| NEWS Who does Gene Stallings expect to play for national title? - AL.com

They're going to look like they would rather be the first or second seed.
How do you come to that conclusion?

After the run through the BCS what did the B1G cry about? Conference champs have to be in despite their record. We're seeing the same thing out of ACC coaches; the latest being Mac Brown.

Within our own conference when UGA and AU were getting their collective butts handed to them on the recruiting trail in the spring what did they do? Enact legislation to attempt to level the playing field. The PAC isn't making it to the playoffs? Their stance, it's all about the conference games and how many are played. The same is echoed in the Big 12.

From what we've experienced over the last decade seldom do we see "we need to get to their level," It's been, "let's legislate them back down to ours." It's not "we need to improve to make that four," it's "let's expand the playoffs to get lesser teams in." Here we are looking back over the last decade and see Bama has played more ranked teams than anyone and yet everyone is still on their "it's a weak schedule." And they'll consider a structure to give Bama a bye? Or, any SEC team for that matter?

I don't see it within the DNA of the vast majority of P5 schools administrations.

I'm sure. But wanting the bye, and being okay with a team like Bama getting a bye, aren't compatible in my eyes. It's an assumption on my part, Tim, no doubt. I've yet to see anything from these other conferences and teams that would lead me to believe otherwise.

My statement of "I think 6 is better than 8" isn't based on any assessment of other conferences not wanting to do the work to measure up to Bama's standard. I just think if they choose to expand the playoff, 1 and 2 seeds should be rewarded with a bye, not simply a lower seeded team to take on in the first round.

Back
Top Bottom