| FTBL Alabama defense scheme predictable

That's tough to watch. It appears to me that we were out of position a ton in this game. Little things like not covering all of the gaps on an option or stunting to far inside and losing contain, allowing the quarterback to escape the pocket. All that amounted to big things for Vandy. Does that mean the scheme doesn't work? Maybe. Or is that more of the scheme hasn't been learned enough yet. Guess we gonna find out.

The biggest thing I noticed is that Bama didn't stay "home" and allowed massive holes.

Several thoughts:

1st. Wommack said in yesterdays press conference that they did things that they did not do before. This is typical. Just about every single team is going to start with play that the defense has never seen. This is the yolk they carry for an Alabama Defense. Every team will do this with us. To that end, this is where CNS would really show off his prowess in the game & half time adjustments. Come the 3rd quarter the defense was locked in with their game plan. This did NOT happen against Vandy, or any other team up to this point BTW.

2nd. The mental toughness of this team is weak & soft. They wilted under pressure. Period. As such Vandy kept pounding & they made that defenses ass quit! By the 4th quarter, just completely dominated. At that point, they were not coachable so it wouldn't matter if Wommack called every play right in the 4th, they weren't comprehending it, etc.

3rd. The Vandy offense was always, ALWAYS, ahead of Wommack. When the D adjusted to their outside runs, they saw it & when right up the middle (34 min mark). There has been some that suggest that Wommack has been playing a basic defense for pretty much 95% of the season. Well, it's time to stop that crap IF we are holding back. Impletement the entire defense. Get these guys ready, equip them to be able to able to have an upper hand on the offenses, not the other way around.

My 3 cents worth of wooden nickle.

I get Vandy is better team than they have been in the past. Just looking at our defensive scheme, it was terrible. 3 man rush, did we blitz at all, run blitz, any blitz, no pressure at the point of attack. It was very concerning, IMO.

Several thoughts:

2nd. The mental toughness of this team is weak & soft. They wilted under pressure. Period. As such Vandy kept pounding & they made that defenses ass quit! By the 4th quarter, just completely dominated. At that point, they were not coachable so it wouldn't matter if Wommack called every play right in the 4th, they weren't comprehending it, etc.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
We were beat before Saturday in my opinion, the heck with the 4th quarter. The most woefully prepared defense I have seen BAMA field. Made me yearn for the days of Pete.

**Edit: I was at the game Carl Torbush threw us out to the LSU wolves and Rohan Davey. That was a defensive masterpiece as well. :poop:

Sad but true..
The S&C program we are using focuses mainly on late quarter stamina and injury prevention… Not brute strength as it was under Cochran…We usually outlast teams in the later quarters and pull ahead… Kirby Smart even admitted it we “wore them out”…The lines on both sides are usually in a fight (sometimes struggling) until late in games..They need to adjust the lines for more brute strength for SEC play, it’s too finesse…Vandy team was full of rage but thinking clearly at the same time… We were just physically beaten in every position…

Sad but true..
The S&C program we are using focuses mainly on late quarter stamina and injury prevention… Not brute strength as it was under Cochran…We usually outlast teams in the later quarters and pull ahead… Kirby Smart even admitted it we “wore them out”…The lines on both sides are usually in a fight (sometimes struggling) until late in games..They need to adjust the lines for more brute strength for SEC play, it’s too finesse…Vandy team was full of rage but thinking clearly at the same time… We were just physically beaten in every position…

The time of possesion was 42 minutes Vandy to 18 minutes 'Bama. No S&C program is going to make players that can hold up to that kind of disproportion of time. In the very least 'Bama could have slowed down their offensive time of possession by milking the clock themselves. But Vandy always snapped the ball with only 5 seconds or less left on the play clock.

Vandy just outcoached & outprepared 'Bama. Simple as that....

The time of possesion was 42 minutes Vandy to 18 minutes 'Bama. No S&C program is going to make players that can hold up to that kind of disproportion of time. In the very least 'Bama could have slowed down their offensive time of possession by milking the clock themselves. But Vandy always snapped the ball with only 5 seconds or less left on the play clock.

Vandy just outcoached & outprepared 'Bama. Simple as that....
I have noticed since we went to “science training” we have been beaten by teams that mainly had stronger players… Michigan was a stronger team last year on both lines… mainly because Hardballs revamped his S&C to the best in the country…when Clemson beat us their S&C had surpassed ours at that point and time… Make no mistake, the reason Bama won all those years because our S&C was ahead of all others… Talent was secondary..
Remember Nick Saban most important hire at LSU was Mottfit..

Last edited:
I have noticed since we went to “science training” we have been beaten by teams that mainly had stronger players… Michigan was a stronger team last year on both lines… mainly because Hardballs revamped his S&C to the best in the country…when Clemson beat us their S&C had surpassed ours at that point and time… Make no mistake, the reason Bama won all those years because our S&C was ahead of all others… Talent was secondary..

Glad you said that, I thought I was the only one seeing this!!!

Back
Top Bottom