| FTBL A stats dive into the BAMA/UGA game...

Coming into the game:

The teams UGA had played had the following ranks in terms of yards per play among SEC teams:

Arkansas 13th
Tennessee 12th
Auburn 11th

The teams Bama had played had the following ranks in terms of yards per play among SEC teams:

Missouri 6th
Texas A&M 4th
Ole Miss 3rd

Coming into the game:

The teams UGA had played had the following ranks in terms of yards per play among SEC teams:

Arkansas 13th
Tennessee 12th
Auburn 11th
And that mirrored scoring, total, passing, and rushing offense. There were several posts cautioning "look who they've played" that were met by "look at their defense."

And that mirrored scoring, total, passing, and rushing offense. There were several posts cautioning "look who they've played" that were met by "look at their defense."
Based on what you saw in the game do you believe their defense will likely be the best that we face until the CFP? Crazy to say but the only one that might come close could be Ark.

Based on what you saw in the game do you believe their defense will likely be the best that we face until the CFP? Crazy to say but the only one that might come close could be Ark.
Likely. I'm not sold on Arkansas's defense as much as I am on coaching staff's not preparing for Arkansas.

Defense doesn't win championships.

Likely. I'm not sold on Arkansas's defense as much as I am on coaching staff's not preparing for Arkansas.

Defense doesn't win championships.
You and I will just have to disagree on this one. Defense alone I agree but in my view neither does offense alone. To win it all our defense must get better. Just like for UGA to beat Bama their offense must get better. Take the 3 turnovers away and the Bama/UGA game could have had a much different outcome even with the average UGA offense. BTW I honestly expect to see a different QB running their offense if/when we see UGA again.

You and I will just have to disagree on this one. Defense alone I agree but in my view neither does offense alone. To win it all our defense must get better. Just like for UGA to beat Bama their offense must get better. Take the 3 turnovers away and the Bama/UGA game could have had a much different outcome even with the average UGA offense. BTW I honestly expect to see a different QB running their offense if/when we see UGA again.
If...we see UGA again....they havent got past Florida...if Florida plays again...
But uga does have easy route...

Did you happen to catch Saban's post game presser after UGA? Or Ellis Johnson's interview this weekend?

Saban said, "it's now about just getting some stops and allowing your offense to put up points." Ol' Ellis Johnson dropped, "Forget about being the #1 defense in the nation. Those days are over."

Here's what I believe you're missing and I've pointed to it a time or two. "Is this what you want football to be?" Coaches around the country laughed at that. People scoffed because they thought Saban was complaining. He was simply putting out a question, "how do you want to be dominated?"

It's all offense now. Defense is a footnote.

I agree. Defense would have won us a Championship against Clemson the second time we played, and beat them in the Sugar Bowl. I get what he's referring too statistically as we have discussed before, but no matter how good the offense is (look at our 2017-2018 team), you got to have stops on defense.

Take the 3 turnovers away and the Bama/UGA game could have had a much different outcome even with the average UGA offense.

Which is what I was saying in the Predict the Score thread:

"I nailed the total of 65 with my 34-31 pick. Thanks to the INTs, Bama had one more TD and UGA had one less. Or should I say Bama had three more and UGA had three less? I suspect that would have been the case without them."

Defense has to make stops, but it isn't about making every stop anymore. It is about making more stops and forcing more field goals than your opponent. I'll trade their 3 for my 7 every possession at this point.

Friday night my nephew, an UGA grad, asked me my thoughts on the game. I told him I thought the game would be like the 1971 Oklahoma-Nebraska game which was a 35-31 Oklahoma win in one of the best football games I ever watched, and that both Bama and UGA would have five scores and the one that bogged down and kicked the FG would lose.

I agree. Defense would have won us a Championship against Clemson the second time we played, and beat them in the Sugar Bowl. I get what he's referring too statistically as we have discussed before, but no matter how good the offense is (look at our 2017-2018 team), you got to have stops on defense.
For more than a year after that game the cry was "run the ball."

Back
Top Bottom