| FTBL Alabama defense scheme predictable

Several thoughts:

1st. Wommack said in yesterdays press conference that they did things that they did not do before.
He actually stated that none of the plays they ran all game were on film. It was an entirely new playbook for Vandy this game. Tendencies were there because they run a lot of triple option and read option but none of the plays like the shovel passes or the triple option power runs were even on film. That's hard to fix as a Defensive Coordinator.

I admit he probably should've made the adjustment to blow up the mesh point instead of scraping with the Defensive end and started running more zone coverage on 3rd downs perhaps showing man and then backing off into zone.

Defensive Line and Ends were pretty bad this game, we all knew it, showing the film just adds weight to the fact that the play from the line was awful.

Gotta teach attacking, can't keep trying to catch tackle which is something it seems our team does a lot of. Instead of attacking downhill and filling gaps they tend to wait for a RB to commit to a gap and then try to catch and pull him down. Doing that is going to net the offense 3-4 yards on most power rushing plays or dive plays.

Funny, almost half of these highlights are plays where Latham made a terrible decision, missed a tackle, or took the wrong leverage.

Glad you said that, I thought I was the only one seeing this!!!

It's his default position after literally every loss. And while he's overly obsessed with it, his track record on substance is, well... not great. Hitch your wagon to his Dead Horse Express if you wish, but you better strap into a 5 point harness.

Just a few examples...

He has lauded Bama's conditioning in the past after wins, claiming it to be the difference in the game.
We gassed them out… not many teams have a 4th quarter S&C program.. that saved our ass

This, posted in the spring of last year... since which time, Alabama has gone 2-0 against them (to improve to 9-1 over their last 10 meetings)...
UGA has a superior S&C program so far…Hopefully Saban recalibrated our strength and conditioning program, especially on both lines

Another goodie, especially considering Bama's most impressive season under Saban (which is one hell of a high water mark) was the 2020 season which was under the umbrella of the new S&C Sports Science staff... and oh by the way, the OL won the Joe Moore award that year...
I think the biggest miscalculation Saban ever made was bringing the science based strength and conditioning program into Alabama.. they haven’t had that dominant playing mentality since.. both of their lines have never been very dominant since..

Maybe the all-timer though... in the middle of the game last season, he declared LSU's S&C program superior the FSU's, and again the difference in the matchup after the Tigers held an early 1st half lead. The tired, worn out FSU team went on to win by 21 points, outscoring LSU 31-7 in the 2nd half.
FSU is getting tired… LSU appears much fresher.. superior S&C

He then came to the conclusion weeks later, after LSU hired Bo Davis (who he seemed to indicate failed at Texas, but that's a bad take for another day), that yes, LSU's S&C was in fact suffering...
Moffit or Cochran no longer there.. LSU hurting without Moffit
I know he is good.. but the S&C is very important to lines..It is lacking in LSU..

In a nutshell, what he's asking for, hoping for, is for Alabama to basically ditch their entire S&C staff and go back to what would basically amount to the S&C version of the wishbone... BENCH & SQUAT, Y'ALL! WE DON'T NEED NOTHING ELSE!

1728415171656.png

It's his default position after literally every loss. And while he's overly obsessed with it, his track record on substance is, well... not great. Hitch your wagon to his Dead Horse Express if you wish, but you better strap into a 5 point harness.

Just a few examples...

He has lauded Bama's conditioning in the past after wins, claiming it to be the difference in the game.

This, posted in the spring of last year... since which time, Alabama has gone 2-0 against them (to improve to 9-1 over their last 10 meetings)...

Another goodie, especially considering Bama's most impressive season under Saban (which is one hell of a high water mark) was the 2020 season which was under the umbrella of the new S&C Sports Science staff... and oh by the way, the OL won the Joe Moore award that year...

Maybe the all-timer though... in the middle of the game last season, he declared LSU's S&C program superior the FSU's, and again the difference in the matchup after the Tigers held an early 1st half lead. The tired, worn out FSU team went on to win by 21 points, outscoring LSU 31-7 in the 2nd half.

He then came to the conclusion weeks later, after LSU hired Bo Davis (who he seemed to indicate failed at Texas, but that's a bad take for another day), that yes, LSU's S&C was in fact suffering...

In a nutshell, what he's asking for, hoping for, is for Alabama to basically ditch their entire S&C staff and go back to what would basically amount to the S&C version of the wishbone... BENCH & SQUAT, Y'ALL! WE DON'T NEED NOTHING ELSE!

View attachment 29106
Believe it or not.. The lines need better S&C… watch them get beat early in games…STAMINA SAVED US IN GAMES..
We outlasted UGA by stamina and quickness.. not strength… Smart tipped his hat, to that after the games..

Watch Texas A&M, Motfitt is there..

LSU misses Mottfit’s S&C program since fired by Kelly… Defense line and O line is much weaker, fans are pointing this out..

I have noticed since we went to “science training” we have been beaten by teams that mainly had stronger players… Michigan was a stronger team last year on both lines… mainly because Hardballs revamped his S&C to the best in the country…when Clemson beat us their S&C had surpassed ours at that point and time… Make no mistake, the reason Bama won all those years because our S&C was ahead of all others… Talent was secondary..
Remember Nick Saban most important hire at LSU was Mottfit..

Dude, Clemson beat us because we couldn't convert on 3rd down on Offense. Ther LB stated the offense was basic with Hurts first year. It was. And that 'Bama Defense had the best DL compared the '92 DL. CNS stated that once the big guys are spent, its done. Period. That's what happened at the end of the game when we couldn't get to Deshawn Watson.

Michigan's roster was filled w/ 5th & 6th year seniors throughout the roster. No S&C program can make young men fill into their frame as grown men more than aging. And our center was spaced out with snapping the football. Neither issues has anything to do w/ S&C.

And I'll stand by this point again: No S&C program can prepare for the 42 mins to 18 mins time of possession. No group of guys could handle that. Hell, in 2011 that defense was fully under your sacred Cochran S&C program, & Coach Saban himself coined the "shit through a tin horn" phrase referring to how Georgia Southern (a Triple Offense team... hmm, coincidence?) ran through that defense that put 11 guys in the league. "Could not stop them. Could NOT Stop them!!!" was the statement that CNS kept saying about that game. He didn't say anything about S&C. I don't know, I'll put stock in CNS assessment over your blanket S&C gripe.

Believe it or not.. The lines need better S&C… watch them get beat early in games…STAMINA SAVED US IN GAMES..
We outlasted UGA by stamina and quickness.. not strength… Smart tipped his hat, to that after the games..

Watch Texas A&M, Motfitt is there..

LSU misses Mottfit’s S&C program since fired by Kelly… Defense line and O line is much weaker, fans are pointing this out..

On some level, I actually kinda admire you for sticking to your narrative. But I pointed out the absurdity of your claims with your own words. That seemed to have more substance at least than just simply telling you that you're wrong and way off base, but... you're wrong, and way off base. Proctor, Pritchett, Booker, Roberts, and Brailsford are not lacking strength. Hell, I don't even understand how that conclusion can be reached. On the DL, strength isn't the issue. It's literally almost everything else.

As far as "fans pointing this out"... I haven't really seen that, but I also simply don't give a shit. Most of our fans are borderline retarded when it comes to discussing anything beyond the coin toss.

Dude, Clemson beat us because we couldn't convert on 3rd down on Offense. Ther LB stated the offense was basic with Hurts first year. It was. And that 'Bama Defense had the best DL compared the '92 DL. CNS stated that once the big guys are spent, its done. Period. That's what happened at the end of the game when we couldn't get to Deshawn Watson.

Michigan's roster was filled w/ 5th & 6th year seniors throughout the roster. No S&C program can make young men fill into their frame as grown men more than aging. And our center was spaced out with snapping the football. Neither issues has anything to do w/ S&C.

And I'll stand by this point again: No S&C program can prepare for the 42 mins to 18 mins time of possession. No group of guys could handle that. Hell, in 2011 that defense was fully under your sacred Cochran S&C program, & Coach Saban himself coined the "shit through a tin horn" phrase referring to how Georgia Southern (a Triple Offense team... hmm, coincidence?) ran through that defense that put 11 guys in the league. "Could not stop them. Could NOT Stop them!!!" was the statement that CNS kept saying about that game. He didn't say anything about S&C. I don't know, I'll put stock in CNS assessment over your blanket S&C gripe.
“Cant make their ass quit” again until something is done…Thats what everybody really wants..

On some level, I actually kinda admire you for sticking to your narrative. But I pointed out the absurdity of your claims with your own words. That seemed to have more substance at least than just simply telling you that you're wrong and way off base, but... you're wrong, and way off base. Proctor, Pritchett, Booker, Roberts, and Brailsford are not lacking strength. Hell, I don't even understand how that conclusion can be reached. On the DL, strength isn't the issue. It's literally almost everything else.

As far as "fans pointing this out"... I haven't really seen that, but I also simply don't give a shit. Most of our fans are borderline retarded when it comes to discussing anything beyond the coin toss.
When we went to smaller, leaner quicker lines and lost Scott Cochran… We have been missing that dominance.. just saying i

Attachments

• cc23a3aa-7d63-4ad2-8fe1-8187cf8c7395_text.gif
    cc23a3aa-7d63-4ad2-8fe1-8187cf8c7395_text.gif
    340.9 KB · Views: 5
@BamaFan334 at least around here, on this site, the overwhelming majority don't come close to that category. It's mostly the Finebaum listener types and the more casual fans who have mental breakdowns over every little negative thing that occurs, but couldn't name more than 5 current players. I'm friends with a couple of them myself... got a text from one today still bitching about the game.

@BamaFan334 at least around here, on this site, the overwhelming majority don't come close to that category. It's mostly the Finebaum listener types and the more casual fans who have mental breakdowns over every little negative thing that occurs, but couldn't name more than 5 current players. I'm friends with a couple of them myself... got a text from one today still bitching about the game.
Just do me a favor… closely watch the points of attack and where the strength in games matter… you don’t have to tell me.. but I think you can see where the weakness are if you focus on it… no hard feelings..

Maybe it’s that the “game” is different. They seem really inconsistent up front to me, the last few years. (On both sides of the ball).
I’m still a fan, I still think they can be really good this year. I’m not saying anyone sucks. So no one needs to get defensive, but the fact remains……..

I know there've been discussions on here about being whipped up front in the last couple years.

After all they’re all getting paid now, so I do feel like they can take some criticism.

“Cant make their ass quit” again until something is done…Thats what everybody really wants..

I concur but our solutions are different. Consider this, Vandy made the D quit. The offense didn't help with these hyperfast scoring drives. But at the end of the day the defense was dominated by Vandy's Offense. Does Vandy have stronger athletes? Does Vandy have better, more effective S&C programs. Does Vandy have more talented athletes subject to their S&C program?

NO . . . . .

But they had the mental toughness & moxy to bust their ass with two weeks of practice to be ready for 'Bama. They were ALL fight. From the coaches down to water boy/girl. And in my Opinion, that MTAQ mentality that CNS created years ago, has been on the decline for some time. And CNS himself pointed out that he was disappointed how 'Bama handled themself after the UM loss. There seems to be a mental midget metality on this team that is permiating this program. And much of college football. And the tactics to address these softminded players are no longer effective because they just quit. Leave the program having not accomplished much of anything & certainly didn't take to developement.

I'm slowly leaning more & more to the harsh reality that those teams that MTAQ will no longer be a part of this beloved program. Even CNS softened up a little bit to have a defense of said calibre. Today's athlete just can't take the tough coaching & developement.

Vandy just outcoached & outprepared 'Bama. Simple as that....
Consider this, Vandy made the D quit.
Think about those two comments. Not something I ever thought I would read. Unfortunatley it was true. Not something if I ever thought I would say either

My mantra all year has been new system and it takes time. The thing they can do the most about is clean up penalties and turnovers short term. I also think the coaches are not paying attention to the smallest of details in practice.

Back
Top Bottom