| MBB/WBB No. 8/5 Alabama Shines in Second Half to Capture 89-79 Come-From-Behind Win Over Georgia

Crimson Tide finishes regular season at 21-6 overall and 16-2 in SEC play to tie for most conference wins in a season in program history

ATHENS, Ga. – The No. 8/5 Alabama men’s basketball team scored 59 points in the second half, while shooting 63.3 percent (19-of-30) from the floor and 80 percent (8-of-10) from beyond the arc, to secure an 89-79 come-from-behind victory over Georgia in both team’s regular season finale on Saturday inside Stegeman Coliseum.

With the victory, the Crimson Tide finishes the regular season at 21-6 overall, the most wins since 2012-13, and 16-2 in SEC play which matches the 1986-87 squad (16-2) for the most victories in league play in school history.

Guard Jahvon Quinerly led Alabama with 18 points, all coming in the second half, while collecting five rebounds and four assists in the contest. Joining Quinerly in double figures was guard John Petty Jr., who had 15 points and a team-leading seven boards, along with Jaden Shackelford (14), Joshua Primo (11) and Herbert Jones (10).

Georgia (14-11, 7-11) began the contest on fire and jumped out to a 29-15 lead through the first 11-plus minutes. However, Alabama ended the first half on a 15-7 run over the final 8:03 and began the second half on a 15-2 run to result in a 45-38 Crimson Tide lead with 15:58 left in the contest. In all, the 30-9 run spanned halftime and lasted 12:05.

Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments

“I thought Georgia really came ready to play today. They were a lot more ready than we were. Give coach (Tom) Crean and his staff and players all the credit. I thought our guys didn’t play a particularly great first 10 minutes. They jumped out on us 29-15. From that point on, I thought we really picked it up. We finished the first half on a 15-7 run and started the second half on a 15-2 run, so that 30-9 score turned a14-point deficit into a seven-point lead. We can’t afford to come out the way we did tonight in Nashville. I thought JQ didn’t have a great first half, but I thought he was dynamite in the second half. He had 18 points in the second half, and they couldn’t keep him out of the lane. There is some credit that goes to some guys who maybe don’t get as much notoriety as some of our other guys. I think this is just a team that pulls for each other. For us to finish at 16-2 in the SEC and tie for the most wins in school history shows a lot of what this team is made of. We have to get back to playing more like we did in the second half than we did in the first half when we get to Nashville.”

Nice to get a win but this pattern is not just today. It only cost them against Mizzou and Arky.
Coincidently, all three were SEC road games.

There's this notion that the road games aren't as tough this season as they have been in the past. Yet, there are only four teams in the conference above .500 in road play; three of those four are only one game over .500. (5-4.)

I'd love to be able to talk to a few of the SEC head coaches and ask if the protocols and restrictions (C-19) on the teams this season have made road games more difficult. At the least, the difficulty seems to be the same. (Subtract the home crowd, add in the limited and restricted travel times which translates into the loss of prep time on opponents floors.)

Home crowds affect energy of players...and officiating ( who knows why)...
But the games i have watched...just a very few.... its more like neutral floor games...
And officiating has been pretty even ( didnt watch Arkansas)...
Be good to see bama-ark for sec tournament champs...

But the games i have watched...just a very few.... its more like neutral floor games...
Not when it comes to wins and losses and looking at this from a road game perspective; which was the point.

2018-19 there were five teams at .500 or above
2019-20 there were three teams at .500 or above.
2020-21 there are four teams which are cited above.

Literally, very little difference. A road game is still a road game with or without the crowds; it's just as tough to win on the road as it has been.

Coincidently, all three were SEC road games.

There's this notion that the road games aren't as tough this season as they have been in the past. Yet, there are only four teams in the conference above .500 in road play; three of those four are only one game over .500. (5-4.)

I'd love to be able to talk to a few of the SEC head coaches and ask if the protocols and restrictions (C-19) on the teams this season have made road games more difficult. At the least, the difficulty seems to be the same. (Subtract the home crowd, add in the limited and restricted travel times which translates into the loss of prep time on opponents floors.)
Trust me I get that the team has been head and shoulders better on the road this year than the past so I will take this winning percentage every year on the road. This may sound odd but the Mizzou game was more concerning than Arky. For the Mizzou game, if Bama does not have the run at the end of the game they could have lost that game by 20+. With Arky there was no way to get into any kind of a flow when you are called for so many fouls. A lot of that will take care of itself getting away from the Bud Walton arena. If we play Arky again there is no way there will be that kind of disparity in free throws.

Nice to be arguing about Bama basketball and holding their performance to a much higher standard than the past several years. That by itself shows how much better this team is than they have been. Been a loooooong time coming. Roll Tide!!!!!!

A lot of that will take care of itself getting away from the Bud Walton arena. If we play Arky again there is no way there will be that kind of disparity in free throws.
We're looking at UArk differently in the sense I see a lot of "flopping" on small contact which turn into fouls. A good number of what's called "phantom calls." They are playing NBAesque. Hey, it works for them. Personally, I don't like it as well as you, I suspect.

If I may let's go back to a few weeks ago when I mentioned this team reminds me a lot of the 2008 football squad. They're learning and we're seeing it with every game. It's a 'fickled' sport, not as bad as baseball, but still.

Not when it comes to wins and losses and looking at this from a road game perspective; which was the point.

2018-19 there were five teams at .500 or above
2019-20 there were three teams at .500 or above.
2020-21 there are four teams which are cited above.

Literally, very little difference. A road game is still a road game with or without the crowds; it's just as tough to win on the road as it has been.

The fans are just a part of it thou it can be a significant part. It's your home arena you are familiar and comfortable with, it's the back drop behind the basket it's the lighting and court. When I was playing there were certain arenas that I shot the ball much better in. So the venue matters.

The fans are just a part of it thou it can be a significant part. It's your home arena you are familiar and comfortable with, it's the back drop behind the basket it's the lighting and court. When I was playing there were certain arenas that I shot the ball much better in. So the venue matters.
I remember playing a team in Nashville who had six inches between the backboard and the wall (glass boards.) I shot well there and I think a lot of it had to do with how my home board was mounted; also glass and six inches off the wall. Depth perception makes a huge difference.

Great point!

I remember playing a team in Nashville who had six inches between the backboard and the wall (glass boards.) I shot well there and I think a lot of it had to do with how my home board was mounted; also glass and six inches off the wall. Depth perception makes a huge difference.

Great point!

Depth perception is HUGE I believe that's the main reason so many teams have a problem playing at Vandy that arena is designed after European Concert Hall. And their funky backboard supports.

Last edited:
We're looking at UArk differently in the sense I see a lot of "flopping" on small contact which turn into fouls. A good number of what's called "phantom calls." They are playing NBAesque. Hey, it works for them. Personally, I don't like it as well as you, I suspect.

If I may let's go back to a few weeks ago when I mentioned this team reminds me a lot of the 2008 football squad. They're learning and we're seeing it with every game. It's a 'fickled' sport, not as bad as baseball, but still.
Nope do not like it. Bama was probably not moving their feet and keeping their hands up as much as they should have at times but you can't be a top 3 defensive team and all of a sudden forget how to defend in one game so not all of those calls could have been legitimate.

On the 2008 reference, I see that also. Saban said after the 2009 SEC Championship, the 2008 team was good enough but they did not believe that. Not sure of his exact words but something to that effect. I have stated about culture in earlier posts, not sure the basketball program or team has that level of success engrained in them in just 2 short years. Nothing against them it just takes time. Do I think they could at least in the SEC tournament? I absolutely do but they will have to flip the switch to do so. Can they nationally? Doubt it, a lot more muscle memory playing and competing at a high level successfully is needed so that becomes their norm regardless of the circumstances. It took the GOAT 2 years for the 3rd to bring it home in football. The 2nd was much improved but just missed. Can you do it quicker in basketball? Maybe but lets face it the football program has a lot more tradition of success than basketball so I think it will take longer. Lets hope Oats is in it for the long haul and the right man to do so.

On the 2008 reference, I see that also. Saban said after the 2009 SEC Championship, the 2008 team was good enough but they did not believe that. Not sure of his exact words but something to that effect. I have stated about culture in earlier posts, not sure the basketball program or team has that level of success engrained in them in just 2 short years. Nothing against them it just takes time. Do I think they could at least in the SEC tournament? I absolutely do but they will have to flip the switch to do so. Can they nationally? Doubt it, a lot more muscle memory playing and competing at a high level successfully is needed so that becomes their norm regardless of the circumstances. It took the GOAT 2 years for the 3rd to bring it home in football. The 2nd was much improved but just missed. Can you do it quicker in basketball? Maybe but lets face it the football program has a lot more tradition of success than basketball so I think it will take longer. Lets hope Oats is in it for the long haul and the right man to do so.
As I recall his comment was along the lines of the team learning to close out the game.

I do believe it's easier to change the culture in basketball, in terms of roster turnover, than it is in football going simply by the numbers. A basketball team can change right at 40% of its total roster with one class, football a little less than 30%.

Here at the end of this season we've seen doubts grow among the fan base. It's my impression that's due to not beating teams by 20 or more. However, what I find to be lost in these discussions (perhaps just something that's gone unnoticed) is this team just went through Feb/Mar with a 7-2 record. That's good ball especially consider six of the nine games were on the road. They've won 17 of their last 20: impressive in my mind.

I believe it was Greenberg I heard make the comment the Tide is a Sweet 16 team, but not an Elite 8 squad. Frankly, we don't know. When I look at the brackets and see Bama guaranteed at #2 seed I don't have a lot of worry about seeing them play the seeds they'd run into. I believe they can play with anyone.

One more thing here. Let's not discount the fact that even with these offensive woes they've still won 17 of their last 20. If we look at the rankings only three teams have done better; the aforementioned Zags, Michigan, and Baylor.

As I recall his comment was along the lines of the team learning to close out the game.

I do believe it's easier to change the culture in basketball, in terms of roster turnover, than it is in football going simply by the numbers. A basketball team can change right at 40% of its total roster with one class, football a little less than 30%.

Here at the end of this season we've seen doubts grow among the fan base. It's my impression that's due to not beating teams by 20 or more. However, what I find to be lost in these discussions (perhaps just something that's gone unnoticed) is this team just went through Feb/Mar with a 7-2 record. That's good ball especially consider six of the nine games were on the road. They've won 17 of their last 20: impressive in my mind.

I believe it was Greenberg I heard make the comment the Tide is a Sweet 16 team, but not an Elite 8 squad. Frankly, we don't know. When I look at the brackets and see Bama guaranteed at #2 seed I don't have a lot of worry about seeing them play the seeds they'd run into. I believe they can play with anyone.

One more thing here. Let's not discount the fact that even with these offensive woes they've still won 17 of their last 20. If we look at the rankings only three teams have done better; the aforementioned Zags, Michigan, and Baylor.
Yeah we are probably measuring them like either their January performances or like the football team. Probably neither are fair to do so. What I do believe is if they find the offense of January they could win it all. Reality is they are somewhere between honestly. I think it hinges on Primo and Petty or at least another couple of players getting hot at the right time. Primo hit a three this past weekend and Petty was solid. Maybe they can get it going again. Even if this does not happen the D can carry them but our sphincter muscle may be a little tight in the process.

@mando This past week we saw Ellis hit a clutch three to seal the game. A week ago we saw the same with Rojas. If they get a few guys hot, like the ones you've mentioned, katy bar the door for any opponent they run into.

However, with the defense and depth they and still win with guys like the ones I've mentioned here. A clutch shot here and there and they'll advance.

You mention Petty and Primo. I think this team goes as far as Q can take them.

@mando This past week we saw Ellis hit a clutch three to seal the game. A week ago we saw the same with Rojas. If they get a few guys hot, like the ones you've mentioned, katy bar the door for any opponent they run into.

However, with the defense and depth they and still win with guys like the ones I've mentioned here. A clutch shot here and there and they'll advance.

You mention Petty and Primo. I think this team goes as far as Q can take them.

I was down on him big time, as I felt Shackelford just outshined him in every single way 80% of the season. BUT, he has shown me a lot and won some games for us while others were slumping as of late. If he can maintain like you're stating, you're right, we have a shot.

I was down on him big time, as I felt Shackelford just outshined him in every single way 80% of the season. BUT, he has shown me a lot and won some games for us while others were slumping as of late. If he can maintain like you're stating, you're right, we have a shot.
Yeah the depth has been impressive. I have not been a huge Rojas fan but he has improved but at times he still plays like a bull in a china shop. I like Ellis. I think he brings great effort and can make shots. If somehow they find the shooting magic again they can beat anyone. The D keeps them in every game as long as they stay out of foul trouble and can start the dang games with good energy.

On Quinerly, he had gotten into a rhythm in December but that got interrupted being out 3 games. I think he is just now getting back in that rhythm. We really need Q, Shackleford and Jones to be able to drive into the paint and then dish out or finish at the rim.

Get everyone back healthy and let the chips fall. Nice to think about the ceiling for this team but it will take some magic going forward.

Back
Top Bottom