| FTBL Will Muschamp leaves Auburn for Texas

I hearing two different sides to this story, both are interesting. One, has to deal with contract issues only, another contract issues combined with some ill will felt towards a few in the Admin of a few different departments.

As usual, in what I'm hearing coming from some in Birmingham, when WM was interviewing for different jobs he approached Tubs and told him he would like to get a shot at an HC position. He was asked how much it would take to keep him and they agreed on a figure of 850K over years.

Then, and not surprisingly, these accounts turned to putting blame on Sexton for putting Muschamp's name out there with TX. He interviewed, told Tubs, and Tubs told him to "honor the contract or split." You know the rest of the story.

Then, I hear from some around Montgomery that this all started with a dispute in the ticket office for Muschamp to get extra tickets...he was denied them, only to learn they had held others back for people in the Ath. Dept.

Then, when given his new contract which he thought was guaranteed for two years he found out it was linked to Tuberville...so, there actually wasn't a guarantee in place. (the ole' fine print) When he brought it up he didn't get the best of reactions from their AD, Jacobs, and that led to him calling Sexton and the rest is history.

I tend to believe there is more truth in the last account than the first.

Don't know, don't really care. But, it is another interesting story to follow from the sidelines, so to speak.

Terry I read this morning that issues with the contract linking him to Tubs was right and some other things about the contract that didn't sit well with Muschamp. Some miscomunications from the Ath. Director.

Jacobs did say he told Muschamp that what ever problems,money or rewording the contract, there would be no questions about getting it right for W. Muschamp. Basically anything he wanted to stay.
Guess by that time it was too late or the damage had been done.
I believe the article was by Phillip Marshall from Times. I think.

kudzu said:
Terry I read this morning that issues with the contract linking him to Tubs was right and some other things about the contract that didn't sit well with Muschamp. Some miscomunications from the Ath. Director.

Jacobs did say he told Muschamp that what ever problems,money or rewording the contract, there would be no questions about getting it right for W. Muschamp. Basically anything he wanted to stay.

FWIW, the story as relayed to me about the issues with the contract came from what I would call the "Muschamp camp." In other words, his version of the story.

I heard about Marshall's story this morning as well and that's one of the reasons I tend to believe the second story more so than the first. The details of the story are virtually the same, until the last part.

With the one version you mentioned Jacobs said, "anything you want, we'll do." On the other version (the one I heard) it was more along the lines of, "considering the chances you will leave in the next year or so are great, why worry about a single line or two in the contract?"

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

All of that pointed out, there is one thing that struck me as having a great possibility although this is just my opinion. I heard that Jacobs was rather "uncompliant" when talking to Muschamp about the contract. That reaction fits when weighed against the complaints and comments I've heard for years about how the ticket office has responded to people over the last few years. If you didn't know, Jacobs came from the ticket office...

TerryP said:
kudzu said:

FWIW, the story as relayed to me about the issues with the contract came from what I would call the "Muschamp camp." In other words, his version of the story.

I heard about Marshall's story this morning as well and that's one of the reasons I tend to believe the second story more so than the first. The details of the story are virtually the same, until the last part.

With the one version you mentioned Jacobs said, "anything you want, we'll do." On the other version (the one I heard) it was more along the lines of, "considering the chances you will leave in the next year or so are great, why worry about a single line or two in the contract?"

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

All of that pointed out, there is one thing that struck me as having a great possibility although this is just my opinion. I heard that Jacobs was rather "uncompliant" when talking to Muschamp about the contract. That reaction fits when weighed against the complaints and comments I've heard for years about how the ticket office has responded to people over the last few years. If you didn't know, Jacobs came from the ticket office...

I guess we may never know exactly what the complete story is but with what is being spread around through the media and internet and what you have been told, it's a safe bet that it's pretty accurate.

I wonder if this is going to spring board internal issues with Tubs again? Seems every year there is something that causes a ruckus with in the program.

Back
Top Bottom