| OT Yellowstone

When you have a parent dealing with Lupus, there's nothing great about life.

BUT, when it comes to things like hiking, biking, golfing, fishing, eating....yeah, Charleston is a pretty cool area.
My wife has it, thankfully the symptoms have been pretty mild so far.

I've never seen tournaments keep up with inches of bass, always been weight. 121 inches with 5 fish should be over a 7 pound average, I need to try that lake out.

My wife has it, thankfully the symptoms have been pretty mild so far.

I've never seen tournaments keep up with inches of bass, always been weight. 121 inches with 5 fish should be over a 7 pound average, I need to try that lake out.
The kayak clubs go by inches. It's judged, per month, on specific bodies of water, by inches. Your top five for the month.

I'd have to ask...I think May was 111".

@Krimson There is a body of water in Crowfield, a golf course I play quite often. The bass in that water are HUGE. HUGE. So are the gators.

The "lake" is a drain off for the neighborhood, the course, etc. I wouldn't eat ANYTHING out of that water. I won't fish it...but IF I did, HUGE.

I run into gators all the time on the reservoir. They don't bother me. Those? There? Uh, no. I've seen too many dogs floating in the water...

@Krimson There is a body of water in Crowfield, a golf course I play quite often. The bass in that water are HUGE. HUGE. So are the gators.

The "lake" is a drain off for the neighborhood, the course, etc. I wouldn't eat ANYTHING out of that water. I won't fish it...but IF I did, HUGE.

I run into gators all the time on the reservoir. They don't bother me. Those? There? Uh, no. I've seen too many dogs floating in the water...
I'd have to try fishing the golf course. We have a lot of gators where I grew up. They killed the world record one where I fish most of the time and in the lake my folks live on. Never had one bother anyone I knew and we swam there all the time. I wouldn't want to be on shore, especially at night around the golf course water but I'd like to throw a kayak in and see what i could catch. I was wondering what the big gators there would eat, sounds like pets. I went to the joint base there a few times, seems like they had a big gator they had named in a pond there.

I'd have to try fishing the golf course. We have a lot of gators where I grew up. They killed the world record one where I fish most of the time and in the lake my folks live on. Never had one bother anyone I knew and we swam there all the time. I wouldn't want to be on shore, especially at night around the golf course water but I'd like to throw a kayak in and see what i could catch. I was wondering what the big gators there would eat, sounds like pets. I went to the joint base there a few times, seems like they had a big gator they had named in a pond there.
Are you talking about the gator on the 16th? He was 17 feet the last I saw him...

@Krimson I striped a ball one day with my cousin (sub teacher) on that course and the ball was ... maybe 15' from the green. He was there. He's never attacked any golfer. We all just tend so say, "okay, next hole." You can find balls in the middle of the fairway and you know..."okay, he's out."

@Krimson I striped a ball one day with my cousin (sub teacher) on that course and the ball was ... maybe 15' from the green. He was there. He's never attacked any golfer. We all just tend so say, "okay, next hole." You can find balls in the middle of the fairway and you know..."okay, he's out."
This may be the stupidest joke running in the world...just leave him alone.

Yep, I'd leave it. I'm not a golfer so didn't associate him with the course, just remembered a sign or something with his name on the base. It's been a minute since I was there

Yeah. Charleston is cool. Especially for me

My mom n dad met there...WW2....she worked on the ships. He flew as a bombarde...
Interesting! My grandad was a bomber squadron commander throughout the war. Mostly on the Lexington. Had many stories, even wrote an autobiography in the late 1980’s, thankfully. One of the first Heisman winners was in his squadron, Nile Kinnick. He stayed in touch with Nile’s parents for many years after Nile died in a training accident. Stayed in touch with his entire group until they each passed away, had annual meetings together. Those guys were special.

Yep, I'd leave it. I'm not a golfer so didn't associate him with the course, just remembered a sign or something with his name on the base. It's been a minute since I was there
The last time I played that course was in the early 90's. There was no fence around the pond. He just..."roamed?"

My memory is shit this morning. There was a golf course off of Skyland in Tuscaloosa...it was a "goat track" You'd think cows grazed there. HORRIBLE. But cheap. That's what the course there was like the last time I played there when Charlies was 'free'.

The course at the base. Nice clubhouse. Nice driving range. The first hole and the 18th, both looked good from the house before you teed off. Until you got to #2.

I have no clue if that course is there any longer. After getting out of the bar we had at the base, I only go there to launch a boat. Both boats we take out are docked off the Ashley at a friends dock...so, don't do that anymore.

Anyway...

Seeing gators of Charlies' size is so "common place" now. I've had a few bump the kayak (which scared the shit out of me) but otherwise it's not a big thing. Just leave 'em alone.

If you are wondering...yes, I do carry a gun on the water.

The last time I played that course was in the early 90's. There was no fence around the pond. He just..."roamed?"

My memory is shit this morning. There was a golf course off of Skyland in Tuscaloosa...it was a "goat track" You'd think cows grazed there. HORRIBLE. But cheap. That's what the course there was like the last time I played there when Charlies was 'free'.

The course at the base. Nice clubhouse. Nice driving range. The first hole and the 18th, both looked good from the house before you teed off. Until you got to #2.

I have no clue if that course is there any longer. After getting out of the bar we had at the base, I only go there to launch a boat. Both boats we take out are docked off the Ashley at a friends dock...so, don't do that anymore.

Anyway...

Seeing gators of Charlies' size is so "common place" now. I've had a few bump the kayak (which scared the shit out of me) but otherwise it's not a big thing. Just leave 'em alone.

If you are wondering...yes, I do carry a gun on the water.
I've been around a bunch of gators, even did the gator hunt when alabama made it legal (knew of some that disappeared before it was legal). I don't worry about them much and not at all until they're in the 10 foot range, an 8 footer may weigh 125 and 10 feet gets to 5 or 600. Crazy how they start getting so much wider over 8. My wife didn't feel the same though. Took her to the river one summer when she was hot and pregnant and had a little 5 or 6 footer swimming about 25 yards behind her. When I showed it to her I'm pretty sure I saw a pregnant woman walk on water, she was pissed at me.

I've had little ones hiss at me, bite my lure, and come up to the boat but the big ones have always avoided me. Not sure how I'd feel if a 10 plus bumped my kayak but I'd definitely want a gun.

I've had little ones hiss at me, bite my lure, and come up to the boat but the big ones have always avoided me. Not sure how I'd feel if a 10 plus bumped my kayak but I'd definitely want a gun.
This is one of those emotions I still can't quite process.

We are at the tail end of mating season. I listen to the bulls and it shakes me, scares me to a point. But, I can't stop trying to get closer to get a good look.

There's a neighborhood called "Eagles Landing" that is bordering the reservoir. It's not a misnomer. I've seen dozens of bald eagles when I"m on the water. Dozens.

Weirdest thing...saw one on, ON, a gator one day.

Here's another little observation. The gator\s are active this year. In the past when this has happened the shrimp crop was crazy. If this holds, I can grab 48qts of shrimp in about an hour.

I mentioned the bass pull...

My freezer is going to be STOCKED.

Spent a bunch of times working wildfires in okefenokee swamps when it was in major drought.
Come up on a water hole. Had better be careful.... they were there and not happy

Later went to florida in big cypress on wildfires . Same. Shocked the mosquitoes didnt carry them away.

Lol

Gators n bears. Not to be friendly with

One really nice thing. Though
No snakes. Gators ate em

Back
Top Bottom