| FTBL When Will We Correct The Issues?

It is evident that we are not as dominate a team this year especially along the defensive or offensive lines. Blame it on recruiting misses from all the coaching changes over the past few years, all the little Sabanites in the SEC now that are collectively luring away some top talent from coming to the Capstone, a lack of developing these guys and actually playing them or losing so much talent and leadership to the NFL draft EVERY year. I believe it's a combination of a lot of different factors honestly. I don't believe this was our year to win another national title after all the talent we lost from last year. Overall, we are a young team that has played beyond expectations with all things being considered.

The lost to Texas A&M was frustrating, but a fluke game that falls on both players and coaches. Coaches can't catch passes and tackle, while players can't scheme for the opposing team and call better plays in the red zone. I don't believe we will beat Jawja if we play them. LS(who) just laid out a defensive blueprint for any team we face going forward and Jawja is damn good on defense this year. This wouldn't be as big of an issue if we had Sark or Kiffin running the show on offense, but we have BoB and I just don't see his offense scheme getting it done against Jawja or possibly even Awbarn. Factor in our offensive line issues and it's just not happening. The slightest hope is getting Dalcourt back at center and replacing Owens with George, keeping Randolph in to block and having the running back in to block or chip the defensive end on pass routes. Honestly, I would love to see an extra lineman ( Kight or Brown) in to block. I know this will never happen, but I've been in favor of having O'Neal, Kight, Dalcourt, Ekiyor and George as a starting line especially with our straight forward blocking schemes while using Brown and/or Randolph as extra blockers when needed. Jawja is coming with an All-American caliber defensive front 7 that we need to match and our current lineup is not capable in my opinion.

Defensively, we have talent but there just seems to be too many errors and not enough elite talent. Our inability to control the line and consistently pressure the QB is our Achilles heel. Will Anderson is a one man show but he can't do it all. The talent gap between him and the rest of the defensive front is staggering. The fact that we don't rotate our LB's is frustrating. Moody and Kennedy are capable if not better in some scenarios. The secondary has potential to be outstanding but the lack of overall speed and mental errors are limiting. I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but Kool-Aid played an excellent game and should be on the field at all times. If not at corner, I would love to see him at star as Branch and Moore have both had their share of issues this year.

I see BAMA winning out the remainder of the regular season with a loss at jawja in the SECCG and a date against the loser of the Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State game in the Sugar Bowl. Final Record: 12-2.

As far as the playoffs, other than jawja I don't have a clue who gets in this year. Regardless, the next 4 weeks will be fun to watch! I do have Bryce Young winning the Heisman trophy especially if we can keep the SECCG close or possibly win it.

Finally, I do believe there will be some coaching changes.
I agree with this. You make some good points and I hope there are some coaching changes next year.

This is still a damn good team and I can assure you we ain’t getting “skull dragged” by anybody. Clemson with Lawrence is the only team that’s skull dragged us since Saban has been here (there might be 1 or 2 more can’t remember off the top of my head) and there isn’t one team in the country with that kind of offense.

Georgia is a damn good team…..defensively, but offensively they’re not super human or anything. Not saying we’ll beat them (although we all know Kirby will be Kirby at some point).

Regretfully, I don't think there is much that can be fixed by a large margin to win the NC, much less the SECCG. We're a good team right now. Not great. Not elite. And I think CNS knows this because there is only so much you can do.

I was out backpacking Pine Mountain over the weekend & listened to the game on the radio for the first time in a long time & Rashaad Johnson was pretty emphatic that we were getting beat at the LOS on both sides. Outside of Evan Neal & Will Anderson we are really lacking. However, there seem to be some guys that are beginning to leap the lackluster senior leadership on the DL, most notably Dallas Turner. Plus the RT who took Owens spot did pretty good minus the wife block that lead to the QB sack fumble.

And it is really obvious to me once Dalcourt was injured & we were getting blown up the middle our offensive game plan changed. We had to. That's why the offense sputtered so much.

And that's why I don't have any reason to think we will score more than 21 points against Jawja. Especially if Dalcourt is banged up or out of the game.

Regretfully, I don't think there is much that can be fixed by a large margin to win the NC, much less the SECCG. We're a good team right now. Not great. Not elite. And I think CNS knows this because there is only so much you can do.

I was out backpacking Pine Mountain over the weekend & listened to the game on the radio for the first time in a long time & Rashaad Johnson was pretty emphatic that we were getting beat at the LOS on both sides. Outside of Evan Neal & Will Anderson we are really lacking. However, there seem to be some guys that are beginning to leap the lackluster senior leadership on the DL, most notably Dallas Turner. Plus the RT who took Owens spot did pretty good minus the wife block that lead to the QB sack fumble.

And it is really obvious to me once Dalcourt was injured & we were getting blown up the middle our offensive game plan changed. We had to. That's why the offense sputtered so much.

And that's why I don't have any reason to think we will score more than 21 points against Jawja. Especially if Dalcourt is banged up or out of the game.
Overload blitz that side, bad communication on protection and BY compounded it by sliding into the free blitzer.

How about the fact that we have been averaging almost 500 ypg and 40+ ppg as a reason? Was the LSWho game the norm or the outlier? No doubt the D against UGA's D will be a challenge but not impossible.

How about the fact that we have been averaging almost 500 ypg and 40+ ppg as a reason? Was the LSWho game the norm or the outlier? No doubt the D against UGA's D will be a challenge but not impossible.

I think their scheme PLUS Dalcourt's injury greatly affected the offensive production, leaning more so to the injury. Losing your starting center is a problem against most in the SEC & it will affect your game plan to some degree. We adjusted by late 2nd & early 3rd quarter then we took the lead.

But Jawja is a completely different animal. Their strength is the inside of the defense. As it stands now, I expect them to eat up the A & B gaps creating pressure at Bryce Young up the middle. The offensive game plan is going to have to be to get him outside the pocket to have a chance. They are just too good up the middle & if Dalcourt is done or even gimpy it will be even worse.

With Dalcourt, he is likely the better option but in previous games he would get blown up at times. From the center, RG and RT have been our biggest issue.

In the first half when we were having issues blocking them, I mentioned to my buddy that I watch the games with, we need to throw some WR screens/bubbles to get them out of the box and slow down the blitz. We started doing that some at the end of the 2nd qtr and it was effective for a couple of drives.

I still think this was the outlier in terms of overall production based on the rest of the season. The offense has produced despite the problems.

At this point, “what you see is what you get”, so we will continue to have issues. We can’t play less than perfect and expect to win out and we are way less than perfect. I have tempered my expectations and still have hopes to be surprised in a good way. Maybe the defense will continue to bail us out?

With Dalcourt, he is likely the better option but in previous games he would get blown up at times. From the center, RG and RT have been our biggest issue.

In the first half when we were having issues blocking them, I mentioned to my buddy that I watch the games with, we need to throw some WR screens/bubbles to get them out of the box and slow down the blitz. We started doing that some at the end of the 2nd qtr and it was effective for a couple of drives.

I still think this was the outlier in terms of overall production based on the rest of the season. The offense has produced despite the problems.
I also wondered where the "screens" were to slowdown rush...
Watched last night....was just as bad as Saturday...

Call me crazy, but I think Owens at Center may be able to compete against Jordan Davis. Owens is a big ole boy and Davis' biggest advantage is his size. We get Owens experience this season at Center working with Bryce, we could have something. He wouldn't be working against a smaller/faster speed rusher at nose. Can Dalcourt play right guard? Leave George at Right Tackle and it's a re-tooled line, but it atleast shows willingness to change things up to find the best five.

Call me crazy, but I think Owens at Center may be able to compete against Jordan Davis. Owens is a big ole boy and Davis' biggest advantage is his size. We get Owens experience this season at Center working with Bryce, we could have something. He wouldn't be working against a smaller/faster speed rusher at nose. Can Dalcourt play right guard? Leave George at Right Tackle and it's a re-tooled line, but it atleast shows willingness to change things up to find the best five.
You know Saban believes the best five are playing. Why wouldn't he? From my perspective Owen or Dalcourt are not as physical as they need to be but they are who they are right now. Owen is probably as good as he is going to get. Dalcourt probably still has some room to improve since this is his first year to start. At the end of the day the OL has to play more physical.

Going forward heck the offense will probably play lights out and the D will regress. The inconsistency of this team is yet another problem. When you think one unit has it figured out then another issue crops up.

You know Saban believes the best five are playing. Why wouldn't he? From my perspective Owen or Dalcourt are not as physical as they need to be but they are who they are right now. Owen is probably as good as he is going to get. Dalcourt probably still has some room to improve since this is his first year to start. At the end of the day the OL has to play more physical.

Going forward heck the offense will probably play lights out and the D will regress. The inconsistency of this team is yet another problem. When you think one unit has it figured out then another issue crops up.

They may be the best five, but were they positioned correctly? Not saying Center is any less difficult, but the athleticism isn't as necessary as say the Tackle position. Like I used my 7-8 year olds, use them to simply clog the middle. Put a big boy like Owens on a big boy like Davis and I think we see more success than failures when you have a less imposing guy going up against an imposing one.

They may be the best five, but were they positioned correctly? Not saying Center is any less difficult, but the athleticism isn't as necessary as say the Tackle position. Like I used my 7-8 year olds, use them to simply clog the middle. Put a big boy like Owens on a big boy like Davis and I think we see more success than failures when you have a less imposing guy going up against an imposing one.
Pretty sure he also thinks he has them positioned correctly as a unit. Owen has played in some big games and has produced but he has never been a lights out mauler. He is not chump change just not elite.

These guys are pretty good just may not be championship level. I hope they get a fire under them (although it may take more than that) when they keep seeing their QB running for his life and in some cases picking himself up of the ground. That and not being able to run the ball should be the ultimate insult for an offensive lineman.

Got a game coming up to see and try something else if Nick thinks it needs be

Coaching staff change at end if season will be interesting to watch.

Nick sees all we see. And as unhappy with some results as we are

And Nick isn't afraid to make a change.

Got to push and get through this season with what he has

Pretty sure he also thinks he has them positioned correctly as a unit. Owen has played in some big games and has produced but he has never been a lights out mauler. He is not chump change just not elite.

These guys are pretty good just may not be championship level. I hope they get a fire under them (although it may take more than that) when they keep seeing their QB running for his life and in some cases picking himself up of the ground. That and not being able to run the ball should be the ultimate insult for an offensive lineman.

I haven't seen a game where he has played a complete game, and there have been some inferior teams on our schedule. Bryce was running around against Mercer even.

Like others have said, if he's ths best, what the hell is going on with our recruiters or position coaches? We just signed the best offensive line class ever, so why are they not ready when others before them have been? The best class ever, not my words, the recruiting world's words.

Back
Top Bottom