| FTBL Looking ahead 2020

JoshB

Returning offensive leaders
QB Mac Jones: 97-141 (68.8%), 1,503 yards, 14 TD, 3 INT; 1 rushing TD
RB Najee Harris: 209 carries, 1,224 yards, 13 TD; 27 catches, 304 yards, 7 TD
RB Brian Robinson Jr.: 96 carries, 441 yards, 5 TD
WR DeVonta Smith: 68 catches, 1,256 yards, 14 TD
WR Jaylen Waddle: 33 catches, 560 yards, 6 TD; 20 PR, 487 yards, 1 TD; 5 KOR, 175 yards, 1 TD (1,227 AP yards, 8 total TD)
Miler Forristall: 15 catches, 167 yards, 4 TD
WR Slade Bolden: 2 catches, 34 yards; 4 carries, 10 yards; 1-1, 6 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
OG Deonte Brown (8 starts in 2019), C/OG Landon Dickerson (13 starts, 4 at OG and 9 at C), OT Alex Leatherwood (13 starts), OG Evan Neal (13 starts), C Chris Owens (4 starts) return on offensive line.

Returning defensive leaders
LB Shane Lee: 95 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 3 INT, 5 PBU, 4 FF, 1 FR, 1 blocked kick
LB Christian Harris: 63 TKL, 7.5 TFL, 1 PBU, 1 FF, 2 FR
LB Dylan Moses: missed all of 2019; 86 TKL, 10 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 1 FF in 2018
CB Patrick Surtain II: 42 TKL, 1 TFL, 2 INT, 8 PBU, 2 FR
S Jordan Battle: 30 TKL, 3 TFL, 1 SACK, 1 INT, 1 PBU
CB Josh Jobe: 28 TKL, 1 INT, 3 PBU
DE Phidarian Mathis: 27 TKL, 0.5 TFL
DT Christian Barmore: 26 TKL, 6 TFL, 2 sacks, 2 PBU
NT DJ Dale: 17 TKL, 3 TFL, 1 sack

Returning special teams leaders
P Ty Perine: 44.69 YPP, inside 20: 2
P Skyler DeLong: 33 YPP, Inside 20: 3
K Will Reichard: 4-7 FGs
K Joseph Bulovas: 8-11 FGs

Potential Impact Freshmen:
QB Bryce Young - ***** dual threat from California
DE Will Anderson - ***** from Georgia
DE Chris Braswell - ***** from Maryland
LB Drew Sanders - ***** from Texas
LB Demouy Kennedy - **** from Alabama
RB Jase McClellan - **** from Texas
WR Thaiu Jones-Bell - **** from Florida
CB Ronald Williams - **** from Hutchinson Community College
S Kristian Story - **** from Alabama

Grad Transfers:

TE Carl Tucker – from North Carolina (5 catches for 54 yards, 1 TD; mostly blocker)

Very much appreciate this thread @BamaBoyJosh !

-Cannot overstate how excited I am about watching Waddle & D. Smith dominate. Mechie will be fun to watch develop as well

-Firm believer that Reichard is a special kicker. Ball was booming off his foot before the injury. No telling how that will impact him, but I'm optimistic.

-The confidence and improvement of Battle, Barmore, and Jobe should make the D more formidable.

-Freshman duo of Sanders & Kennedy give us legit depth, day 1 competitors at positions of need. Ronald Williams as well. Love this recruiting class

RTR

I think Smitty is probably one of the most underrated players in the country. I really, really hope Sark is coming up with different ways to get the ball in Waddle's hands. He needs at least 100 total offensive touches, IMO.

I think Smitty is probably one of the most underrated players in the country. I really, really hope Sark is coming up with different ways to get the ball in Waddle's hands. He needs at least 100 total offensive touches, IMO.
I'd love to see that but wonder if we'll see it come to fruition.

I'm thinking we'll see DC's looking at Waddle and Smith as the two they'll need to focus their protection on, right?

As hesitant as I am to mention A-Day, let's go back to last year when Metchie 'arrived.' What was it, MVP of that practice? I'm not sure but I'm thinking I'm right. 🙃

Now...

Slade in slot and the options there.

I'm thinking we see some really good things from Townsend this season. Xavier Williams has the look.

Where are the touches?

FWIW, here's what I see ...

Waddle and Slade handle the rotation at slot.
Metchie takes Z and then it's Williams. (Holden intrigues me.)
Smith at X. Do we see Shavers? Jones-Bell is no joke.

I'm thinking we'll see DC's looking at Waddle and Smith as the two they'll need to focus their protection on, right?

As hesitant as I am to mention A-Day, let's go back to last year when Metchie 'arrived.' What was it, MVP of that practice? I'm not sure but I'm thinking I'm right. 🙃

Now...

I'm thinking we see some really good things from Townsend this season. Xavier Williams has the look.

Where are the touches?

Great points....

The 1 thing you left out, and for good reason - TE's! Total ? for me regard to personnel and production.. Any insight?

Now...

Where are the touches?

They're definitely going to key on Smitty and Waddle but thats why I want to see him get creative. Line Waddle up in the backfield, line him up at QB, line him all over the place. Force DCs to react. That will also open up things for those other guys you mention - and Slade is someone I'm expecting to have a big year - and then that forces you to react to that and potentially frees Waddle and/or Smitty. Not to mention, if you just wanna play dime all day and drop back into zone, Najee Harris is gonna eat your lunch.

The 1 thing you left out, and for good reason - TE's!
"Good reason" being we're talking about receivers? 🤘

We're just going to have to let it play out. What's Sark going to do with a healthy group? Solid rotation but I can't say what's going to happen with the offense right now. They've got their "next three" with Waddle, Smith, and Metchie. We're down to one spot left if we're in a single back set.

Are we going to see more 11 personnel this season? We could.
Do they open that way? I don't see why.

Great points....

The 1 thing you left out, and for good reason - TE's! Total ? for me regard to personnel and production.. Any insight?

You didn't ask me but I think what we're going to see a lot from the new TE (Tucker) is pretty much gonna be an extra tackle. I would say that Tennison and Forristal will be 1A and 1B at tight end but I really really wanna see Billingsley more. He gives me OJ Howard vibes. Could even be a guy you split in the slot.

Slade was a better option for that last season. Why change?

I get what you're saying, but we are talking about the same position here. There's a reason they went with Slade versus Waddle.

That's EASY!!!

Because Waddle has elite level, top 5 in the draft talent. The best we've ever seen in the Saban era with the ball in his hands. So why not... Put the ball in his hands? :)

They're definitely going to key on Smitty and Waddle
These guys will be the focus of D coordinators this year. They will not have Jeudy and Ruggs to take the focus away. How the Offense and Smith and Waddle handle that will be the key. And yes that includes what the offensive coordinator does as you stated. Some players can be the focus of Defenses and continue to produce at a high level but they will need help doing so.

Back
Top Bottom