| FTBL Why Eli couldn’t have called the game from home?

It would’ve been impossible to get the video feed in his house to sync w/ the one John Parker Wilson/the rest of the crew had.

If you have watched Gameday this year you can see very quickly how hard it is to keep things going well even when there is no playcalling going on. Matter of fact, if you have had one of those 4-6 person Teams/Zoom meetings where everyone can talk you find out how hard it is to sync up.

Just passing on what was reported on F'baum.
I assumed that might be the case Saturday when considering his wife is under the same quarantine. This makes more sense to me. Even when I thought about them setting up the equipment in Eli's house I wondered how they'd separate themselves, have test runs, etc.

In the game thread Saturday a few were commenting on members posting about plays they hadn't seen. The syncing issues with Jay and Eli are one thing; now include the 100's of thousands watching on different mediums. Someone would be watching the team kickoff while Eli's is calling the touchdown from a minute ago.

Someone would be watching the team kickoff while Eli's is calling the touchdown from a minute ago.

Hulu was always way behind live. I would get notifications of end of periods while I was still showing a minute left. The online stream of Eli was even further behind than that. When I watched a game using the antenna as opposed to Hulu, he was even further behind the game.

I think the entire radio crew (or most of it) was in quarantine over the weekend, I assume from contact tracing stemming from Eli. They were broadcasting from multiple separate boxes in Bryant-Denny Saturday for both the football game and that night while calling the basketball game.

yeah it sucks because my best friend is constantly texting me during the games, and he's always a minute or so ahead of me, so I get plays spoiled for me constantly. I'm using Youtube TV, he's on direct TV or something, and even when I had Dish, he was ahead of me.

I have youtube tv. My gameday buddy and I sync early and gauge the delay. He has cable. I have seen delays as large as 15-18 seconds when streaming to the roku I have connected to my tv. If I stream to my laptop and then project my screen to the tv it is better maybe 8-10 seconds although it can vary. This past weekend I tried my iphone for the first time and that was the best of the three. Only a few seconds behind. All of this is on the same home wifi AND from the same service provider so this is all about the differences in performance of the device you are using to stream.

I expect some network delay but was surprised to see the differences in delay between the different devices.

I assumed that might be the case Saturday when considering his wife is under the same quarantine. This makes more sense to me. Even when I thought about them setting up the equipment in Eli's house I wondered how they'd separate themselves, have test runs, etc.

In the game thread Saturday a few were commenting on members posting about plays they hadn't seen. The syncing issues with Jay and Eli are one thing; now include the 100's of thousands watching on different mediums. Someone would be watching the team kickoff while Eli's is calling the touchdown from a minute ago.
It happen during the Kentucky game. @alabama mike had posted TD BAMA!! I was watching and Kentucky still had the ball. I had to back out of the game and come back into it. Just to catch up with the feed. Push I was watching it thought Sling. So I figure it was why I lag behind during the game.

Back
Top Bottom