| FTBL Damien Harris Comments on Malachi Moore [Update: Moore issues apology via social media]

Someone commented about the coin toss. Please elaborate about what you saw. I didn’t notice anything so please enlighten those of us that are blind.
This is what I read - Diego Pavia says Alabama trash talked Vanderbilt pregame, wanted to treat like FCS program

Things like this and Moore as a captain disrespecting his DC is a very disturbing trend. I know CKD has a different style but in the end he must demand respect and hold players accountable. Now he took up for Moore and had his back. What he said about Moore I am sure is spot on but something is missing. Maybe what he said will be the catalyst for these guys to prepare the right way and play harder and basically do their job. We all know they need to show tremendous improvement on D.

Last edited:
This is what I read - Diego Pavia says Alabama trash talked Vanderbilt pregame, wanted to treat like FCS program

Things like this and Moore as a captian disrespecting his DC is a very disturbing trend. I know CKD has a different style but in the end he must demand respect and hold players accountable. Now he took up for Moore and had his back. What he said about Moore I am sure is spot on but something is missing. Maybe what he said will be the catalyst for these guys to prepare the right way and play harder and basically do their job. We all know they need to show tremendous improvement on D.
I'm sure there was trash talk on both sides, just because you see it on the internet doesn't make it true. Pavia had his fair share of trash talking during the game as well.

There's trash talk nearly all game from defensive backs and wide receivers, we all act like it's the worst thing ever and we can't believe it happens.

I was playing in the 2000s and there was trash talk then, and there's still trash talk now...Football will always have it in the game, in competitions like this you're going to have some emotions boiling over too.

I'm sure there was trash talk on both sides, just because you see it on the internet doesn't make it true. Pavia had his fair share of trash talking during the game as well.

There's trash talk nearly all game from defensive backs and wide receivers, we all act like it's the worst thing ever and we can't believe it happens.

I was playing in the 2000s and there was trash talk then, and there's still trash talk now...Football will always have it in the game, in competitions like this you're going to have some emotions boiling over too.
I understand this happens but I also know in the end if you go out and dominate you do not have to trash talk.

So I don't disagree with the content of Harris' rant. But I do disagree with him expressing it on that public platform, particularly as a former player.

One thing I had never considered before Saban taught us, was that we fans are also a part of the program. How we act can either add or subtract from our program's potential. Are we building up the team or tearing it down? Are we making Bama more or less attractive to prospective recruits? Are we actually helping our players during games by making noise for opposing offenses, or are we there simply to be entertained? Etc.

And while I think forums like this are appropriate settings for candid remarks and honest appraisals, appearing on a podcast requires a stricter decorum. As a former player, and one who I respect, Harris should have used more discretion. In fact, if he felt so strongly, he could have asked DeBoer if he could speak to the team, or some other discrete option. The problem is, everyone has a platform these days, including former players who experienced the best of times and who might want to leverage their past success into a career in podcasting or broadcasting. And frankly, being critical or sensational is what sells. Just ask Finebaum. So it will be a miracle if DeBoer can survive and endure in this climate with so many voices competing with each other for an audience and a following. In this competitive and saturated sports talk space, the irony is that former players, who might sincerely wish the best for Bama and DeBoer, could end up being just as damaging and parasitic as say a Finebaum, whose whole business model is one that rides the coattails of others' success and then piles on others' misfortune. And as difficult as it is to be a successful coach at Bama, much less following the GOAT, I fear that this environment could create additional instability for the program as so many former players come to feast at the table of opining on the post-Saban era, and along the way exacerbating every little hiccup and challenge that DeBoer experiences.

The best we can do is to avoid fueling and promoting everyone with a negative opinion about the state of the program. Because in this Information Age, there will always be someone with a negative take on Bama, not unlike how the 24-hour news cycle is dominated by bad news constantly. Negativity sells, so we have to stop buying it. And I hate to say it, but Saban himself had better use discretion as well so that he doesn't comment on the DeBoer era in a way that makes Bama appear less appealing to potential recruits. It will be VERY interesting to see how much the Gameday crew relies on Saban to offer opinions on poor outings like the one we saw in Nashville!

So I don't disagree with the content of Harris' rant. But I do disagree with him expressing it on that public platform, particularly as a former player.

One thing I had never considered before Saban taught us, was that we fans are also a part of the program. How we act can either add or subtract from our program's potential. Are we building up the team or tearing it down? Are we making Bama more or less attractive to prospective recruits? Are we actually helping our players during games by making noise for opposing offenses, or are we there simply to be entertained? Etc.

And while I think forums like this are appropriate settings for candid remarks and honest appraisals, appearing on a podcast requires a stricter decorum. As a former player, and one who I respect, Harris should have used more discretion. In fact, if he felt so strongly, he could have asked DeBoer if he could speak to the team, or some other discrete option. The problem is, everyone has a platform these days, including former players who experienced the best of times and who might want to leverage their past success into a career in podcasting or broadcasting. And frankly, being critical or sensational is what sells. Just ask Finebaum. So it will be a miracle if DeBoer can survive and endure in this climate with so many voices competing with each other for an audience and a following. In this competitive and saturated sports talk space, the irony is that former players, who might sincerely wish the best for Bama and DeBoer, could end up being just as damaging and parasitic as say a Finebaum, whose whole business model is one that rides the coattails of others' success and then piles on others' misfortune. And as difficult as it is to be a successful coach at Bama, much less following the GOAT, I fear that this environment could create additional instability for the program as so many former players come to feast at the table of opining on the post-Saban era, and along the way exacerbating every little hiccup and challenge that DeBoer experiences.

The best we can do is to avoid fueling and promoting everyone with a negative opinion about the state of the program. Because in this Information Age, there will always be someone with a negative take on Bama, not unlike how the 24-hour news cycle is dominated by bad news constantly. Negativity sells, so we have to stop buying it. And I hate to say it, but Saban himself had better use discretion as well so that he doesn't comment on the DeBoer era in a way that makes Bama appear less appealing to potential recruits. It will be VERY interesting to see how much the Gameday crew relies on Saban to offer opinions on poor outings like the one we saw in Nashville!
Fully agree with this. I did say I agree with Damien and even more so after seeing the full video of what he had done at the end of and during the game. It just feels like this was such a shock to him and it kept building drive after drive it boiled over. Nothing in his 5 years in Tuscaloosa would have predicted this. With that said I think what Damien saw was so appaling to him he felt like something needed to be said.

Now lets turn the page before we end up double dipping and find ourselves on the short end of back to back games.

Back
Top Bottom