| FTBL Which freshmen see action?

• Thread starter imported_Porter
  • Start date
I

imported_Porter

This is my best guess... feel free to post your own...

2 Star Jackson QB - Likely headed for a redshirt year unless injuries take a toll at the QB position.

22 Mark Ingram RB - Will get significant playing time in a back-up role.

31 Ivan Matchett RB - Likely redshirt candidate.

36 Chris Jordan RB - Could see time on special teams unit, if not, then he redshirts.

75 Barrett Jones OL - Likely redshirt candidate, unless a center or guard gets injured.

67 John Michael Boswell OL - Likely redshirt candidate.

72 Tyler Love OL - More than likely he will play in a back-up role, but could earn the starting spot at right tackle at some point this season.

17 Brad Smelley TE/H-BACK - Could play on special teams, but likely headed for a redshirt season.

8 Julio Jones WR - Will contribute immediately.

1 B.J. Scott WR - Same as Julio. Will play a very significant role on offense throughout the season.

87 Michael Williams TE/LB - Likely redshirt candidate.

62 Terrence Cody DT - Will contribute on defense, especially in run and short yardage situations.

92 Damion Square DT/DE - Likely redshirt candidate.

94 Undra Billingsley DE - Will likely play sparingly as a back-up.

54 Glenn Harbin DE - Likely redshirt candidate.

57 Marcel Dareus DE - Will play and make a significant contribution. Could easily push for a starting spot by mid-season.

41 Courtney Upshaw LB - Will likely contribute in a back-up role.

5 Jerrell Harris LB - Settles into the starting spot at Sam before the 4th game.

30 Don'ta Hightower LB - Will play a very significant role. Could earn a starting spot at Jack, but will likely man the middle until Prince hall returns from suspension.

46 Wesley Neighbors S - Likely redshirt candidate unless he plays on special teams.

37 Robert Lester S - Likely redshirt candidate unless he plays on special teams.

4 Mark Barron S - Will play a significant role and will be pushing for the starting spot by the 4th game.

23 Robby Green CB - Likely redshirt candidate.

15 Alonzo Lawrence CB - Will be a big contributor off the bench throughout the season.

Porter said:

2 Star Jackson QB - Likely headed for a redshirt year unless injuries take a toll at the QB position.

If he plays we are in for a long season because things have gone way south. I am very optomistic that JPW has a banner year and if not, I hope we plan go to another back up rather than wasting a year of Star's eligibility.

But back to the question, I think the following will definately see action this year:
Julio Jones
B.J. Scott
Jerrell Harris
Terrence Cody

I think the possiblity is good these will see action:
Mark Ingram
Tyler Love
Don'ta Hightower
Mark Barron
Alonzo Lawrence

I sit in a recliner on Saturdays in the fall, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :D

Hey Porter I hate to use the word "depth chart" :lol: but, Ingram has always been a big interest of mine. So how far behind Grant is Ingram. #2, #3, ????

NTT said:
Hey Porter I hate to use the word "depth chart" :lol: but, Ingram has always been a big interest of mine. So how far behind Grant is Ingram. #2, #3, ????

It is tough to say, they have only had pads on for a couple of days. Obviously, Grant has a better grasp of what college football is all about at this point, and while both are learning a new offense, Grant is going to be more familiar with schemes and such. As far as ability, they both bring a different style to the table. I think Saban will use a 3 (or 4) headed monster at RB. You might see 3 different starters in 3 games. IMO, Ingram is going to get his carries though... and with the limited practice that they have had, the reviews he has gotten seem to back that up. The kid is the real deal.

Porter wrote:

If he plays we are in for a long season because things have gone way south. I am very optomistic that JPW has a banner year and if not, I hope we plan go to another back up rather than wasting a year of Star's eligibility.

What do you mean.

elbatider said:
I am very optomistic that JPW has a banner year and if not, I hope we plan go to another back up rather than wasting a year of Star's eligibility.

If he's the second best QB on the team, and he very well could be by the time September rolls around, and he has to play because JPW gets hurt, then that wouldn't be wasting a year IMO. It would be wasting a year by NOT playing him. Even if Wilson stays healthy all season, if Star is the clear cut #2 guy, he still could very well see some snaps to get some experience.

Regardless, while Jackson is a talented player, he isn't guaranteed to be our "QB of the Future", so wasting a year could end up being moot in the end. You can bet that AJ McCarron is going to give him a run for his money in years to come. Also, you have to factor in the fact that Saban is going to sign a stud QB pretty every February.

shipley00 said:
I agree down the board... except I'm surprised by this one:

57 Marcel Dareus DE - Will play and make a significant contribution. Could easily push for a starting spot by mid-season.

I guess he's been doing really well?

Many thought that the 3 star rating Dareus received from Rivals and Scout was a major underevaluation. He is an extraordinary athlete for his size.

psychojoe said:
shipley00 said:

Many thought that the 3 star rating Dareus received from Rivals and Scout was a major underevaluation. He is an extraordinary athlete for his size.

Kids fall into that quite a bit. When these services are rating athletes, they do so in terms of when they think they can contribute. IE: 5*, true freshman year and so on.

Alonzo Lawrence was under-rated b/c most thought he wouldn't qualify. Same with Dareus. What I don't understand is this "rule" isn't applied across the board. Last season, there were question marks all season long about whether Deandre Brown would qualify yet he was rated very highly.

He didn't make it in school (SEC.)

The only question mark I have with this list is I think Cody contributes more than just situational downs.

(avoided using Porter's caveat, "likely." :lol: )

psychojoe said:
shipley00 said:

That 3 star rating is another great example of why I pretty much ignore and take very little stock in star ratings. That 3 star rating was a joke. If they can't evaluate a guy that is that good on film, why should I trust their judgment on guys that are not that good? So, I don't.

Porter said:
elbatider said:
I am very optomistic that JPW has a banner year and if not, I hope we plan go to another back up rather than wasting a year of Star's eligibility.

If he's the second best QB on the team, and he very well could be by the time September rolls around, and he has to play because JPW gets hurt, then that wouldn't be wasting a year IMO. It would be wasting a year by NOT playing him. Even if Wilson stays healthy all season, if Star is the clear cut #2 guy, he still could very well see some snaps to get some experience.

Regardless, while Jackson is a talented player, he isn't guaranteed to be our "QB of the Future", so wasting a year could end up being moot in the end. You can bet that AJ McCarron is going to give him a run for his money in years to come. Also, you have to factor in the fact that Saban is going to sign a stud QB pretty every February.

Point taken, but I don't feel that he will be the 2nd best player at the QB position by September or early October and that has nothing to do with talent because he probably is the most talented QB we have on the roster right now.

Back
Top Bottom