What's the Most Interesting, Valuable Thing You Own?

76ecb69d1aa0a3675a840e26e29d6f98.jpg

93f7652959f1bc5f489c2a6c5a7c3c4b.jpg

0b4beddcc4884bedd7f5a0504ffaeb8b.jpg

45ce3600619346ea7b32eacc5bb5ca17.jpg

Of course this is special as blake saw fit to give me this above anyone else after the game.

b3160dba87a0fc33113290917fc0765d.jpg

For some, I guess I would not qualify as a true Bama fan, as I do not collect any Bama memorabilia other than game programs and ticket stubs. Never been one to go after autographs. The only Bama related picture I have on my wall is this...

meandbear.jpg

I was 10 in this pic. Also was on crutches in this pic, broken leg.

For some, I guess I would not qualify as a true Bama fan, as I do not collect any Bama memorabilia other than game programs and ticket stubs. Never been one to go after autographs. The only Bama related picture I have on my wall is this...

meandbear.jpg

Shop

meandbear.jpg

So now we know what you look like... smart move, idiot.

But cool pic. Did he have compassion for you since you had a broken leg like him or did he yell at you and tell you to get back in the game, like he did?

So now we know what you look like... smart move, idiot.

But cool pic. Did he have compassion for you since you had a broken leg like him or did he yell at you and tell you to get back in the game, like he did?

Yep, I still look exactly like that...minus a lot of hair. He did try to recruit me for the 1989 team.

Kinda wanna be boz
I finally put to use all the stuff players gave me over the years. Had some of the stuff framed and bought cases. I never thought I'd end up with a man cave. I have a bunch of stuff I need to find a place for. Last year was especially generous, I'm looking at putting up some shelves.

My two favorites aren't really "valuable" in a monetary sense, but certainly interesting ..

Dad's father, my grandfather Sam, was stationed at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. He was an airplane mechanic, in the days before the Air Force. Right after the attack, he was sent back to the mainland. The one thing he brought back from Pearl Harbor was a coconut from a palm tree that had been on fire from bombs or something. It's burnt up on one side. Dad still has the coconut sitting on top of a book shelf at home.

My mom's mother, my Babci (grandmother in Polish) had one cousin, my "uncle" Eddie. He was a Navy boy in World War II and spent most of his time in the South Pacific. In August of 1945, he was sent to Japan for some reason (can't recall specifics) and went to Hiroshima. A day or two before the bomb fell. He bought a piece of art from a young woman in the middle of the town. It was made of wood, grass, leaves, and dirt from Hiroshima. She had created a sort of landscape of rolling hills. He left with the painting, and he never knew what happened to that woman but it's likely she was vaporized, he thinks. When he died, my family inherited the art. It still looks like it was just made yesterday. It's weird to hold a piece of pre-bomb Hiroshima.

Other than that, my valuables (some in a money sense, some in an interesting sense, some both) include autographs from Phillies and Eagles, old coins, fossils, first edition vinyl, first edition books, baseball cards, photos from way back (1800s- one great shot of my great-great-great grandfather, a rabbi in pre-pogrom Russia) and documents showing my family's involvement in the Revolutionary War.

And of course .. Beanie Babies ;)

My mom's mother, my Babci (grandmother in Polish) had one cousin, my "uncle" Eddie. He was a Navy boy in World War II and spent most of his time in the South Pacific. In August of 1945, he was sent to Japan for some reason (can't recall specifics) and went to Hiroshima. A day or two before the bomb fell. He bought a piece of art from a young woman in the middle of the town.
If he was in Hiroshima a day or two before the bomb fell, the obvious question is, on which side was he a "Navy boy"?

If he was in Hiroshima a day or two before the bomb fell, the obvious question is, on which side was he a "Navy boy"?

The side you'd think. He was indeed in Hiroshima at one point (could have been a month before or a day before, but my grandmother always says it was a day or two before), not sure why. But he did tell us about Hiroshima and purchasing the artwork. It is signed by the artist. I could look to see if it is dated next time I am home.

I also want to say that he went there on his own time, like he was on day leave or something .. But I can't be sure, I don't know enough about his story and about the history of the area at that time. I'll have to ask my dad next time, he would know the full story/details.

EDIT: Texted my mom, she said all she knows for sure about the dates are that he fought in Operation Iceberg but that he went to Hiroshima sometime between that and the bombing.

I have a hat with a lot of signatures on it, including Payne Stewart's, I have a first edition of a kinda obscure Mark Twain novel, and a Winchester Model 12 that belonged to a wonderful old Chief we hunted with when I was a kid. He left the shotgun to my father who left it to me.

Back
Top Bottom