| FTBL Why Texas A&M vs. Florida Is Now Most Likely SEC Championship Game

PhillyGirl

Why Texas A&M vs. Florida Is Now Most Likely SEC Championship Game | Bleacher Report

In August, if you would have told somebody that the most likely matchup in the 2015 SEC Championship Game is Texas A&M vs. Florida, people would have told you that you were crazy.

You don't know football.

You're clearly a fan of either the Aggies or the Gators (or both).

You need to do a little more research.

Yet here we are five weeks into the season, with that being the most likely matchup for the annual event held the first week of December at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.

2015 SEC Standings

SEC East Team Conf. Rec. Overall Rec.

1. Florida 3-0 5-0
2. Georgia 2-1 4-1
3. Kentucky 2-1 4-1
4. Missouri 1-1 4-1
T5. Tennessee 0-2 2-3
T5. Vanderbilt 0-2 2-3
7. South Carolina 0-3 2-3

SEC West Team Conf. Rec. Overall Rec.

T1. Texas A&M 2-0 5-0
T1. LSU 2-0 4-0
3. Ole Miss 2-1 4-1
T4. Alabama 1-1 4-1
T4. Arkansas 1-1 2-3
6. Mississippi State 1-2 3-2
7. Auburn 0-2 3-2

For Florida, the reason is simple. It's the most complete team in the SEC East, and there isn't a close second.

The Gators are giving up just 304.2 yards per game, are giving up just 16.6 points per game (third in the conference), have a front seven that can shut down the run and one of the best secondaries in college football.

The surprise for the Gators this year—and what makes them so dangerous—is that all of the offseason questions we had about the offense have been answered.

Quarterback Will Grier has thrown 10 touchdowns and only three picks, proved that he can come up big in key spots in the dramatic 28-27 fourth-quarter comeback win over Tennessee in Week 4 and tore up Ole Miss' defense—which is loaded with talent—in a 38-10 home win in Week 5.

He's been the beneficiary a lot of help too.

Once a sore spot, the Gator offensive line dominated the line of scrimmage against the Rebels. Think about that for a second. It wasn't a directional Sun Belt school or an FCS foe, this was Ole Miss. Whether you think the Rebels as a team are overrated as a whole, their front seven led by defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche certainly is not.

"Obviously, the influx of the new guys has been fantastic. Let's not downplay the fact [tackle] Mason Halter's been doing a great job at a lot of different spots," head coach Jim McElwain said, according to quotes emailed by Florida. "Getting [guard] Trip [Thurman] back has been great. Obviously, the young guys have been doing a pretty darn good job in there. I would say the biggest thing I see there is they're starting to understand the value of communication."

Plus the wide receiver trio of Demarcus Robinson, Brandon Powell and Antonio Callaway has brought much-needed balance to the Gators.

"I really think it's a credit to that position group that they're actually investing into how you go about your work schedule," said McElwain. "How you are held accountable to be in the right spot. When you're in the right spot something good usually happens. I like that. I think that's good. What I also, I think, shows is that the quarterback's not like, 'hey, I gotta throw it to this guy,' it's 'let me go through my action and reaction and number three.'"

With a win over Tennessee on its resume and a front seven that's capable of at least slowing down Georgia's Nick Chubb and LSU star Leonard Fournette in their cross-division matchup, Florida is going to be tough to beat in the East.

Out West, there are no complete teams.

LSU's passing offense (95.5 yards per game) is ranked 124th out of 128 FBS teams—three spots behind Georgia Tech, a team that runs the triple option. Ole Miss has a loss and hasn't been able to run between the tackles like it needs to. Alabama has a loss, and we don't know if quarterback Jake Coker can match a team score for score if the Crimson Tide get into a shootout.

Plus, the emergence of running back Tra Carson (430 yards and four touchdowns) coupled with new offensive line coach/running game coordinator Dave Christensen's increased focus on the power rushing attack has given the offense much-needed balance.

The Aggies draw LSU at the end of the year in Baton Rouge, which isn't ideal. But the Tigers will be coming off of a big road trip to Ole Miss, while Texas A&M will have Vanderbilt in Nashville on the next-to-last weekend of the season.

The toughest test for Texas A&M might be against Alabama. But that will be the seventh game in as many weeks for the Crimson Tide, while Texas A&M has a bye week this week leading up to the showdown next weekend in College Station.

Plus, we now know that if the Aggies force their style of football on an opponent, defensive ends Myles Garrett and Daeshon Hall can and will tee off on opposing quarterbacks. Simply put, its high-octane offense puts Texas A&M's defense in prime position for success.

Is Texas A&M perfect?

Of course not.

The run defense ranks next-to-last in the SEC (182.60 yards per game), but that puts it at the back end of a group of five teams that are separated by just 12 rushing yards per game.

But Ole Miss and Alabama have losses, and it's hard to trust LSU at this point due to its woeful passing attack.

Texas A&M vs. Florida in Atlanta. Write it down (in pencil), because it's the most likely SEC Championship Game matchup through the first five weeks of the season.

I am not sold on Florida yet. They have LSU in a couple of weeks, and I expect them to lose that one. That will bring it down to the 'cocktail party' game in Jacksonville.

The Aggies, besides their game with UF, have us, LSU and Ole Miss still left and will get at last two losses from those four games.

agreed. i could see florida in close games with both uga and lsu. the aggies haven't gotten into the meat of their schedule yet. It is almost wide open on both sides of the conference.

Still way too early, I'd argue that UF and TAMU haven't really played anyone yet. Lots of meat on the bone still for many of these schools, LSU included (look at their last 4-5 games of the season).

Aggies will loose either Us or LSU or OLE Siss. OLE Siss will loose to either LSU or Aggies. LSU will loose to either US, OLE Siss or Aggies. If this outcome holds true, and we win out we go to Hotlanta. We just need to take care of Aggies and LSU. (Arky, MS State, Tinnysea, and Allbarn) are a given. If we beat the Aggies next week I really like our chances to win out. We beat up each other so much that it causes our rankings to fluctuate widely when a SEC team looses. Get the bandwagon out for FL this week and someone else next week.

A lot of football to play yet.

Is that right? A&M are last in run defense in the conference? They are going to get destroyed a few weeks. The Hogs almost won the ball control game against them & their D is ok...

This might be a repeat of last year against them except they might score.

I'd be more likely to cast LSU over Texas A&M. A&M had a good game against Arizona State, but struggled a good bit against Arkansas. I think we beat A&M and will have to hold on tight against LSU. Of course, we still need Ole Miss to slip up once more, which I could see happening since they really looked awful against Florida, and LSU can wear them down like our offense did.

I buy UF at this point way more than I buy the CollieYellFarmers

Media is anointing Allen early like they did Hill last year. I think they are better but I don't see them going undefeated just yet. I could be wrong

Back
Top Bottom