| FTBL Damien Harris Comments on Malachi Moore [Update: Moore issues apology via social media]

Players “don’t owe fans anything”? Wow! We definitely don’t ageee on this for sure. Now I get that I’m old but a big part of what’s wrong with sports today is the players don’t respect the role fans have in the game. Namely, without the fans there wouldn’t be any places for players to play at the collegiate level. And there wouldn’t be a professional level at all. In the past there was a symbiotic relationship between players and fans. Without players there’s no need for fans and vice versa. If one doesn’t respect the other then as with all such relationships a break will eventually occur. At present, the TV money allows the imbalance favoring the owners and the players. Though, the kind of money they’re throwing at sports can’t continue to escalate as it has the past 20 years unless America’s population increases more dramatically than it has during those years. And the demographics of the population increases don’t favor the owners and the players either for that matter.

I could go on but I’ll conclude with one other point. The game I’ve loved passionately my entire life doesn’t hold me as it once did. And the money I’ve invested because of my passion won’t continue with my children and grandchildren. That’s one thing ESPN and others in the media may have miscalculated. The millennials do not share the devotion to college football prior generations had with the game. Ask anyone attached with athletic fundraising at the university level if it’s not a big concern? I know from personal experience that it is. If viewership doesn’t increase the TV money will slow and if millennials and generation x’ers aren’t willing to donate the chunks of money their parents and grandparents did where will the ever increasing amounts of money for the players come from in the future? The only other place it can … from the blue collar fans. But if they’re not respected by the players you can bet they won’t spend their hard earned money enriching them.
I'm not trying to start an argument but from what I just read .. would you say this would come off as entitled fans who think they should get an apology from the players?

I'm not trying to start an argument but from what I just read .. would you say this would come off as entitled fans who think they should get an apology from the players?

I don't gather from his comments that entitled fans get an apology from players. I read it to reflect than fandom does matter to the program in some capacity & now, with NIL, it matters more. There is going to be a clear connection to players getting paid by what they do (good or ill), now more than ever. And the NIL collectives, in particular Yea Alabama, will definitely be impacted by the players. In short, if teams lose games they have no business loosing AND players are making asses of themselves, you will see the coffers of the NIL dry up. Pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom