| FTBL 2023-24 COACHING CAROUSEL UPDATE

Teams
OUT
In
ANALYSIS
TAMU
Jimbo Fisher
Mike Elko
Fisher was fired after posting a 45-25 record in six seasons with the Aggies. He's owed over $77 million to be paid out through 2021.
Michigan St.
Mel Tucker (cause)
Jonathan Smith
Tucker was fired in September amid allegations of sexual harassment. He was 20-14 in four seasons with the Spartans.
Miss State
Zach Arnett
Jeff Lebby
Arnett was fired after posting a 5-6 record with the Bulldogs in his first full season after taking over for the late Mike Leach.
Northwestern
Pat Fitzgerald (cause)
David Braun
Fitzgerald was dismissed after an investigation revealed a culture of hazing within the program. He was 110-101 in 17 seasons leading the Wildcats.
Boise
Andy Avalos
Avalos was let go after 10 games in the 2023 season. He was 22-14 in three seasons leading the Broncos.
SDSU
Brady Hoke (retired)
Sean Lewis
Hoke was 39-30 in two stints with Aztecs (2009-10, 2020-23). He was 104-90 overall as a head coach with stops at Ball State (2003-08), Michigan (2011-14) and as an interim coach at Tennessee (2017).
Syracuse
Dino Barber
Fran Brown
Babers, 62, has been at Syracuse for eight seasons, posting an overall record of 41-55 with two bowl appearances.
New Mexico
Danny Gonzales
Fired
Indiana
Tom Allen
Curt Cignetti
Fired
Duke
Mike Elko
Elko hired at TAMU
UL Monroe
Terry Bowden
Fired, just like his Dad
Houston
Dana Holgorsen
MTSU
Rick Stockstill
UC Davis
Dan Hawkins
Oregon St
Jonathan Smith
Trey Bray
Indiana
Curt Cignetti

Last edited:
I think he's a good coach, but he'd be a risk if they decided to hire him. Unknown what he'd be able to do at that level of college football. If they use what he's been able to accomplish at Utsa as an indication, they might pull the trigger on him.

He's a perfect fit though... extremely well respected in the state at the HS level and understands the weird Aggie culture. Doesn't mean it would work out, but it would already be a giant step in the right direction.

He's a perfect fit though... extremely well respected in the state at the HS level and understands the weird Aggie culture. Doesn't mean it would work out, but it would already be a giant step in the right direction.
Like I said, I think he's a good coach. I just think it's a very big risk for A&M to hire him. This is an important hire for their program moving forward. Taking a chance on Traylor, and him not panning the way they wanted would potentially set them back even further than they are now. Again, he's been successful at Utsa, and has them winning consistently every year.... I just think that it's a bold move for a program that expects to win national championships(not sure why they do).

I've said it before, but if they're gonna take a chance on a coach.... I believe it should be Schumann. He's been around two defensive masterminds who have built elite programs, he's been a great DC these last two years, he develops his position group the best out of all the other programs in the country(for now/let's go Bala!!!), and can recruit his ass off. If they want a national championship level program, why not go after the guy that's been around that level his entire career? I swear to God if Mississippi State ends up getting him, I'm gonna burn that whole state to the ground.

I've said it before, but if they're gonna take a chance on a coach.... I believe it should be Schumann. He's been around two defensive masterminds who have built elite programs, he's been a great DC these last two years, he develops his position group the best out of all the other programs in the country(for now/let's go Bala!!!), and can recruit his ass off. If they want a national championship level program, why not go after the guy that's been around that level his entire career? I swear to God if Mississippi State ends up getting him, I'm gonna burn that whole state to the ground.

I doubt Kirby would advise him to take the MSU job, even if offered. Would be a huge gamble for him, and I think a lot of him.

Like I said, I think he's a good coach. I just think it's a very big risk for A&M to hire him. This is an important hire for their program moving forward. Taking a chance on Traylor, and him not panning the way they wanted would potentially set them back even further than they are now. Again, he's been successful at Utsa, and has them winning consistently every year.... I just think that it's a bold move for a program that expects to win national championships(not sure why they do).

I hear ya. I just think most folks they are going to lure are going to be a risk to some degree, some just more than others. It IMO, that risk goes up if the fit isn’t good. Like Mullen at UF for example… that was a bad fit from the start and Mullen wasn’t good enough to overcome some of those obstacles. But he was perfect for MSU.

You guys know what I think of Jimbo as a head coach. Setting that aside, this is one area that I still can't wrap my brain around.

In the Texas HS convention for football coaches, 40K+ mind you, Jimbo was a "no show." You just don't do that.

A lot of rumors and smoke blowing around out there... talked to someone plugged in with agents earlier this evening and it's his feeling A&M will eventually go with Traylor... the support for that hire would be big, but it sounds like Bjork may want to go another direction (for now). Ultimately, unless he can get a "yes" from someone with a very strong consensus, it may not be his decision to make. Texas (and OU to an extent), coming in is having an impact on all this... A&M does not want to get stuck behind the Longhorns on or off the field. He thinks they will move pretty quick though and have a coach hired very shortly after next weekend, in part due to the possible, eventual opening at Michigan (though his opinion is that A&M is the better job).

MSU's direction seems even less clear... they have former players and some in the admin who want(ed) Mullen... it doesn't appear that is a possibility at this point (Mullen has even publicly said as much). Chadwell, Leipold (also squarely on A&M's radar), Lashlee, Fritz, and Sumrall have all (at least their agents) been reached out to and it doesn't sound like any have shut the door yet (though the feeling is that Chadwell would be too costly plus he wants to wait on other jobs and Sumrall wants to wait on the Kentucky job for if/when Stoops eventually gets hired away). It could be after next Saturday's games before it gets too formal with most of them. A couple of wild cards mentioned were Jonathan Smith... if Oregon St. wins tomorrow night, his stock is going to shoot up to an all-time high... there is belief that there would be serious interest from his side if he ends up heavily in the mix, but that he'd prefer the UCLA job. Secondly, there's also been a push by some pro-Leach advocates to give strong consideration to GJ Kinne because of the youth/energy he'd bring combined with his offensive style that they think is ultimately necessary for MSU to compete with consistently in the SEC. Also a good chance someone emerges and gets it that is out of the blue... One example he gave, although he said he's heard nothing on him and he'd be unlikely to have much interest, was Chris Peterson. But he said he'd at least reach out to him if he was Zac Selmon.

Lastly, mentioned the other day that Harbaugh may weasel out of Ann Arbor and end up back in the NFL with the Raiders. The Panthers are now also a possibility if they keep collecting loses and dump Reich... Their owner, like Harbaugh, is also a bit of an unorthodox, out of the box type, and he wouldn't be afraid to bring in a personality like Harbaugh. Personally, I think that would be a disaster for Bryce Young, so hopefully it doesn't happen.

Ultimately, unless he can get a "yes" from someone with a very strong consensus, it may not be his decision to make.
I'll argue this is going to be a 12th Man Foundation hire. They are coughing up the 20+ million this fall to send Jimbo on his way...they'll make the decision on who gets the next 50+ million dollar contract.

While a lot of this is different, it's the same situation as Bama going from Stallings to DuBose. It'll be a coaching hire influenced by emails and texts versus the fax machine.

I'll argue this is going to be a 12th Man Foundation hire. They are coughing up the 20+ million this fall to send Jimbo on his way...they'll make the decision on who gets the next 50+ million dollar contract.

While a lot of this is different, it's the same situation as Bama going from Stallings to DuBose. It'll be a coaching hire influenced by emails and texts versus the fax machine.

Same type deal we’ve seen elsewhere… when folks fork over a truck load of cash, they also feel entitled to some of the decision making that follows. And honestly, putting full faith and trust in Bjork? I’d have the sweats.

Apparently AD gave Pittman the ole confidence booster, usually means a death sentence but we shall see. Babers out at Syracuse.

Back
Top Bottom