| FTBL Why this Natioanl Championship is different from the one in 2009

sk33tr

el jefe
For me, this National Championship is very different from the one in 2009. In 2009, it was our first one since 1992. That's 17 years. That was a long time to wait. The one in 2009 felt so special. It felt new.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people had forgotten how it felt to win a National Championship. I know I did. I remember the one in '92.....vividly. I remember what it felt like being on top of the world as a fan of the greatest college football team. But over time, that feeling started to fade; especially in the years between Coach Stallings' last season and '09. Granted, we did have a hint of success; the SEC Championship in '99. But we had more lows than highs. The Franchione years. The Mike Price debacle. We were laughed at by everyone. We were told we'd never be relevant, again.

But in 2007, all that changed.

And that Championship in 2009 was extra sweet. It was basically a big "F YOU" to all the naysayers who said we'd never be relevant, again. It felt new. It felt extra special.

Now, with 6 National Championships in 12 years, it seems normal. AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! I LOVE this feeling. I know it will end one day. Coach Saban will eventually retire; as all coaches do. And we'll be on the hunt, again, for the next coach to lead us. But until then, I'll continue riding this wave of euphoric normalcy as long as I can.

Cheers to the guys who got it done on the field, this season. You give us something to cheer for. We live vicariously through you. Cheers to the coaching staff for leading and mentoring these young men to be the best they can be; both on the field and off. And cheers to all the support staff behind the scenes. Y'all help make the dream happen in more ways than 1 and are in integral part of the Alabama football program.

I'm so proud to be a fan of this team.

ROLL TIDE!!!

Well said. I have really enjoyed this one for a few reasons. Under Saban the number of opportunities is narrowing whether we like it or not. I am just enjoying it for as long as we can. Secondly they were indeed the best and there was nothing anyone could do about it. The offense was simply unstoppable. Lastly in the midst of the craziness of this world this team provided us with an escape. That was much needed in so many ways.

Roll Tide gentlemen.

This one and 2009 are my favorites so far. 2009 was incredible and fittingly ended by beating a nemesis at the Rose Bowl, and set the stage for what was to come. This year was special in its own way, but it was also nice enjoying the games, knowing that we'd win every one of them. An absolutely stress free season, other than hoping COVID didn't shut it down. Just a bonus that both seasons were the only undefeated ones. And to look back on the way college football, and this program, have evolved over that time is quite something.

Coach Saban said after the 2009 championship:

“I want everybody here to know, this is not the end. This is the beginning, This team, our fans, our athletics administration has proven that we know what it takes, and we’re going to build on that in the future with the players that we have coming back next year and the future players that are building our program into the greatest and the most consistent winning program in the country.”

And he did just that and the whole nation knows it. I loved hearing that as each and every Alabama fan did.

I remember when Coach Bryant became our coach. I was 5 years old. My uncle has told me I asked him, "who is Bear Bryant?" He replied, "the coach who will make us champions again."

The years rolled by and we hired Coach Saban. Believe it or not, I had a young nephew ask me, "who is Nick Saban?" I said, "the coach who will make us champions again."

That same nephew asked me last week before the game, "Uncle Wayne, do you remember what you told me about Coach Saban?"

This championship may be my favorite just because. Roll Tide everyone!

2013 meant a lot to me because I went. I had been through a lot academically and was given a second shot at success by the University of Alabama. We moved to Tuscaloosa and it meant the world to me. Got my degree and we had a stellar year culminating in a whooping of Notre Dame. I had never experienced a run like that as I grew up a Georgia fan. Even being a tad older than the students I sat with I still felt it inside. It was an amazing feeling to buy in 100% not only to the athletics, but the academic side and to grow as a person.

2018 was amazing just because of the opponent. I felt like a kid in a candy shop.

2021 was emotional for me as I have four kids now, put a ton of effort into their athletic lives and realize all the time and effort that goes into that. The joy I get from that is exactly what I saw on Saban's face after we beat Ohio State. It hit me in the heart because I feel that same emotion each time I see my kid achieve any kind of success. All the stories about him being mean, unhappy yadda yadda, it was amazing for everyone to see the guy we have cone to know. Just a great feeling.

I remember 92 very vividly, too. I was at that very first SECCG as a senior in high school, about to enroll at UA the next year, and we were sitting in the endzone when Antonio Langum ran that game winning interception pick back and we were 3 rows up, I could have nearly given him a high 5 if he wasn't already celebrating.

That was a long time until 09, so that one was special, too, as was 11 because it was a defense as good as I had ever seen, maybe better than the 92. But this one seems more special than any of them, because we've never blown people out like this before, and I'm afraid we may never again.

I honestly don't know how these other fan bases are as rabid as they are, going decades between NC's, if any at all. We are spoiled rotten being Bama fans, and I don't care how bad I stink!

That ‘92 game was so exciting. Our team came out with swagger like I’d never seen. They were pumped and confident. It was the first NC game I’d seen. I remember our defense blitzing like every other play. We had some formations on D where we had 11 guys on the LOS. At least as I remember. It was insane. That’s how good our D was that year.

Maybe we should just say the NC's are like our children and we love them all but each are unique.

I have to go back to the 70's since that was the first time I remember NC's. Probably my favorite in that era would be the 1979 sugar bowl just because of the two teams and the goal line stand. That was just mano a mano. 1992 was great due to the layoff between NC's and the Miami players needed to be put in their place. 2009 obviously special due to the long layoff and knocking UF off their pedestal. Oh and we made Tebow cry :). You could tell Saban had built something special. 2011 had the great defense and just completely smothered the Who's offense. 2012 just great because we were able to exercise a lot of demons by demolishing ND. On and on.....

As I said each are like our children :) .

2020 is special because it's a confirmation that under the well-oiled Saban process the Bama machine continues to roll on. Had he not won it in 2020 it would have been the first time he had gone more than two yeara since his previous NC while at Bama. This over a 14 year period at Bama - almost too incredible to comprehend. Instead, the dynasty continues, and it becomes more incredible the longer it continues. Saban is still vibrant and on top of the game - perhaps more so than ever before. If he stays another 10 years - which isn't out of the realm of possibility - he has a legitimate chance to get to 10 NCs. And we are all lucky enough to be here and be fans while it all continues to unfold.

You Guys ....your memories....your remembrances are truly awesome...
....to me....i love em all the same...this was my 12th growing up...

1....this team i do believe is the most exciting team i have ever watched... i thought it was Tua and bama in 2018...2019.......but it was 2020...perfect in place kicking.
Not knowing if it would happen or finish once it started..and another HT
2....2020...covid prevented us attending games.... so sad...after all those years..
3.....beating osu was special....but so was texas and ND...
4....after sitting in "game of century" in ttown vs lsu....beating them for NC was incredible....and them not crossing50 but once... that D....
5.....remembering my first as a little boy...1961.... my first bama hero...pat trammel
Who i got to see in a HS game...vs Gadsden High...
6.... that 92 team.....whoa Nellie....probably watched it 100 times...
7.....78/79.... 15/17..... loved em... that comeback vs UGA.... the greatest play in CF history...Tua to Smith...in OT after the missed fg at end of regulation...vs Clemson...Drakes KO return..the goal line stand vs PSU...playing near flawless vs Arkansas and capping aperfect season

But i guess my #1 will be....
....being at Orange Bowl in 1965.... and beating Nebraska in a "un-bear like" offensive shootout......our skinny little boys vs Nebraska giants...Creed Gilmer (170 pound DE) vs Nebraskas all american OT..Jeter (i believe..at 275lbs).. Steve Sloan quarter backing flawlessly... back n forth game...

great memories...

This one was my favorite because I know we’re approaching the end of the Saban era and just how dominate we were

according to how one defines end......and i doubt that the end of his coaching tenure is close....... just all the "anti-bamas" looking forward toit...
The success will carry on...or can carryon... but there will be the naysayers....jumping on-"the end is coming..."...baloney

Was a GA fan until I moved to B'ham in 85. Couldn't find GA on TV and everyone asked was i for Bama or Auburn. I said I already hated Auburn so been with Bama since. The coach Mike years were tough but the ride has been great.

Back
Top Bottom