| NEWS Alabama Football Individual Award Winners (Updated)

Can someone please explain something to me? Alex Leatherwood is a first team All American. He won the Outland trophy for best tackle. He has played outstanding all year and is an anchor for the best OL in the nation. But he's projected in the mid to late 2nd round. I don't understand this. I have seen the scouting reports on him and read about all his shortcomings, but why is he such a decorated player if he's not that good? It's like a Green Beret who wins the DSC, the Silver Star, and the Medal of Honor, and then some general says I don't want that guy in my squad. Really?

He is very good and I don't think he's fallen as much as a lot of these mock drafts indicate. But, college awards winners are not always a good indicator of NFL ability. You'll remember Barrett Jones won nearly every award imaginable, and he went 4th round, and I don't think ever started an NFL game unless it was a fill in for injury. But, I still bet Leatherwood goes higher than many are suggesting. Someone I respect immensely when it comes to the draft recently said he thought Alex would be the 2nd offensive tackle (4th OL) off the board.

He is very good and I don't think he's fallen as much as a lot of these mock drafts indicate. But, college awards winners are not always a good indicator of NFL ability. You'll remember Barrett Jones wan nearly every award imaginable, and he went 4th round, and I don't think ever started an NFL game unless it was a fill in for injury. But, I still bet Leatherwood goes higher than many are suggesting. Someone I respect immensely when it comes to the draft recently said he thought Alex would be the 2nd offensive tackle (4th OL) off the board.

I guess that's true. Gino Toretta was the Heisman winner and he was a bust in the NFL. And he went in the 7th round. I guess I just thought Leatherwood was better than 2nd round. But it doesn't matter because he's going to make bank in the NFL no matter where he is drafted.

I guess that's true. Gino Toretta was the Heisman winner and he was a bust in the NFL. And he went in the 7th round. I guess I just thought Leatherwood was better than 2nd round. But it doesn't matter because he's going to make bank in the NFL no matter where he is drafted.

That's because Copeland, Curry, Oden, and Teague showed the scouts how he really was.

Can someone please explain something to me? Alex Leatherwood is a first team All American. He won the Outland trophy for best tackle. He has played outstanding all year and is an anchor for the best OL in the nation. But he's projected in the mid to late 2nd round. I don't understand this. I have seen the scouting reports on him and read about all his shortcomings, but why is he such a decorated player if he's not that good? It's like a Green Beret who wins the DSC, the Silver Star, and the Medal of Honor, and then some general says I don't want that guy in my squad. Really?

just cause SOME say something...dont make it so....Alex will be a first rounder...early second at worse...
He has proven his capabilities

Some bust and some dont....regardless of where they are drafted...oreven never drafted..no indication of anything ...

I put zero stock in what McShay and Kiper rank players. I said in another post, they miss a lot more than they get right. I understand people value what they say and that’s why they have that job, but I bet my brokerage account the GM’s and team presidents et al don’t listen to anything those guys have to say when choosing players for their teams.

but I bet my brokerage account the GM’s and team presidents et al don’t listen to anything those guys have to say when choosing players for their teams.

Correct. If they do, they're morons. Teams have an extensive network of scouts that work with the GM, head coach, and front office to set up their boards. It's like Alabama's recruiting board. It changes all year long up until signing day(s), and Saban has the final say. In the NFL, the GM usually sit in the captains chair, but some coaches have more control than others and some owners are more involved than others. And Kiper, McShay and most of those guys do a good job overall, but it's an impossible task to get many right. If you looked at draft boards from 3 random teams, you'd see very significant differences all over based on scouting feedback, team needs, medical info, team interviews, etc...

Perception issues here in my view. Going in the 2nd round to the NFL is still really good!!!! I understand the intent of your post but 2nd rounders are still really good players.

Mac Jones Follows National Championship by Winning the Manning Award - Official Site of the Allstate Sugar Bowl

NEW ORLEANS (January 19, 2020) – Alabama star Mac Jones has been selected as the 2020 winner of the Manning Award, presented by the Allstate Sugar Bowl to the top quarterback in the nation. The Manning Award, now in its 17th year, was created by the Allstate Sugar Bowl to honor the college football accomplishments of Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning. It is the only quarterback award that takes into consideration the candidates’ bowl and playoff performances in its balloting. The award is voted on by a panel of local and national media, as well as each of the Mannings.

Back
Top Bottom