| FTBL 2006 Season Captains

alagator

Verified Member
I admit that I am too lazy to look this up on rolltide.com, so can someone here please tell me who were the team-elected captains for the 2006 football team?

Specifically, I am trying to remember if Juan Simpson was one.

alagator said:
I admit that I am too lazy to look this up on rolltide.com, so can someone here please tell me who were the team-elected captains for the 2006 football team?

Specifically, I am trying to remember if Juan Simpson was one.

Yes he was.........I can't remember the other one right off hand, but I do remember Juwan specifically was.

yeah Juwan was.

I went to High School (AUSTIN) with him. He was a dual threat Receiver and Linebacker. But mainly Receiver. His senior season we were 9-2 we actually beat Decatur High for a change, and then got throttled in the playoffs by Vestavia. Everyone referred to him as "Red" we have only made one trip to the post season since he left.

I saw him about a month ago at Sammy T's music hall in Huntsville. Said he'd been cut by the Packers but was working hard to try again elsewhere.

Thanks for the confirmation about Simpson. And the additional information about LeRon McClain.

My question about Simpson had to do with the possibility that members of the team voted him a permanent team captain, and the implications such a vote has on the concepts of team discipline, dedication to a larger purpose than one's on selfish needs, and an appreciation of accountability. And just how deep the lack of such concepts might still pervade the 2007 team.

Simpson would have NEVER received my vote for team captain based on the things he did to be suspended and MORE IMPORTANTLY his dismissive attitude and complete lack of remorse in the aftermath. (In fact, I have stated that one of conditions that Simpson be reinstated in any playing capacity should have been his ineligibility for the captainship.) And there are several members of the 2007 team that I think the team may vote as a captain whose personal acts and actions and attitudes do not warrant such consideration.

The vote for captains after this season will tell me quite a lot about how much resistance Saban and staff will face from the players. Should the team choose to honor some of the Senior malcontents instead of lessor skilled players who give maximum effort and represent the honor of being an 'Alabama football playrer' as a captain then our return to some semblance of glory and relevance will be that much longer.

alagator said:
Thanks for the confirmation about Simpson. And the additional information about LeRon McClain.

My question about Simpson had to do with the possibility that members of the team voted him a permanent team captain, and the implications such a vote has on the concepts of team discipline, dedication to a larger purpose than one's on selfish needs, and an appreciation of accountability. And just how deep the lack of such concepts might still pervade the 2007 team.

Simpson would have NEVER received my vote for team captain based on the things he did to be suspended and MORE IMPORTANTLY his dismissive attitude and complete lack of remorse in the aftermath. (In fact, I have stated that one of conditions that Simpson be reinstated in any playing capacity should have been his ineligibility for the captainship.) And there are several members of the 2007 team that I think the team may vote as a captain whose personal acts and actions and attitudes do not warrant such consideration.

The vote for captains after this season will tell me quite a lot about how much resistance Saban and staff will face from the players. Should the team choose to honor some of the Senior malcontents instead of lessor skilled players who give maximum effort and represent the honor of being an 'Alabama football playrer' as a captain then our return to some semblance of glory and relevance will be that much longer.

Several of us on here had a really hard time with Simpson being selected. I agree with all of the above.

alagator said:

BINGO! THAT'S A GOODIE.

You, sir, are DEAD ON. If Simeon Castille is selected a permanent captain, it will all make sense.

Frankly, I'd like to see the University place the team's record in concrete with the footprints... it should be a part of their permanent legacy (as is losing to MS State twice in a row).

It is truly disgraceful.

Bryant34 said:
Frankly, I'd like to see the University place the team's record in concrete with the footprints... it should be a part of their permanent legacy...
I absolutely LOVE this idea.

I encourage all the members here to email this idea to someone, anyone, in the Athletic Dept. I will communicate it personally to a few people.

Bryant34 said:
alagator said:

BINGO! THAT'S A GOODIE.

You, sir, are DEAD ON. If Simeon Castille is selected a permanent captain, it will all make sense.

Frankly, I'd like to see the University place the team's record in concrete with the footprints... it should be a part of their permanent legacy (as is losing to MS State twice in a row).

It is truly disgraceful.

You were right up to the record thing. I don't think you should fault or punish a player just for losing games that should of been won. This is the game of football and Denny Chimes is for remembering former leaders. It should only be a place for positive Bama history, records being great or not. Personally, I think your right in Juwan's case though.

Tider 27 said:
You were right up to the record thing. I don't think you should fault or punish a player just for losing games that should of been won. This is the game of football and Denny Chimes is for remembering former leaders. It should only be a place for positive Bama history, records being great or not. Personally, I think your right in Juwan's case though.

You're exactly right, and I truly don't think they would ever do what I suggested (it was a little tongue-in-cheek).

Also, not to contradict myself, but there are a few guys, like Matt Caddell and Darren Mustin, who's play on the field represents PRIDE in the program. I think you can tell the ones to whom IT matters. They clearly are not the majority.

I appreciate that we honor the team captains of the National Championship teams with their names etched in the Walk of Champions, and that is appropriate. Those of us that haven't taken to Alzheimer's yet will see the names, hands and footprints, along with the year, and remember just how bad 2007 really was... just as we remember 1997, 2000 and other recent years too many to mention.

My main point to that was that these guys only have one chance to make a lasting impression on the program... it's too bad that the lasting impression left by the leaders on this team is one of apathy.

Back
Top Bottom