| MBB/WBB Late Second Half Run Lifts No. 9 Alabama Over Kentucky, 70-59

So how does this work? I have YouTube TV.

Use this link for the UA broadcast... http://icecast.939thescore.com:8001/stream/939live.mp3

Mute TV of course and just stream it to whatever device/speaker. I usually just let it play on my laptop. The pain in the ass stems from the fact that after nearly every commercial break, you have to re-sync it because of the slight buffering during ads/commercials. On cable and satellite that isn't an issue. Maybe with super fast internet it won't be an issue with YT TV either, but it has always been an issue with mine. I usually lose about 1-2 seconds on commercial breaks. Good thing is, you can just pause the radio broadcast to re-sync.

The Crimson Tide sweeps Kentucky for the first time since 1988-89, improves to 9-0 in SEC play

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 9/8 Alabama men’s basketball team used an 18-5 run over the final 4:27 to capture a 70-59 victory over the Kentucky Wildcats on Tuesday night inside Coleman Coliseum. The win was the Crimson Tide’s 10th consecutive – the longest winning streak since the 1996-97 campaign – and gave the program a season sweep over the Wildcats for the first time in 32 years dating back to the 1988-89 season.

Guard Jaden Shackelford paced UA with 21 points, including going 10-of-10 from the charity stripe, while forward Herbert Jones nearly had a triple-double with 13 points, nine rebounds and eight assists. Guards Joshua Primo and John Petty Jr. each had 10 points in the victory.

With the win, the Crimson Tide captured its ninth-straight win to start SEC play which is the second-best start to a conference season in program history, trailing only the famed Rocket 8 1955-56 team that finished with a perfect 14-0 record in league play.

Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments
"I would like to thank the crowd. Everyone that showed up was great and we needed them late in the game, they brought the noise to help pull us through. A lot of credit goes to Kentucky. They could have folded after we jumped on them early, but they fought back and ended up taking the lead. They competed and fought hard over the course of the game, but our guys are older, veteran guys that know how to win and show that they know how to win in close games. They were up two, and then we went on a 10-0 run. We almost shut them out there in the last four minutes except some free throws and a three. I thought our defense was great. We had Keon Ellis in there and I thought he gave us great minutes defensively, especially late. With the bigs that Kentucky has and without (Jordan) Bruner right now and (Alex) Reese banged up, I thought Juwan Gary was huge with his minutes. For our seniors to get the first sweep of Kentucky since 1988-89 is special. I am happy for those guys. Petty had a tough game because Kentucky did a great job on our shooters. We only got 20 threes up which is not how we usually play, but we figured out a way to win with defense and rebounding. We were even on the glass with them and I will take that without the bigs we would normally have. It was a big win because we are half way through conference play at 9-0. I am really proud of our guys and the culture that they have created here and being able to win in some close games."

Team Stats

• The contest featured nine ties and six lead changes, with all but two of those ties coming in the second half
  • Alabama led for 28:50 of the game while Kentucky held the lead for just 3:06
  • The Tide outscored the Wildcats in the paint, 28-16
  • Shackelford (10-10) and Jones (9-10) combined to hit 19-of-20 free throws, while UA went 24-of-28 (85.7 percent) from the charity stripe
  • UA connected on all six of its free throws in the final 45 seconds
  • Alabama completed its first series sweep of Kentucky since 1988-89 and also marked the first back-to-back wins over the Wildcats since winning in 2000-01 and 2001-02

Ugly game that we use to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in years past. Really bad off night shooting the ball and turnovers but pretty solid play on defense and solid at the stripe. Kentucky is a bad basketball team this year but a season sweep of them is good anytime.

Not pretty but a gritty win. Being able to win like this bodes well for the team. Shots are not going to fall all the time especially as you face really good defenses. UK played hard and defended much better especially around the 3 point line than they did in Lexington. Probably the most disappointing thing about the game was turnovers and missed shots close to the basket. If they improved at least one of those you might have seen the 20 point margin we saw in Lexington w/o the 3 pointers. If we hit more 3's you definitely would have seen the 20 point margin.

It wasn't always pretty, but they showed a lot of pluck and grit to grab the W! In years past, we would've found a way to fold late and lose. FT's were HUGE!!!! CNO has these guys playing with A LOT of confidence and the leadership by Herb, Petty, and Reese, with Bruner sidelined has been outstanding. Herb has to be your SEC POY here at midseason! The kid has worked hard on his offensive game to go along with his always solid defense. Petty is doing the little things when his 3 isn't falling, like crashing the glass and defending. Reese has accepted his role coming off of the bench and has played his best since he arrived on the Capstone. I love the attitude and culture that CNO has instilled in this team.

We too many missed easy shot inside, turnovers and did not defend well at times BUT the main thing is we won. Sometimes it is good to struggle and find a way to win and last night was one of those nights. Good job men!

We too many missed easy shot inside, turnovers and did not defend well at times BUT the main thing is we won. Sometimes it is good to struggle and find a way to win and last night was one of those nights. Good job men!
I agree with this post except for the "did not defend well at times". I thought they defended well. If you hold a team to 59 points you did something right.

Not pretty but a gritty win. Being able to win like this bodes well for the team. Shots are not going to fall all the time especially as you face really good defenses. UK played hard and defended much better especially around the 3 point line than they did in Lexington. Probably the most disappointing thing about the game was turnovers and missed shots close to the basket. If they improved at least one of those you might have seen the 20 point margin we saw in Lexington w/o the 3 pointers. If we hit more 3's you definitely would have seen the 20 point margin.

Thing is, we've been killing teams down low with layups. Shackelford has been bobbing and weaving to make some amazing layups. Herbert has been amazing with his left hand ( I know he is left handed) and that 6'9 frame has allowed him to create separation as well allowed him to maneuver his body around guys for easy layups. Shackelford is a guy that I don't feel gets enough love. He is one hell of a ball player and the guy I look for when we truly need a nice drive and basket. He hits his fair share of threes as well. I love this team. Hate seeing Petty and Herbert leaving after this year once we finally get something going on the hardwoods, but I think we have enough promise moving forward where we can sustain some success.

Back
Top Bottom