35.2%
2014 38.5%
2015 28.6%
2016 31.6%
2017 33.9%
2018 34%
2019 37%
2020 41.5%

So this year isn't really that much different from previous years, not excluding 2011 which was probably one of the most dominant defenses we'll ever see. We've actually improved over 2019 and 2020. 2015 wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

I'm not picking on you @Crtuneman because I felt the exact same way until I read your words. Then I thought, "Didn't we always complain about how 3rd down was Kirby and Pruitt's downfalls?"

Now do I wish we were like we are? NO! I wish our O was as potent as last year's and our D as good as 2011's EVERY year. But it's not as bad as we perceive it to be.

@c5vetman that's a good assessment that helps us keep some things in perspective. Thanks for the work on that.

I do want to point out one thing though... Do you notice the trend since 2015? Even factoring a deviation change to injuries in 2017 but we had Pruitt then.

Since 2018 its been Lupoi & Golding... 5 out of 14 seniors played under Pruitt one year (which means they didn't really do anything). So just about everyone playing has had the coaching mindset of mainly one DC. One would debate that we have better players but we are regressing...

I hear what you're saying, and I feel like that's the case. BUT, going back into the stats, 2011 was really the only year that was the case. In 2011 (I'd say that's probably the best defense we EVER had) opponents converted on 25% of the plays. The others years, they look like this:

2009 31%
2010 34.8%
2011 25.2%
2012 33.3%
2013 35.2%
2014 38.5%
2015 28.6%
2016 31.6%
2017 33.9%
2018 34%
2019 37%
2020 41.5%

So this year isn't really that much different from previous years, not excluding 2011 which was probably one of the most dominant defenses we'll ever see. We've actually improved over 2019 and 2020. 2015 wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

I'm not picking on you @Crtuneman because I felt the exact same way until I read your words. Then I thought, "Didn't we always complain about how 3rd down was Kirby and Pruitt's downfalls?"

Now do I wish we were like we are? NO! I wish our O was as potent as last year's and our D as good as 2011's EVERY year. But it's not as bad as we perceive it to be.

This is great information, but you can clearly see an uptick in a bad direction. It may only seem like a few percentage points, but those add up in a game or in a season when one or two plays can mean a National Championship. I am curious where we stand in 2021. Is that percentage available? The offense has not regressed to a point of where you see a glaring weakness, even with different coaches holding the position. You can see it with the defense. Is that 2021 number available?

@BamaFan334 per the original post:

DEFENSE
  • Scoring - #40 (22.0 PPG)
  • Yardage - #34 (5.00 YPP)
  • Available Yards Allowed - #30 (39.5%)
  • Points Per Drive - #42 (1.88)
  • Opponent 3rd Down Conversions - #42 (35.1%)
So far its better but it is clearly skewed based on the non-SEC competition. I don't even wanna know what it is based on SEC only.

My bad, somehow missed that one. Saw the stats, but just missed that one somehow. Thanks for pointing it out, ha ha.

3rd down % is one measure as is points per drive. I still go back to total yards, total point/game and rushing yards/game. In all of those I believe we should be top 10 or top 15 at worse. If you pull those stats and compare it will probably be shockingly different. To give it context instead of just a raw number make it based on the ranking because that is a relative stat. Our best teams in Sabans first 10+ years were likely top 10. Now we are not even sniffing #10. Narrow even more and see where things stand relative in the SEC. If you are middle of the pack or lower you are not going to dominate your SEC opponents.

2009 31%
2010 34.8%
2011 25.2%
2012 33.3%
2013 35.2%
2014 38.5%
2015 28.6%
2016 31.6%
2017 33.9%
2018 34%
2019 37%
2020 41.5%

Man I can't believe the 2017 defense was at 33.9%. I thought that was the second best defense under Saban. Now here's what I wonder. How much of those high third down conversion rates happened in garbage time? Because in 2017 and 2018 we had a lot of garbage time. Remember Tua barely played in the second half. I think that might make a difference.

Man I can't believe the 2017 defense was at 33.9%. I thought that was the second best defense under Saban. Now here's what I wonder. How much of those high third down conversion rates happened in garbage time? Because in 2017 and 2018 we had a lot of garbage time. Remember Tua barely played in the second half. I think that might make a difference.
that's a good point, it quite possibly could be. I know there are some stat trackers out there that ignore garbage time, but I don't have the time to look.

3rd down % is one measure as is points per drive. I still go back to total yards, total point/game and rushing yards/game. In all of those I believe we should be top 10 or top 15 at worse. If you pull those stats and compare it will probably be shockingly different. To give it context instead of just a raw number make it based on the ranking because that is a relative stat. Our best teams in Sabans first 10+ years were likely top 10. Now we are not even sniffing #10. Narrow even more and see where things stand relative in the SEC. If you are middle of the pack or lower you are not going to dominate your SEC opponents.
Total yards, points, and even rushing yards can be skewed though when a game may not be in doubt. Take in account some of the late TDs we have allowed in the past when a game was practically over, ie GARBAGE TIME! To me, and I believe that those stats can be found and are compiled for say when a game is within 7-10 points, because the game may and can still be on the line.

Total yards, points, and even rushing yards can be skewed though when a game may not be in doubt. Take in account some of the late TDs we have allowed in the past when a game was practically over, ie GARBAGE TIME! To me, and I believe that those stats can be found and are compiled for say when a game is within 7-10 points, because the game may and can still be on the line.

Many a spread have been crushed by those late BS touchdowns, :mad:.

I get that but Saban's elite D's would be top 10 in almost all of those categories certainly much better than top 40.

Back
Top Bottom