| FTBL 2013 Spring/A-Day Awards & A-Day Stats

JoshB

- Dixie Howell Memorial A-Day MVP: TJ Yeldon
- Dwight Stephenson Lineman of A-Day Game: Ryan Kelly
- Sylvester Croom Commitment to Excellence Award: AJ McCarron, HaHa Clinton-Dix
- Mal Moore Leadership Award: Anthony Steen, Ed Stinson
- Bart Starr Most Improved Player Award: Austin Shepherd, Arie Kouandijo, DeAndrew White, & Denzel Devall
- Ozzie Newsome Most Improved Freshman Award: Derrick Henry, OJ Howard, Kenyan Drake, Ryan Anderson, Landon Collins, Cyrus Jones
- Bear Bryant Outstanding Non-Scholarship Award: Parker Barrineau, Zach Houston
- Derrick Thomas Community Service Award: Kevin Norwood, Blake Sims
- Woodrow Lowe Linebacker Award: CJ Mosley
- Ray Perkins Receiver Award: Amari Cooper
- Johnny Musso Offensive Back Award: TJ Yeldon
- Bobby Johns Defensive Back Award: Deion Belue
- Paul Crane Offensive Lineman Award: Cyrus Kouandjio
- Billy Neighbors Defensive Lineman Award: Jeoffery Pagan
- Jerry Duncan "I Like to Practice" Award: Ryan Kelly, Brian Vogler, Vinnie Sunseri, & Davlin Tomlinson
- Lee Roy Jordan Headhunter Award: Christian Jones, Adrian Hubbard

WHITE
PASSING
AJ McCarron: 19/30, 223 yards, 1 Td, 2 INT
Phillip Ely: 2/4, 8 yards
Parker McLeod: 1/2, 19 yards

RUSHING
TJ Yeldon: 15 carries, 69 yards, 1 TD; 7 catches, 60 yards
Trey Roberts: 2 carries, 12 yards
Marcus Polk: 1 carry, 4 yards
Dee Hart: 2 carries, -1 yards

RECEIVING
Brian Vogler: 4 catches, 24 yards
Amari Cooper: 4 catches, 21 yards
Kenny Bell: 3 catches, 71 yards, 1 TD
Christion Jones: 3 catches, 50 yards
P. Barrineau: 1 catch, 19 yards

DEFENSE
Landon Collins: 5 TKL, 1 INT, 28 yards, 2 PBU
Jabriel Washington: 4 TKL
Jarrick Williams: 4 TKL, 1 PBU
Dillon Lee: 4 TKL, 1 PBU
Nick Perry: 3 TKL, 1.0 TFL, 2 INT, 42 yards, 1 PBU
Ryan Anderson: 3 TKL
Reggie Ragland: 3 TKL
Christion Jones: 2 TKL
Davlin Tomlinson: 2 TKL, 1.0 TFL, 1.0 sack
Bradley Sylve: 2 TKL
LaMichael Fanning: 2 TKL, 1 QBH
Tyler Owens: 1 TKL, 1 INT
Bernel Jones: 1 TKL
Michael Newsome: 1 TKL
Malcolm Faciane: 1 TKL

SPECIAL TEAMS
Cade Foster: 1/1 FGs (29 yards)
Cody Mandell: 4 punts, 45.8 YPP (long: 57)

CRIMSON
PASSING
Alec Morris: 10/18, 141 yards
Blake Sims: 5/10, 52 yards, 2 INT; 3 carries, 7 yards
Luke Del Rio: 2/3, 38 yards
Cooper Bateman: 1/3, 3 yards, 2 iNT

RUSHING
Kenyan Drake: 8 carries, 33 yards; 4 catches, 18 yards
Trey Roberts: 4 carries, 11 yards; 1 catch, 31 yards

RECEIVING
DeAndrew White: 3 catches, 62 yards
Chris Black: 3 catches, 51 yards
Raheem Falkins: 3 catches, 43 yards
OJ Howard: 3 catches, 22 yards

DEFENSE
CJ Mosley: 9 TKL, 0.5 TFL, 1 FR
Tana Patrick: 8 TKL, 1 FF
HaHa Clinton-DIx: 6 TKL, 1 FR, 55 yards, 1 PBU
Ed Stinson: 5 TKL
Deion Belue: 4 TKL, 1 FF, 3 PBU
Brandon Ivory: 4 TKL
Geno Smith: 3 TKL
Denzel Devall: 3 TKL
Adrian Hubbard: 3 TKL, 1 QBH
Vinnie Sunseri: 3 TKL, 0.5 TFL, 1 INT, 86 yards, 1 TD
MK Taylor: 1 TLK, 1 INT
Jeoffrey Pagan: 1 TKL, 1.0 TFL, 1 QBH

SPECIAL TEAMS
Worth Gregory: 1 punt, 26 yards
Cody Mandell: 3 punts, 51.7 YPP (long: 62 yards)

Geno Smith and Deon Belue played pretty damn good. Ha-Ha, Sunseri, and Landon Collins played like we all expected them too play. Ryan Kelly was doing really good too...Alec Morris IMO should be #2 on the QB depth chart

That game looked disorganized and outside of the top 2 groups, everyone later in the depth chart seemed to be not paying attention and the discipline wasn't there from previous years. Saban and others had to talk too much with some of those guys. I equate this years group with the 2010 group, they look similar and we know in 2010 we had a bit of a fall off. I hope they all regain their focus and start working hard during the summer and come out with renewed intensity in fall.

During the luncheon with Coach Saban before A-Day said the toughest thing thus far has been keeping everyone focused so yeah that was very evident. The 3rd Quarter was pretty painful to watch with mostly 2nd and 3rd team players in there making a ton of mistakes, but even AJ made a cpl bone head plays that I truly hope he wouldnt make (and dont think he would) in real games. The first drive looked like the AJ we know, made a beautiful sideline pass and then hit Kenny Bell on the TD. Yeldon looked great all day running and catching. The line actually played alot better than I expected this early. I was truly impressed with the DBs, far more than I expected to be. Did Belue look great or what?! The pick 6 for Vinnie was set up by the excellent play on the ball by Belue (heads up to Vinnie for adjusting to the ball and getting the pick too) and he also made a great pass breakup in the endzone late in the game too. Landon Collins was something else on back to back plays he broke on the ball something fierce with the 2nd ending up in a pick. HaHa was just as good as we all knew he was going to be. I was really surprised how comfortable Cyrus Jones looked at Corner too. I was disappointed that I didnt notice Jai Miller out there. I saw him on the sideline but never saw him in the game tho Im sure he got some playing time at some point. Alec Morris was the only other QB that really looked decent at all. Blake Sims seems to have regressed which is very unfortunate because I'm rooting for him. His picks were absolutely atrocious throws and he panicked several times.

A lot can fall on to how good the defense is playing. McCarron did make some bone head plays, throwing into double coverage, he missed Volger and Jones at times...Hope that gets looked at.. It was pretty much a typical A-Day game IMO, nothing really exciting, just good too see the players and the rotations..Glad the O-line looked good though..I'm sure once fall gets here, it will all mold together and the intensity will be there..Plus getting Fowler back will give us I-formation again, so that's good news.....If anything I want to be fixed is that damn 2 yard crossing route on 3rd-and-long...Take that play, crumble it up, and use it as fire wood on Homecoming.

Here’s my take on the Alabama A-Day game:

Most concerns, heading into Spring camp, revolved around Alabama’s secondary and reloading the Offensive line. To reiterate from an earlier post, replacing Dee Milliner, Barrett Jones, DJ Fluker, and Chance Warmack is no easy task. But I was very impressed with the new O-line on Saturday. Their run blocking was consistent, and they’re pass pro held up just fine (just to be clear, the 1st-string O-line was having to block the 1st-string D-line and LB’s). Deion Belue, in my opinion, was the star of the day. He seems so much more improved since last season, and his experience and leadership is vital to the success of Bama’s pass coverage (also keep in mind that Belue had to cover Amari Cooper all day). Cyrus Jones, who played opposite of Belue, also had an impressive day. He gave up an early TD to Kenny Bell (Jonathan Banks gave up an uglier TD to Kenny Bell last season btw), but was able to regroup and finish the day strong. Jones is shorter than the Bama CB’s we’ve seen in the past, but his athleticism and speed make up for his 5’10″ stature. The safety play was tremendous throughout the day, which is a very good sign heading into the summer. Vinnie Sunseri looks faster, Landon Collins and HaHa Clinton-Dix are physical nightmares, and Nick Perry (who’s had to be relied on in the past) came away from the game with two INT’s. TJ Yeldon had a great day, as well. What’s most impressive is his ability to catch the ball coming out of the backfield. With Bama’s WR corps being so talented, Yeldon’s catching ability just adds on to the many issues plaguing the dreams of defensive coordinators.

Now it wouldn’t be fair to only mention the praises of the day, without being a realist. One word you could use to describe A-Day would be “sloppy.” There were 9 turnovers committed during the game, which is definitely not a characteristic of a Saban-coached team. Although there were 9 QB’s listed on Alabama’s roster, most of them only proved that they are too young and inexperienced to be counted on this Fall. If AJ goes down with an injury, Alec Morris or Blake Sims will have to do, and they’re both still far from being ready. But the biggest issue I had with the game was the lack of discipline shown from both sides of the ball. It just didn’t feel right. But I can understand that it could be the result of many factors – talent all over the field, new players, hurt players, complex schemes, kids that are still suppose to be in high school, big game atmosphere. And even though the Crimson Tide looked sloppy, I am confident that fans will see a much more improved product in Atlanta on August 31st. I thought the defense won the day (which is a surprise), but the offense still showed signs of being really, really good. It’ll be interesting to see a healthy Alabama squad come August that includes CJ Moseley, Trey DePriest, Jalston Fowler, John Fulton, Derrick Henry, and Kevin Norwood. My final conclusion: Alabama looked pretty sloppy, but they also looked very talented, and Talent + Nick Saban = Success

Back
Top Bottom