| FTBL Spit ballin on defense....

TerryP

Staff
@UAgrad93 I've been watching bits and pieces of CMW's defense the last few days. If you get the chance, look it up.

What's striking me is they give a 34 look a lot. Morph, but it is the original look. A lot, morphing into the rabbit type package we've seen with the back seven.

Here's what kills me on a relaxing night...

I've suggested for a few years Bama needed a different scheme on D.

I'm not quite sure how to put this in words. So, here's the dreaded analogy.

Ya know how a basketball ref is assigned to the back line? All three have different responsibilities?

I think I see that with the back seven. One ref sees the foul on the baseline. The other two crash blowing their whistle.

A ten yard out-route is being met with three. Across the middle, four at minimum.

What do I know?

@TerryP I love the basketball ref analogy! My dad officiated basketball for 42 years and in those early years, I would often go with him and sit and watch. While most kids read those 1st year readers, I was reading the NHSF of basketball rule books!!! I developed a love for the game and coached it for 9-10 years. Man it made for some interesting banter with officials when I would argue their missed calls!! Got a few T’s for being a smartass!
I’ll take a look when I can and watch some of CMW’s defense.

The 3-4 or 3-3-5 is still popular across college and pros. But, like you, I have wondered if offenses have figured it out. With the proliferation of running QBs and pre-snap motion, the 3-4 seems to be outmatched. I have wondered if we would see a growing trend of moving back to the 4-man front. I will be interested to see how the defense progresses.

Well...3-3-5 or 4-2-5
....don't care as long as D is disciplined...can tackle...and put pressure on QB
Last few years have been blaaaa... wasted so much talent.... and crap...cant even cover back out of backfield...on 4th n 3....in biggest game of season...
Am tired of seeing offences make plays on our Ds in critical situations

From watching a couple of series against Southern Miss, it looks like Wommack is using his weakside DE as a “drop end” sinking him into like a flat coverage defender and moving him around as well. His safeties love to come down in run support as well. I’ll be interested to see out personnel groupings!!

I kind of get the impression that the modern 3-4 was catered to stop modern pro style offenses that became popular with teams like the 49ers in the 80s. Bill Parcells' Giants ran a 3-4 that gave Joe Montana all sorts of fits in the 80s...

Saban's bread and butter was stopping teams like Mark Richt's UGA teams or Tommy Tubberville's AU teams in the 2000s... all of which ran pro style offenses.

With the proliferation of RPOs and running QBs, the key to playing defense now is athleticism and speed, from sideline to sideline. You have to have eye discipline and fast reaction times.

Back
Top Bottom